Handguns - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Out of interest 

how accurate are handguns ?

wife's cousin got shot in bar few years back, when she was also in the club, by guys who got refused entrance (he was off duty policeman)

but guy's had took plenty of shots and only hit him a few times

I remember at time discussing with friend who is ex military and he was basically saying hand guns are inaccurate 

The only time I fired a handgun it was extremely accurate.  Was down in Reno. I shot a man for no other reason than just to watch him die.

But this thread is probably more for the gangstas here.

Or perhaps anyone with a passing interest poppin' caps in ghetto wide boy asses.

Edited by neil r

A handgun is only as accurate as the person firing it.  Given that the people who shot your wife's cousin were probably just criminals / gangsters then I suspect they did the usual spray and pray method . To people can fire the same weapon and get very different results . TRAINING AND PRACTICE are everything.  At my best I could put 5 rounds on a target from 25 m standing and get a grouping tha would fit on a 50p piece. Nowadays I couldnae hit a cow's arse wi a banjo !

I had a night in Budapest after the Slovakia game. Had a wee shot of a few guns here - http://www.celeritas-sch.com/

Had a shot of the full package - handguns, rifles, automatics. All live ammo apart from the machine guns (blanks). There was targets on the wall to aim at and I seemed to do alright.

To answer your question though I've no idea how accurate the handguns were, but the rifles were dead-on! 

2 hours ago, euan2020 said:

Out of interest 

how accurate are handguns ?

wife's cousin got shot in bar few years back, when she was also in the club, by guys who got refused entrance (he was off duty policeman)

but guy's had took plenty of shots and only hit him a few times

I remember at time discussing with friend who is ex military and he was basically saying hand guns are inaccurate 

I don't know the answer but was the lady shot 'in the club' as in pregnant or was it a bar in a club? 

Reread and think it's probably latter as think second paragraph is saying 'shooter took lots of potshots but only hit him a few times. 

Edited by G-Man

7 minutes ago, G-Man said:

I don't know the answer but was the lady shot 'in the club' as in pregnant or was it a bar in a club? 

Reread and think it's probably latter as think second paragraph is saying 'shooter took lots of potshots but only hit him a few times. 

bar in a club 

maybe i never fully explained properly on rereading

reason i was surprised he was not hit more critically, is he "walked on"  towards shooters 

to put in context - this is in South Africa 

1 hour ago, euan2020 said:

bar in a club 

maybe i never fully explained properly on rereading

reason i was surprised he was not hit more critically, is he "walked on"  towards shooters 

to put in context - this is in South Africa 

Right I'm reading wrong or you're typing on wee screen with big fingers or I'm in an episode of Sherlock. The shot person walked towards the man who was shooting the gun? Why? I've never been shot but worked in a bar where we had an armed hold up and whilst it's all a bit hazy I'm fairly sure I would have beaten Usain Bolt in my dash to get under a table. Or was it just a momentum thing? Did you mean the cousin had been shot more than once? How is he, alive I'm hoping? 

Now you may just to have been looking for a wee answer but I want full picture, none of your 'wife's cousin' nonsense, names and places please.  It's January and I'm bored senseless, work is dead, social life is dead and cremated and there's not a drop of Baileys left in my house. Get onto a big keyboard and explain all.  For instance I had it taking place in America and you just threw in South Africa as a wee afterthought, so get back on and start from the beginning. 

Neilser thank you for videos, reminded me to watch a bit of Alan Partridge to cheer up January. 

5 hours ago, G-Man said:

Right I'm reading wrong or you're typing on wee screen with big fingers or I'm in an episode of Sherlock. The shot person walked towards the man who was shooting the gun? Why? I've never been shot but worked in a bar where we had an armed hold up and whilst it's all a bit hazy I'm fairly sure I would have beaten Usain Bolt in my dash to get under a table. Or was it just a momentum thing? Did you mean the cousin had been shot more than once? How is he, alive I'm hoping? 

Now you may just to have been looking for a wee answer but I want full picture, none of your 'wife's cousin' nonsense, names and places please.  It's January and I'm bored senseless, work is dead, social life is dead and cremated and there's not a drop of Baileys left in my house. Get onto a big keyboard and explain all.  For instance I had it taking place in America and you just threw in South Africa as a wee afterthought, so get back on and start from the beginning. 

Neilser thank you for videos, reminded me to watch a bit of Alan Partridge to cheer up January. 

Hi - The shooting was random cos the guys had been refused entry from a bar, and they thought to come back and just start shooting at people in bar/club as an act of defiance i guess.

My wife's cousin walked towards the guys with the guns shooting with the intention of stopping them - I guess because he had say 5-10 family and friends there, and he was also a policeman. My wife would have been say 20 feet away from him.  He got shot 2-3 times and was in hospital a while.

I guess he also knew that hand guns are inaccurate if not handled properly - I spoke to ex military friend and he advised that due to short barrel hand guns, the shot spirals, and is not accurate 

Guys got caught at a road block hour or so later, but due to gaps in South Africa Police & law (don't know full story) they got off.

2 hours ago, euan2020 said:

Hi - The shooting was random cos the guys had been refused entry from a bar, and they thought to come back and just start shooting at people in bar/club as an act of defiance i guess.

My wife's cousin walked towards the guys with the guns shooting with the intention of stopping them - I guess because he had say 5-10 family and friends there, and he was also a policeman. My wife would have been say 20 feet away from him.  He got shot 2-3 times and was in hospital a while.

I guess he also knew that hand guns are inaccurate if not handled properly - I spoke to ex military friend and he advised that due to short barrel hand guns, the shot spirals, and is not accurate 

Guys got caught at a road block hour or so later, but due to gaps in South Africa Police & law (don't know full story) they got off.

Jings, he's a brave man, I suppose the instinct to protect family was strong but inaccurate or not it only takes one lucky shot. I always think that the best knowledge I got from the pub being held up was I now know beyond all doubt I'm not brave. I hear people say what they'd do or not do if faced with danger and I believe no one knows until they're literally faced with that danger. My friends and family always told I'd throw them in front of me to save myself. I'm glad he recovered but can't believe the other man got off especially as another policeman was a victim. 

Neilser, you're wee smiley face should be an embarrassed one, one video led to another and at 4am I ended up watching outtakes from Car Share. Knackered now! 

;)

2 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Neilser, you're wee smiley face should be an embarrassed one, one video led to another and at 4am I ended up watching outtakes from Car Share. Knackered now! 

;)

Ha ha  - Have ended up going down that route a few times and wondering afterwards what the feck happened...

As tax says it comes down to the person shooting. Someone using the same handgun for hours on the range will get very accurate up to around 25 to 30 m depending on the gun over that they are not accurate. It really comes down to how well the person knows the gun

1 minute ago, hunchy said:

As tax says it comes down to the person shooting. Someone using the same handgun for hours on the range will get very accurate up to around 25 to 30 m depending on the gun over that they are not accurate. It really comes down to how well the person knows the gun

I was also thinking big difference shooting at static target versus moving target - could imagine someone with great accuracy at static being piss at moving, alongside tension, adrenaline etc, recoil of gun etc whilst moving   

4 minutes ago, euan2020 said:

I was also thinking big difference shooting at static target versus moving target - could imagine someone with great accuracy at static being piss at moving, alongside tension, adrenaline etc, recoil of gun etc whilst moving   

Ye if the shooter is static and in a firm shooting position then he will be more accurate than someone jumping about pulling the trigger at whoever

8 hours ago, G-Man said:

Jings, he's a brave man, I suppose the instinct to protect family was strong but inaccurate or not it only takes one lucky shot. I always think that the best knowledge I got from the pub being held up was I now know beyond all doubt I'm not brave. I hear people say what they'd do or not do if faced with danger and I believe no one knows until they're literally faced with that danger. My friends and family always told I'd throw them in front of me to save myself. I'm glad he recovered but can't believe the other man got off especially as another policeman was a victim. 

;)

He did say it was South Africa. 

A life is worth a mere few rand to the authorities out there. 

Hand guns can be pretty inaccurate because of the recoil. You can absorb that with rifles and shotguns etc into your shoulder so the gun moves far less but this is difficult with a hand gun. The gun jumps as you fire. However properly trained and experienced people can increase the accuracy by allowing for this and anticipating the movement.

14 hours ago, ShedTA said:

Hand guns can be pretty inaccurate because of the recoil. You can absorb that with rifles and shotguns etc into your shoulder so the gun moves far less but this is difficult with a hand gun. The gun jumps as you fire. However properly trained and experienced people can increase the accuracy by allowing for this and anticipating the movement.

Is that how the baddies never manage to kill James Bond,Jason Bourne,John McLean,etc etc?

Always thought for criminals,the were fvcking terrible at shooting guns. 

Guest BlueGaz
1 hour ago, neil r said:

Stormtroopers are terrible at hitting things. Mind you thats with laser blasters.

Agreed.  It could be their helmets that are the issue, they walk past a lot of people without noticing too, so the view can't be the best.  Don't see any recoil to speak of.  Or maybe they dance too much and dont spend enough time on the light range.

4 hours ago, dandydunn said:

Is that how the baddies never manage to kill James Bond,Jason Bourne,John McLean,etc etc?

Always thought for criminals,the were fvcking terrible at shooting guns. 

Ha ha yep just be! Bond should have been dead long ago if the baddies just pulled the trigger instead of f@cking about.