• Announcements

    • Admin4

      TAMB CLOSURE ANNOUNCEMENT   09/06/2017

      Following diminishing numbers of visitors to TAMB and the subsequent reduction in TAMB income, it is the intention for TAMB to close definitively from 1st November 2017. TAMB can no longer generate enough advertising revenue to cover the costs of around £300/month to pay for the dedicated server that hosts the TAMB software.  The dedicated server is also older equipment and no longer maintainable, so at some point it would be necessary to migrate the TAMB to a new cloud-based platform. This is quite a large job and would take some time to do. We feel it wouldn't be a worthwhile task given the reduction in traffic and usage of TAMB.  It is the opinion of the TAMB Team that the days of messageboards have largely gone, being overtaken by other platforms. Thank you to all users of the TAMB over the years, and we look forward to seeing you on some other online forums in the future. Since announcing the closure, a number of questions have been asked.

      This is not a "boot in the arse" to Board members to increase traffic.

      It’s worth pointing out to any people wanting to take on the TAMB that they will quickly outstrip any “free” message board system. That’s what happened with the pre-2003 TAMB and also happened during the “current TAMB” in 2003 – 2004. 
      It’s all about the number of concurrent users online. At a point yesterday there were about 150 users online – Invision would be charging $130 per month for that. (https://invisioncommunity.com/buy)

      We would be prepared to do a handover of the domain names that we currently hold to non-profit making group who seriously wants to organise a new TAMB and has the skills and numbers to do it. This would not include existing software or server. We are especially keen that the platform or the name do not fall into the hands of what we can only call bawbags. We need not mention names, but I'm sure members can think of a few. Any new group would have to start from scratch and give TAMB a complete bottom up ‘makeover’ and make themselves financially viable.   We have a couple of people who are willing to offer advice to any serious players. The TAMB Team
    • Admin4

      Further to the Closure Announcement   09/07/2017

      Since announcing the closure, a number of questions have been asked.

      This is not a "boot in the arse" to Board members to increase traffic.

      It’s worth pointing out to any people wanting to take on the TAMB that they will quickly outstrip any “free” message board system. That’s what happened with the pre-2003 TAMB and also happened during the “current TAMB” in 2003 – 2004. hence the "high" cost of keeping the Board going.
      It’s all about the number of concurrent users online. At a point yesterday there were about 150 users online – Invision would be charging $130 per month for that. (https://invisioncommunity.com/buy)

      We would be prepared to do a handover of the domain names that we currently hold to a non-profit making group which seriously wants to organise a new TAMB and has the skills and numbers to do it. This would not include existing software or server. We are especially keen that the platform or the name do not fall into the hands of what we can only call bawbags. We need not mention names, but I'm sure members can think of a few. Any new group would have to start from scratch and give TAMB a complete bottom up ‘makeover’ and make themselves financially viable. We have a couple of people who are willing to offer advice to any serious players. The TAMB Team
dan cake

2017 movie thread

262 posts in this topic

seen "hell or high water" the other day

modern cowboy/heist film 

excellent throughout 

Ben Foster had been good in everything iv ever seen him in

very underrated actor

Edited by dan cake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking forward to :-

Trainspotting 2

Silence

Hacksaw Ridge 

Whatever the new star wars will be called

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know it was 2016 but I watched Hunt for the Wilderpeople at the weekend and it was excellent.  A real "feel good" movie and the young boy in it is tremendous.  Going to see La La Land on Friday on which I'll reserve judgement but I had to let the missus choose one sooner or later!!  Also booked up for Trainspotting 2 and want to catch Manchester By The Sea while it's in cinemas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking forward to,

Trainspotting 2

Great Wall

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2

Logan

Spiderman: Homecoming

Thor: Ragnarok (only because it will probably be the closest I will see to my fav Marvel story, Planet Hulk, on the big screen).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Looking forward to,

Trainspotting 2

Great Wall

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2

Logan

Spiderman: Homecoming

Thor: Ragnarok (only because it will probably be the closest I will see to my fav Marvel story, Planet Hulk, on the big screen).

Forgot about Great Wall, looking forward to that too even if it is a blatant attempt to exploit the Chinese market!  Also looking forward to Baby Driver and Alien Covenant and I'm undecided about Blade Runner 2049.

I have to say, the glut of Marvel movies are really starting to leave me cold.  I quite enjoyed the first couple of Iron Men (Iron Mans?) and the first Avengers was "OK" but they seem to be churning them out at about one a month now and the sole point of each film seems to be to set up the next one or a connected one.  They're all making billions though so I don't think it'll be changing any time soon!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Fairbairn said:

I have to say, the glut of Marvel movies are really starting to leave me cold.  I quite enjoyed the first couple of Iron Men (Iron Mans?) and the first Avengers was "OK" but they seem to be churning them out at about one a month now and the sole point of each film seems to be to set up the next one or a connected one.  They're all making billions though so I don't think it'll be changing any time soon!!

Yes, I have started to lose a bit of interest now also, but somewhat intrigued by their plans for 2017.

Loved Guardians Vol 1, so been counting down the days for Vol 2 since I saw it..... Spiderman: Homecoming looks to finally have taken all the elements of Spiderman that has not been there since the first Maguire movie..... the Wolverine solo movies have been somewhere between terrible and so-so up to now, and its really only because its Jackman's last outing as the character, plus the introduction of X-23 and that they are using elements of Oldman Wolverine and Death of Wolverine as source material..... same with Thor, not enjoyed any of his solo movies, and its really only because they are using Plant Hulk as source material that I am looking forward to this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

I know it was 2016 but I watched Hunt for the Wilderpeople at the weekend and it was excellent.  A real "feel good" movie and the young boy in it is tremendous.  Going to see La La Land on Friday on which I'll reserve judgement but I had to let the missus choose one sooner or later!!  Also booked up for Trainspotting 2 and want to catch Manchester By The Sea while it's in cinemas.

Sam Neil is excellent in Wildepeople as well, I didn't realise New Zealand was as big on guns until I saw that film

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I really enjoyed "Hell or High Water"

Other films that I have been watching since I got kodi have been;

The accountant - Enjoyed although Anna Kendrick is a pain in the ass in everything

Girl on the Train - meh

Deepwater Horizon - Exactly what you expect from the film

Allied - Loved it

Captain Fantastic - Pretty good. 

Trolls :lol: - Utter shite but the youngs un's lapped it up. Partially to blame for my hatred of said Anna Kendrick.

Looking forward to seeing what 2017 has to bring. 

Manchester by the Sea looks good. 

 

Edited by Donaldo87

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had the misfortune of sitting through 'Silence' at the weekend there. 

The biggest pile of complete guff I've seen for many a year. 2hrs 40mins a'naw 😡

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Donaldo87 said:

Yeah I really enjoyed "Hell or High Water"

Other films that I have been watching since I got kodi have been;

The accountant - Enjoyed although Anna Kendrick is a pain in the ass in everything

Girl on the Train - meh

Deepwater Horizon - Exactly what you expect from the film

Allied - Loved it

Captain Fantastic - Pretty good. 

Trolls :lol: - Utter shite but the youngs un's lapped it up. Partially to blame for my hatred of said Anna Kendrick.

Looking forward to seeing what 2017 has to bring. 

Manchester by the Sea looks good. 

 

Watched Girl on the Train on Saturday and felt much the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I forgot about Dunkirk and Guardians of the Galaxy 2

Two more added to the list

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Donaldo87 said:

 

The accountant - Enjoyed although Anna Kendrick is a pain in the ass in everything

Girl on the Train - meh

Allied - Loved it

 

 

Went to see all 3 at the Cinema, agree.

Saw Collateral Beauty the other day (Bird's choice) and it's another Meh.

Going to see Silence on Friday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Larky Masher said:

Watched Girl on the Train on Saturday and felt much the same.

I read the book which I didn't enjoy and then went to see the film!  I still can't get my head around that!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fairbairn said:

I read the book which I didn't enjoy and then went to see the film!  I still can't get my head around that!!

On the subject of books you didn't enjoy, I've just finished Substance and thought it was awful though I'm still going Leeds in March.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Larky Masher said:

On the subject of books you didn't enjoy, I've just finished Substance and thought it was awful though I'm still going Leeds in March.

Really?  I was planning on picking that up at some point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

Really?  I was planning on picking that up at some point.

Buy it second hand. I was looking forward to it after the first two books but, in my opinion (though Amazon customers seem to disagree with me), Substance is a self-indulgent mess much like New Order I guess. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

Really?  I was planning on picking that up at some point.

In March would seem a good time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

enjoyed the magnificent seven although its not as "magnificent" as the original

and they never played Elmer Bernstein's classic theme tune until the end credits

average

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking forward to Trainspotting 2 and very nervous about Blade Runner 2049 as the original is one of my favourite films. 

And its also one of the few films that's better than the book it's based on. 

I have zero interest in anything Star Wars, or any of the super hero movies. Just not my cup of tea however I'll end up having to go to most of them because of my kids. 😕

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, fringo said:

In March would seem a good time.

That was rather amibiguous wasn't it, just to clarify Fairbairn isn't included in my the trip to Leeds in March.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Larky Masher said:

That was rather amibiguous wasn't it, just to clarify Fairbairn isn't included in my the trip to Leeds in March.

:(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Larky Masher said:

I was only trying to protect your reputation.

:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Assassin creed  better than expected. Not that it's great. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've just seen La La Land. A film about song and dance people, by song and dance people. If you aren't a big fan of musicals, it's one to avoid. But if you like musicals, you'll love this.

It's a certainty for 5 or 6 Oscars for things such as set design, score, costumes etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites