2017 movie thread - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

2017 movie thread

Just noticed a remake is underway of The Intouchables ( not to be confused with The Untouchables) , original film is french and was released a few years ago. Watched it on a plane , loved it, very funny considering it is about a quadriplegic. Apparantely Bryan Cranston ( Breaking Bad) and Kevin Hart play the main roles in the remake and its supposed to be released late 2017. Would watch the french version at least if you can , will lighten your day.  

30 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Just noticed a remake is underway of The Intouchables ( not to be confused with The Untouchables) , original film is french and was released a few years ago. Watched it on a plane , loved it, very funny considering it is about a quadriplegic. Apparantely Bryan Cranston ( Breaking Bad) and Kevin Hart play the main roles in the remake and its supposed to be released late 2017. Would watch the french version at least if you can , will lighten your day.  

Tremendous film. In the hands of two lesssr leads it could have been pretty cheesy but they were both brilliant. No interest in the remake.

They are remaking Memento as well apparently :blink:

A man called Ove - Swedish film was brilliant, dark but very funny. Worth seeking out. 

Nocturnal Animals - Very good. Michael Shannon is quicky becoming one of my go to actors. Amy Adams is very good in it as well. 

52 minutes ago, Donaldo87 said:

They'll ruin the intouchables :(

Tend to agree with you and PIAK.  They are chasing the cash as usual.  Original film only made usd 10mio in the US despite making over usd 400 mio internationally. To quote ' Americans wont respond to critically acclaimed , award-winning crowd pleasing movie if they have to read subtitles'... Solution, do a remake.  

I cannot listen to Boogie Wonderland without thinking about the film ?

15 hours ago, flumax said:

Assassin creed  better than expected. Not that it's great. 

Curious to see that as at the Malta game last year, all the locals I was speaking with seemed really proud that movie was getting filmed in Valletta.

3 hours ago, wanderer said:

Curious to see that as at the Malta game last year, all the locals I was speaking with seemed really proud that movie was getting filmed in Valletta.

If you're a fan of the game (as I am)  go see it. Possibly the best video game movie I've seen... Not saying a lot 

Seen La La Land last night and against my better judgement I actually enjoyed it.  The musical numbers are by and large really well done and Stone and Gosling have an excellent chemistry together.  The opening scene doesn't really fit in with the rest of the film but other than that I quite enjoyed it.

14 minutes ago, fringo said:

From 2016 is Jason Bourne any good?

Saw the previous ones and thought they weren't bad.

6.5/10. Better than the non Damon bourne,but the worst of the damon ones. Entertaining, but not ground breaking. 

3 hours ago, fringo said:

From 2016 is Jason Bourne any good?

Saw the previous ones and thought they weren't bad.

It's ok (if you like Supremacy you will enjoy it, but if you prefer Ultiantim then so much).... my only gripe was it's a back of fag packet  plot padded out with rehashes from the previous 3 movies (you will spot a number of similar scenes and stuff).... saying that, it's tied with Ultimatum for my third favourite in the (Damon) series (Supremacy my fav) 

On 13/01/2017 at 3:50 PM, flumax said:

If you're a fan of the game (as I am)  go see it. Possibly the best video game movie I've seen... Not saying a lot 

Not a fan of movies based on video games (Super Mario brothers probably put me off for life hahahaha plus I found Hitman to be a massive disappointment) but as I said, was just people in Malta pointing out where a scene had been filmed that got me interested.

17 hours ago, Parklife said:

Just about to watch The Girl On The Train. It's her pick (she's read the book too) but I'm looking forward to it. 

Verdict ? 

I thought the book was pretty average but on the plus side it may make watching the film less risky as my expectations arent high. 

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

Verdict ? 

I thought the book was pretty average but on the plus side it may make watching the film less risky as my expectations arent high. 

It's pretty good. Not brilliant but definitely watchable. 7.5/10 for me. 

2 hours ago, Parklife said:

It's pretty good. Not brilliant but definitely watchable. 7.5/10 for me. 

Thanks. May give it a go in that case.

I read 'Gone Girl ' before the hype and  enjoyed it. Was very disappointed in the film. Would probably have been ok if I hadnt read the book first, as is usually the case. 

10 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Verdict ? 

My wife preferred it to the book. Both are ok to me, but I couldn't get past the fact that I didn't like a single character. Emily Blunt is very good as well, give it a whirl if you've read the book.