2017 movie thread - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

2017 movie thread

On 17/01/2017 at 3:34 PM, ShedTA said:

And alien really is a classic. Likewise aliens - one of the few sequels to match and possibly out do the original.

Agreed although probably the reason is that they are two different film genres

The original Alien verges on the classic haunted house horror movie (in space) whereas Aliens is a rollercoaster action movie

Ive never watched Blair Witch and have never fancied it but your take on these types of films does depend on your own imagination

One of the things i hate about the cinema is folk making noises and distracting you and is why i thought the original Paranormal Activity would be rotten

However imo it's one of the few movies that is really best watched in the cinema for best enjoyment - folk getting tense and screaming really made it for me and yes i almost shat myself 

9 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

The original Alien verges on the classic haunted house horror movie (in space) whereas Aliens is a rollercoaster action movie

Ive never watched Blair Witch and have never fancied it but your take on these types of films does depend on your own imagination

One of the things i hate about the cinema is folk making noises and distracting you and is why i thought the original Paranormal Activity would be rotten

However imo it's one of the few movies that is really best watched in the cinema for best enjoyment - folk getting tense and screaming really made it for me and yes i almost shat myself 

all very true! :)

Have seen blair witch and tbh the first time I actually quite liked it and found it quite scary. like you say its really more about your imagination in movies like that.

15 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

This might be why I didn't like Blair Witch much. Saw it at home and genuinely found it boring. 

Also just seen there's another Alien prequel out this year as a sequel to Prometheus. Need to watch Prometheus first mind you. 

46 minutes ago, flumax said:

Just about to watch split. Don't know anything about it, just was the next film starting. Here's hoping. 

Let us know if it's any good.  The trailer I saw looked quite interesting. Be good to get a proper review. 

On 19/01/2017 at 3:25 PM, RenfrewBlue said:

This might be why I didn't like Blair Witch much. Saw it at home and genuinely found it boring. 

Also just seen there's another Alien prequel out this year as a sequel to Prometheus. Need to watch Prometheus first mind you. 

And as if by magic Prometheus was on last night.  Talk about perfect timing. ?

1 hour ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Let us know if it's any good.  The trailer I saw looked quite interesting. Be good to get a proper review. 

Typical M. Shyte. Nice premise spun out too long.

McAvoy carried it, but too comic at times and silly for the subject. 

Made no attempt at address the difficulties of split personalities, just used it as vehicle for his idea. Did not like the back story of the main female lead, again took a serious subject and made it jokey. 

The best thing was the very,   very last line of the film. Explains (a bit)  shyalaman. 

All in all. 5/10.  never want to see it again and wouldn't recommend anyone see it. Just vanilla. Not as bad as last airbender, lady in the water... Miles off sixth sense. 

Off to see arrival now. Hoping for much better 

2 hours ago, flumax said:

Arrival is superb. Quality film. Can see it doing well come award season. 

3 hours ago, flumax said:

Typical M. Shyte. Nice premise spun out too long.

McAvoy carried it, but too comic at times and silly for the subject. 

Made no attempt at address the difficulties of split personalities, just used it as vehicle for his idea. Did not like the back story of the main female lead, again took a serious subject and made it jokey. 

The best thing was the very,   very last line of the film. Explains (a bit)  shyalaman. 

All in all. 5/10.  never want to see it again and wouldn't recommend anyone see it. Just vanilla. Not as bad as last airbender, lady in the water... Miles off sixth sense. 

Dammit. I thought it had potential to be a really good film. 

Think M Night is living off the twist at the end of 6th Sense still. Nothing he's done since has come close. 

7 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Think M Night is living off the twist at the end of 6th Sense still. Nothing he's done since has come close. 

Sixth Sense was great. Unbreakable was pretty good. But all his other films have been pish

17 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Hay don't not go based on my view. You might like it. Reviews seem healthy

Saw Jackie last night and it's fantastic.  Didn't really expect to enjoy it (Mrs Fairbairn's choice again!) but once I got past Portman's voice in the first few minutes I was gripped right till the end.  I'll be very surprised if she doesn't take home the Best Actress Oscar next month.

50 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Really looking forward to it.

In my experience that's never a good idea

Better having low expectations about films always

1 hour ago, Mark frae Crieff said:

Watched Hacksaw Ridge on the Kodi last eve... Very good and to be based on a true story its amazing what that guy did. 

Actually found it boring.

Some well shot battle scenes, if you like that kind of thing, but even though it is based on a true story, I found it drab.

Best thing was the girlfriend - pretty gal. 

Loving Kodi, opening up a whole new world of movies to me. 

This year alone I've seen:

Sully - decent, nothing fantastic

Captain Fantastic - loved this

Nice Guys - turned it off, awful

Deepwater Horizon - you get what you expect, watchable

The Girl on the Train - meh

Magnificent 7 - watchable, nothing fantastic (but the last two films have Haley Bennett in them, and that alone makes them worth watching!)

But one great source I've found is to Google Sports Movies, or Football/Basketball/Baseball Movies. Loads of great sports films made every year that never get much of a mention here because they're very American. For example:

Gridiron Gang

The Blind Side

Invincible

We Are Marshall