2017 movie thread - Page 8 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

2017 movie thread

• 2 weeks later...

Free Fire - f u cking superb. Brilliantly acted, hilarity throughout and a decent soundtrack too boot. I heard Cillian Murphy describe it as Home Alone for adults the other day and I would concur, 10 on 10.

• 4 weeks later...

Well it is not a movie but The Last Kingdom on the BBC has impressed the shit out of me. Stumbled on an episode in the second and latest series and quickly realized it was 'for the watching' from the start of the first series. Now starting series two so no spoilers please. Also got the original books on kindle which I suspect will be orders of magnitude better. It is quality. Anyone else enjoying this?

I must say I do like the Danes. 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest flumax

Didn't get the fuss over guardians of the galaxy  2. Plot less, noisy, flashy, overly sentimental. First was fun, this left me just meh. 6/10 

Just back from holiday to the States and watched a total of 6 films on flights there and back!  

Split - 7.5/10.  James MacAvoy plays a guy with 23 separate personalties (you see about 8 of them) who has kidnapped 3 girls.  I really enjoyed it and thought MacAvoy's performance was excellent.  Slightly ruined by the typical M,Night Shangalang ending where he seems to run out of steam but overall it was quite good.

Passengers - 7/10.  Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence are woken up from Cryo sleep 90 years too early en route to a new planet.  Quite well done with watchable performances from the 2 leads.

Doctor Strange - 5/10.  Not really sure why I bother with Marvel Films as they rarely entertain me.  This was all a bit too full of it's own self importance and a bit poe faced,

Why Him - 6.5/10 - Bryan Cranston meets his daughters new boyfriend who he (shock horror) doesn't approve of.  A kind of reverse meet the parents.  Some quite funny bits in it but James Franco's character (the son in law) gets a bit grating after a while

Masterminds - 6.5/10 - Based on the true story of a driver at Loomis Fargo security who stole just over $17M!  Had Zach Galifinakis and Kirsten Weig in the lead roles.  Again, funny in parts but again they were a bit few and far between.  Kate McKinnon (Ghostbusters 2016) has a relatively small part and is easily the best thing in it.

Hacksaw Ridge - 7/10 - Another true story about an American Conscientious Objector who signed up as a medic in WWII and refused to carry a weapon.  A really interesting story with some really good performances, notably by Vince Vaughn (no, really!!).  Gets a bit USA USA USA towards the end but that's to be expected given the subject matter!

On 4/25/2017 at 7:54 PM, thplinth said:

Well it is not a movie but The Last Kingdom on the BBC has impressed the shit out of me. Stumbled on an episode in the second and latest series and quickly realized it was 'for the watching' from the start of the first series. Now starting series two so no spoilers please. Also got the original books on kindle which I suspect will be orders of magnitude better. It is quality. Anyone else enjoying this?

I must say I do like the Danes. 

You're bang on re the books, although i did get bored by about book 5 or 6 in the series. The TV series is a decent effort by the beeb

Appreciate i'm way behind on this one but i watched "I, Daniel Blake" the other night. A wonderful piece of film-making and political commentary. 

I'd screen it on every channel on June 7th. 

8 hours ago, Parklife said:

Appreciate i'm way behind on this one but i watched "I, Daniel Blake" the other night. A wonderful piece of film-making and political commentary. 

I'd screen it on every channel on June 7th. 

Same here. I watched it for the first time 10 days ago.

They need to screen it every day BEFORE June 7th.

On 5/9/2017 at 0:09 PM, Dave78 said:

You're bang on re the books, although i did get bored by about book 5 or 6 in the series. The TV series is a decent effort by the beeb

Yaaaassss! Going to enjoy them, thanks Dave. I have now watched both series and it almost makes me want to redeem the BBC. Truly excellent.

IIRC Kernie used to post on how everything in Britain went tits up after 1066. We are an occupied people from that point on... It is true he is right.

But a reason everything went tits up on 1066 was due to the preceding massive invasion / war with the Danes / frisians etc...

Last Kingdom. :)

Edited by thplinth

Went to watch Guardians of the Galaxy last night.

Great, but not epic.

Felt like after a solid first movie they tried to set the bar far to high for a 2nd movie, as it just came across as a back of a fag packed plot rewrite of Empire Strikes Back with countless throw away jokes/lines and 80's references added in for comedy.

In the first movie Dave Batista was a lovable oaf, in this he just became annoying after 5 minutes.... also Baby Groot was clearly put in by Disney to sell merchandise, as all the way through it just felt like he was there for the Minion effect.

Think I preferred Logan just a little bit more than this.

Feel MCU is in real danger of going stale with over kill of movie, but still hyped for Thor Ragnarok later this year.

Visually it seems to be going down the road Guardians has gone down, so I am expecting it to be the result of a weekend on binge watching every 1980's Arnold Schwarzenegger movie and Top Gun....which could be the shot in the arm Thor needs (up until now they have not really known what to do with Thor (do they play him straight or comedy?) when they should be looking at movies like Conan the Barbarian and Masters of the Universe for inspiration.

23 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Went to watch Guardians of the Galaxy last night.

Great, but not epic.

Felt like after a solid first movie they tried to set the bar far to high for a 2nd movie, as it just came across as a back of a fag packed plot rewrite of Empire Strikes Back with countless throw away jokes/lines and 80's references added in for comedy.

In the first movie Dave Batista was a lovable oaf, in this he just became annoying after 5 minutes.... also Baby Groot was clearly put in by Disney to sell merchandise, as all the way through it just felt like he was there for the Minion effect.

Think I preferred Logan just a little bit more than this.

Feel MCU is in real danger of going stale with over kill of movie, but still hyped for Thor Ragnarok later this year.

Visually it seems to be going down the road Guardians has gone down, so I am expecting it to be the result of a weekend on binge watching every 1980's Arnold Schwarzenegger movie and Top Gun....which could be the shot in the arm Thor needs (up until now they have not really known what to do with Thor (do they play him straight or comedy?) when they should be looking at movies like Conan the Barbarian and Masters of the Universe for inspiration.

Superb work, Mani.  GOTG is great but I wouldn't be going taking the franchise too seriously.  Comparing it to Empire.  FFS.  Comparing it to Logan.  FFS.  You may as well compare The Godfather to Airplane.

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

A bit late to the party but just watched Get Out and really enjoyed it.  It kind if petered out towards the end but the first 3/4 of it was really well done and built up the sense of unease excellently.

On 24/03/2017 at 9:02 PM, Ally Bongo said:

looks really good

I was looking for that for two days before I realised it doesn't get released until October.

Just now, fringo said:

Just watched Hacksaw Ridge. Quite incredible story and excellent film.

Almost on a par with Saving Private Ryan which is almost as big a compliment I can give it.

As much I enjoyed hacksaw ridge it was was nowhere near saying private Ryan 

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

As much I enjoyed hacksaw ridge it was was nowhere near saying private Ryan 

"Almost" but maybe I'm also getting carried away as it's so fresh in my mind.

Quite incredible story though.

1 minute ago, fringo said:

"Almost" but maybe I'm also getting carried away as it's so fresh in my mind.

Quite incredible story though.

Agree on the story, as always I went straight online to see how much is true about hacksaw ridge. The truth is just as remarkable.

3 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Agree on the story, as always I went straight online to see how much is true about hacksaw ridge. The truth is just as remarkable.

I'd briefly read some things on this thread a few days ago before watching the film and somehow thought I'd read (on here) that he died at the end.

You can imagine my surprise and delight when it turned out he didn't. Made it all the more remarkable what he did and still managed to get out of that hellhole.