2017 movie thread - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

2017 movie thread

I went along with my wife and 12 year old daughter to see LaLa Land.  I loved it, an excellent and entertaining film.  The ending has a rather sad twist to it but it really is worth seeing, even if you don't like musicals - it's not really that much of a musical, more a film with some singing in it.  I wasn't really that bothered about seeing it but glad I went.  Turned out there are absolutely no Teletubbies in the film, so that was a wee bonus.

On 13/01/2017 at 8:53 AM, ParisInAKilt said:

Tremendous film. In the hands of two lesssr leads it could have been pretty cheesy but they were both brilliant. No interest in the remake.

They are remaking Memento as well apparently :blink:

A man called Ove - Swedish film was brilliant, dark but very funny. Worth seeking out. 

Nocturnal Animals - Very good. Michael Shannon is quicky becoming one of my go to actors. Amy Adams is very good in it as well. 

A man called ove? I didn't know that. The book was brilliant - I loved reading it, not just cos I had an 11 year old Saab! :). Just changed it.  Will defo look out for that - assume it's subtitled? 

On 12/01/2017 at 0:39 AM, RenfrewBlue said:

Looking forward to Trainspotting 2 and very nervous about Blade Runner 2049 as the original is one of my favourite films. 

And its also one of the few films that's better than the book it's based on. 

I have zero interest in anything Star Wars, or any of the super hero movies. Just not my cup of tea however I'll end up having to go to most of them because of my kids. ?

Likewise blade runner was one of my favourite films for many years. Interested to see what they do with the remake. 

Latest star wars is actually very good.

1 hour ago, ShedTA said:

A man called ove? I didn't know that. The book was brilliant - I loved reading it, not just cos I had an 11 year old Saab! :). Just changed it.  Will defo look out for that - assume it's subtitled? 

Yeah subtitled. Got a cinema release here in NZ but not sure about the uk. 

Will go read the book now. 

18 hours ago, ShedTA said:

Likewise blade runner was one of my favourite films for many years. Interested to see what they do with the remake. 

Latest star wars is actually very good.

Just don't like Star Wars that much. Saw the originals as a kid and found them boring. Watched the first of the newer prequels as thought I'd enjoy them now and it was even worse. Stopped watching them at that point as it obviously just isn't for me. 

Strangely I do like a lot of Sci-fi but just prefer things like Alien and Blade Runner . 

Edited by RenfrewBlue

27 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Just don't like Star Wars that much. Saw the originals as a kid and found them boring. Watched the first of the newer prequels as thought I'd enjoy them now and it was even worse. Stopped watching them at that point as it obviously just isn't for me. 

Strangely I do like a lot of Sci-fi but just prefer things like Alien and Blade Runner . 

Agree with that. Didn't get what the fuss was about with the original films; I then fell for the hype and went to see The Phantom Menace - it was probably one of the worst films I've paid to see at the cinema. Haven't seen any since then, although sometimes they get shown on a Saturday afternoon on TV and I've watched bits of other films in the franchise but they have seemed just as bad. Not for me.

Blade Runner is a great film.

1 hour ago, RenfrewBlue said:

The first of the new prequels was truly awful tbf. Rogue one is actually not a bad movie.

1 hour ago, RenfrewBlue said:

And alien really is a classic. Likewise aliens - one of the few sequels to match and possibly out do the original.

1 hour ago, ShedTA said:

And alien really is a classic. Likewise aliens - one of the few sequels to match and possibly out do the original.

Alien is still the best film of the series but Aliens 2 and Resurrection (the 4th one)  are also good action movies. The original is more a horror movie as you don't really see the adult creature until the end. 

36 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Alien is still the best film of the series but Aliens 2 and Resurrection (the 4th one)  are also good action movies. The original is more a horror movie as you don't really see the adult creature until the end. 

Accept your view - can't really disagree as the movies are brilliant. But I like the sense of foreboding that Ripley brings to the sequel. Whereas in the first one it is all unknowns in aliens she knows exactly what they are dealing with in the sequel and this adds to the suspense and the quality of the film.

46 minutes ago, ShedTA said:

Accept your view - can't really disagree as the movies are brilliant. But I like the sense of foreboding that Ripley brings to the sequel. Whereas in the first one it is all unknowns in aliens she knows exactly what they are dealing with in the sequel and this adds to the suspense and the quality of the film.

I know what you mean. I just like the not knowing bit for tension. Once I've seen the monstors they tend not to be quite so scary as the ones in my head. 

Maybe says something about my imagination. ?

15 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

I know what you mean. I just like the not knowing bit for tension. Once I've seen the monstors they tend not to be quite so scary as the ones in my head. 

Maybe says something about my imagination. ?

I'm a bit the same - I found Blair Witch terrifying for this very reason!

1 hour ago, flumax said:

Went to see Sully last night. Very very good. Some overplay for dramatic effect, but great way of telling a story we all know the ending.. 

Yeah good film. Went a little bit "America is the best" at the end but you expect that a bit from an Eastwood film.

Very well done I thought. Cant believe it was 8 years ago already. 

1 hour ago, ShedTA said:

well you probably have to like star wars - so if you don't, then don't bother.

I loved Star Wars as a laddie. But that dross a year ago was awful. Cringeworthy acting, especially from the young black laddie.

1 hour ago, Ormond said:

I loved Star Wars as a laddie. But that dross a year ago was awful. Cringeworthy acting, especially from the young black laddie.

ah fair enough. well I thought rogue one was very well done. not going to ruin it for you but theres a few key areas which made it for me.

they knit the original star wars movie into it very well.

On 1/16/2017 at 9:39 PM, PASTA Mick said:

I watched Collateral Beauty and thought it was fantastic. Well worth watching if you like films like Pursuit of Happyness and Seven Pounds. 

Looking forward to T2. 

Wouldn't say Collateral Beauty was brilliant. Was better than i expected given the reviews though.

8 hours ago, SMcoolJ said:

I'm a bit the same - I found Blair Witch terrifying for this very reason!

I should have found Blair Witch at least a bit scary but I just found it boring. I kept wanting to tell the daft lassie to blow her nose. 

Also all that dodgy camera work got on my nerves.  Much preferred the old school horrors like Nightmare on Elm Street and Friday the 13th.