Graham Taylor - Dead - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Graham Taylor - Dead

One thing you have to give credit to Taylor for was documented in that film they (Channel 4 ?) made on his last few games as England manager. A couple of racist kunts in the crowd were yelling abuse at England's black players and Taylor furiously turned around from the game and laid into the racist scum.

just a football man through and through. Heard a story while back about a Villa fan on a London to Brum train asking Taylor about the current Villa squad. Taylor invited the fan back to his table and sat for two hours having a few beers and chatting about football in general.

Edited by EddardStark

I think the infamous documentary was made by Scots lads?

A really good manager cursed by the albatross of the England job. Seemed like a nice guy too, a shame for all who knew him.

There are now no England managers left alive from before football started (ie the English Premier League)...

Interesting interviews on Talksport with folk who knew him. The phrases that keep popping up are "honest football man"  and "treated disgustingly by the press when England manager". 

Several ex players have declined to come on as they are too upset,  which I've not heard before. 

Obviously well liked and respected man by his peers. 

4 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Interesting interviews on Talksport with folk who knew him. The phrases that keep popping up are "honest football man"  and "treated disgustingly by the press when England manager". 

Several ex players have declined to come on as they are too upset,  which I've not heard before. 

Obviously well liked and respected man by his peers. 

Sounds about right. Always seemed a decent guy throughout the years and the press were shocking (as they still are now).

Not heard a bad word said about him. Brian Moore mentioned that he was great company and very insightful. Went on to say that they only bad decision he ever made was accepting the job as England Manager. Well respected and well liked. RIP Graham. 

7 hours ago, Ormond said:

Where's Neil R when you need him?

I've been away thinking of the family. Ill probably offer them my prayers later.

1 hour ago, Och Aye said:

Be interesting to see The Sun's reaction. They couldn't possibly have ridiculed him more during his England stint.

Turnip head wasnt it. Cant post a picture using my phone.

Well mibbes I can but I cant be bothered.

Please leave us now 2017.

Edited by neil r

Graham was a player for Lincoln City when i first saw them as a little kid...he then became my all time hero leading Lincoln to our greatest ever season.

He proved himself to the rest of football with his astounding success subsequently at Watford. Promotions for Villa too. Brought on a lot of good players too.  Disgustingly treated by the gutter english press. Remained a gentleman despite all that and when i met him at times he would always stop and chat properly. Even got him to send my best mate a card signed by all the Wolves players for his wedding (Graham was manager at Wolves that year). It was a lovely surprise at the wedding reception for my mate and all his family there who all followed Wolves. Graham had taken the time to see me and then arrange all that. Great manager and a great man.

I think you have to separate his International management from his club success.

In hindsight it's clear he was let down by a lot of his players at International level - many of his squad had alcohol issues for example - but that still falls on the manager.

Cant rewrite history - England were an absolute joke for the 3 years he was in charge and as a Scotland fan it was great that he was in charge rather than Robson beforehand 

A nice fella all the same

RIP

13 hours ago, buckielugger said:

Graham was a player for Lincoln City when i first saw them as a little kid...he then became my all time hero leading Lincoln to our greatest ever season.

He proved himself to the rest of football with his astounding success subsequently at Watford. Promotions for Villa too. Brought on a lot of good players too.  Disgustingly treated by the gutter english press. Remained a gentleman despite all that and when i met him at times he would always stop and chat properly. Even got him to send my best mate a card signed by all the Wolves players for his wedding (Graham was manager at Wolves that year). It was a lovely surprise at the wedding reception for my mate and all his family there who all followed Wolves. Graham had taken the time to see me and then arrange all that. Great manager and a great man.

:ok: Lovely stuff

12 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Cant rewrite history - England were an absolute joke for the 3 years he was in charge and as a Scotland fan it was great that he was in charge rather than Robson beforehand 

I don't think his team was that much worse than Robson's, their win records were fairly similar, Taylor just didn't get a lucky break or two at vital times.

As a historical note he was the first England manager never to get a game against Scotland...

Edited by Toepoke