China - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I dont know what Sky Sports twat was having a go at Diego Costa at the weekend for his behaviour, but it was so conceited that it was comical. Why would anyone want to play in the back water of China, why would anyone want to leave England, dont they realise that they are at the peak of the football pyramid etc etc.

Theres probably a dozen or so clubs that players dream of playing for, but in 99% of footballing careers its about money, and theres nothing wrong with that in the modern context. No one in their right mind outside of Middlesbrough or Burnley etc wants to play for those teams, if you got an offer from Shanghai or Beijing for £350,000 a week, youd be mad to turn it down.

The absolute snobbery in football is ridiculous. No one gives a flying fck about the 'greatest league in the world', they care about the money, thats all. If it went back to the 90s money wise, players would be in Germany, Italy or Spain. These presenters, pundits and journalists dont grasp that amazingly.

I bet good money that Sergio Aguero hadnt heard of Man City as a bairn, let alone wanted to play for them, the same goes for Jackson Martinez and Guangzhou Evergrande.

For a player i'd expect their career is about two things money and achievements. 

Some players will have a different balance between the two and be more susceptible to prioritizing the money on offer in China over the possibility of winning major trophies in Europe. 

However, if someone in most walks of life came to you and said "come and do your job in China, you'll earn 2/3 times your salary", most folk would consider it. I don't know why anyone would expect footballers to be any different.  

1 hour ago, McDange said:

What are folks thoughts on the big money attracting players to China in a bid to boost their league? Kind of a bigger version what Man City have done over the last few years but spread out more evenly. 

I'm actually for it. Id like to see a higher standard of football in more countries. Its just sad that they have to spend billions to improve it attracting better players. They could use the same money to develop the game from grass roots up. They are obviously looking for a quick fix though!

9 minutes ago, kumnio said:

The absolute snobbery in football is ridiculous. No one gives a flying fck about the 'greatest league in the world', they care about the money, thats all. If it went back to the 90s money wise, players would be in Germany, Italy or Spain. These presenters, pundits and journalists dont grasp that amazingly.

I bet good money that Sergio Aguero hadnt heard of Man City as a bairn, let alone wanted to play for them, the same goes for Jackson Martinez and Guangzhou Evergrande.

They'd also all be out of a job if the TV money wasn't there. The likes of Redknapp, Nevile x2, Owen, Collymore, Sutton et al getting pundit gigs simply wouldn't happen. There would be fewer of them and of a higher quality.

8 hours ago, Parklife said:

For a player i'd expect their career is about two things money and achievements. 

Some players will have a different balance between the two and be more susceptible to prioritizing the money on offer in China over the possibility of winning major trophies in Europe. 

However, if someone in most walks of life came to you and said "come and do your job in China, you'll earn 2/3 times your salary", most folk would consider it. I don't know why anyone would expect footballers to be any different.  

Mark Lawrenson on football focus without any sense of irony was lambasting Costa and other for going to another country chasing money in foreign leagues  

Nothing to do with his arrival in England then :lol: