2017 movie thread - Page 7 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

2017 movie thread

12 minutes ago, Robbo `81 said:

Seen "Gold" last night - Was pretty good film I thought.

Aparently "Inspired by True Events" was one of those films where was left wondering how faithful to reality it actually was...

Yeah, trailers look interesting. 

Did read its a bit like last king of Scotland where the protagonist is a combination of 3/4 real personas 

On 11/02/2017 at 9:37 PM, Stapes said:

Just watched Lion. Great film, if about a quarter of an hour too long in the middle. Very, very sad, especially at the end. Kind of the antithesis of Slumdog Millionaire.

Went to see Lion the other night. Cracking film ??

Wee bit grit in my eye at the end though ?

11 hours ago, McTeeko said:

Went to see Lion the other night. Cracking film ??

Wee bit grit in my eye at the end though ?

Not sure how anyone can get through that film without finding a bit of grit in their eye.

Right now I'm creasing myself at Florence Foster Jenkins. A bit odd, and won't be to everyone's but Meryl Streep is utterly hilarious.

Last night I watched the Legend of Barney Thomson. Weird. But Emma Thomson was great.

13 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Trainspotting 2

Massivey disappointing. Bordline terrible story. Renton was the only character that was believable. 

Reviews were good so was hopeful it would be much better than it was. 

I felt the same. It was just ok. I didnt expect it to be as gritty as the original as the characters were 20 yrs older but I felt it was just too tame plus the story was non existent. I found Spud quite amusing though,  as was 1690. 

16 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I felt the same. It was just ok. I didnt expect it to be as gritty as the original as the characters were 20 yrs older but I felt it was just too tame plus the story was non existent. I found Spud quite amusing though,  as was 1690. 

Aye the storyline was rank. That part about Spud learning to forge signatures was obviously just thrown in so they could script some sort of ending ?

14 hours ago, Stapes said:

Not sure how anyone can get through that film without finding a bit of grit in their eye.

Right now I'm creasing myself at Florence Foster Jenkins. A bit odd, and won't be to everyone's but Meryl Streep is utterly hilarious.

Last night I watched the Legend of Barney Thomson. Weird. But Emma Thomson was great.

Thought Florence Foster Jenkins was a wonderful wee film, watched Hidden Figures at the weekend and that was enjoyable though never best picture material though it's miles ahead of Arrival which was pretentious shite of the highest order.

Edited by Larky Masher

4 hours ago, McTeeko said:

Aye the storyline was rank. That part about Spud learning to forge signatures was obviously just thrown in so they could script some sort of ending ?

Yeah, and how on earth he could remember all those 'stories' after 20 odd years of hard drugs is anyones guess. 20 odd years of white wine and I struggle to remember what happened last weekend . I did find him funny though. 

3 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Yeah, and how on earth he could remember all those 'stories' after 20 odd years of hard drugs is anyones guess. 20 odd years of white wine and I struggle to remember what happened last weekend . I did find him funny though. 

He's a cracking character right enough! Played brilliantly, as he was in the original. 

Just out of Moonlight. Very good, not as taken as some of the reviews I've read. 

Three main leads highly believable as the same  young man growing up

35 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Agreed. 

Thought the middle story and acting was the best as well. 

Would have liked to seen an act 2a in juvi. How'd that young man become 3? 

I'd have liked to seen Juan's story to. Seriously impressive, alpha male drug dealer with the best definition of "faggot" I've ever heard in cinema. 

28 minutes ago, flumax said:

Would have liked to seen an act 2a in juvi. How'd that young man become 3? 

I'd have liked to seen Juan's story to. Seriously impressive, alpha male drug dealer with the best definition of "faggot" I've ever heard in cinema. 

They could have dedicated a full film to that act as well.