The Last Man on the Moon - Page 12 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Last Man on the Moon

27 minutes ago, the lunger said:

I seem to recall that somewhere in this thread it is asserted that the Earth is motionless.

How does Foucault's pendulum fit into this ?

It probably doesn't. And you won't get an answer on how it does.

Thought I'd copy Ally's posts to the non-religious thread...

2 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

I wonder what kind of influence the gravity of those objects being so close together will have? Could be a fairly turbulent solar system!

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

I wonder what kind of influence the gravity of those objects being so close together will have? Could be a fairly turbulent solar system!

Gravity, come on, how many times have we got to go through this, stuff falls.FFS.

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

They'll be millions of miles away from each other surely? They just truncate distances for the purpose of illustration as a scale model would be ridiculous looking.

2 minutes ago, phart said:

They'll be millions of miles away from each other surely? They just truncate distances for the purpose of illustration as a scale model would be ridiculous looking.

Buzz Killington lol

Aye here is some perspective

Planets

32 minutes ago, phart said:

So about 50 million miles between the two closest, depending on shape of orbits and relative positions in that orbit.

It looks like that but some of the mock ups on NASA seem to suggest if you were on the surface of one of the planets you could see the others in the atmosphere

Probably just for effect

Image result for trappist nasa

The planets also are very close to each other. If a person was standing on one of the planet’s surface, they could gaze up and potentially see geological features or clouds of neighboring worlds, which would sometimes appear larger than the moon in Earth’s sky.

Image result for trappist nasa

Edited by Ally Bongo

5 hours ago, Eisegerwind said:

Dunno. I never actually saw them. From the description they sounded quite nasty. 

That's too bad.

You were one of the main people I was directing the post at.

You were sarcastically making light of "those poor oppressed Christians" in regard to me bringing attention to the Christian genocide https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genocide_of_Christians_by_ISIL and I responded by saying "here... make fun of this... "

WARNING GRAPHIC PHOTOS (RAW) - ISIS begins killing Christians in Mosul, CHILDREN BEHEADED

http://www.catholic.org/news/international/middle_east/story.php?id=56481

On 2/9/2017 at 5:29 PM, Mindimoo said:

Why did he not get a ban for those graphic images?

What's worse... Mocking genocide, or proving genocide to a mocker?

5 hours ago, Eisegerwind said:

Personally I took it as a bit of a win.

Live with your post. (God help you.)

7 hours ago, Toepoke said:

I appreciate that.

Best to pat each other on the back re: the latest satanic CGI deceptions over here.

(There's no such thing as 'light years' btw.)

5 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Fair enough looking that. I'd picked it up wrong earlier and thought all 7 planets were within the "Goldilocks zone" around a much smaller star than our own....

"It's a class 'M' planet, Captain."

320x240.jpg

2 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

Best to pat each other on the back re: the latest satanic CGI deceptions over here.

Seek help and grow up

4 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

(There's no such thing as 'light years' btw.)

What do you mean by that? Light travels at a particular speed (I've measured that myself) and a light year is the distance it'd travel in one year. 

Since Scotty bases his cosmology on Genesis chapter 1, I imagine that his position would be that the firmament is closer to earth than one light year. Hence it's a distance that can't be travelled. All evidence that counters this is fake.

The problem (well, one of the problems) with basing one's cosmology on Genesis, is that the book (along with a number of others in the Bible) is evidently a compilation of texts based on sources that came from different traditions. For example, at Genesis chapter 2 verse 4, we suddenly get a different name for God (a switch from Elohim to Yahweh), and this switch coincides with a different version of the creation of Adam and Eve. This would make no sense if we were dealing with the word of God; it makes perfect sense if we're dealing with a book that's a compilation of man-made texts.

52 minutes ago, DonnyTJS said:

Since Scotty bases his cosmology on Genesis chapter 1, I imagine that his position would be that the firmament is closer to earth than one light year. Hence it's a distance that can't be travelled. All evidence that counters this is fake.

The problem (well, one of the problems) with basing one's cosmology on Genesis, is that the book (along with a number of others in the Bible) is evidently a compilation of texts based on sources that came from different traditions. For example, at Genesis chapter 2 verse 4, we suddenly get a different name for God (a switch from Elohim to Yahweh), and this switch coincides with a different version of the creation of Adam and Eve. This would make no sense if we were dealing with the word of God; it makes perfect sense if we're dealing with a book that's a compilation of man-made texts.

That doesn't mean that a light year doesn't exist. It means that there's nothing that exists that is that size. The concept of something larger can still exist, it's just a unit of measurement. It's like saying a metre doesn't exist.

Edited by biffer

15 minutes ago, biffer said:

That doesn't mean that a light year doesn't exist. It means that there's nothing that exists that is that size. The concept of something larger can still exist, it's just a unit of measurement. It's like saying a metre doesn't exist.

I accept that, I was just playing 'Predict the response' - although on past form it was perhaps more likely that you were going to get no response at all.

Since Scotty's default position on counter-evidence based on physics is that it's been faked, I just wonder if things might not be a little less predictable if we also interrogate the one source of knowledge that he believes can't be faked ... I'm still waiting for the explanation of how God inscribed the Earth as a circle on the waters in Isaiah (I think), yet this circle has four corners in Revelation.

33 minutes ago, DonnyTJS said:

I accept that, I was just playing 'Predict the response' - although on past form it was perhaps more likely that you were going to get no response at all.

Since Scotty's default position on counter-evidence based on physics is that it's been faked, I just wonder if things might not be a little less predictable if we also interrogate the one source of knowledge that he believes can't be faked ... I'm still waiting for the explanation of how God inscribed the Earth as a circle on the waters in Isaiah (I think), yet this circle has four corners in Revelation.

Yeah I know you were doing that, it's easy to predict sometimes isn't it? I'd like an explanation of how we had holographic / CGI projection 100 years ago to fake all this.