Six Nations - Page 3 - Rugby - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Six Nations

Tartan_Don

2 hours ago, wellyman said:

I totally know where your coming from, a couple of seasons ago we could not buy a try now were running them in all over the place , the players have improved and the coaching has improved and that reflects on the results over the last 18 months.

It will be difficult against the French on sunday in Paris but if Scotland are on there game then who knows, the English at Twickenham is a different proposition altogether , Jones has basically built a big side to destroy teams , we must not get into a toe to toe contest with them as they are physically bigger than us, it is a game to throw the ball about like we did against the Irish in the first half and see.

The problem with the football is that there has been no improvement for over 20 years and there is no hope of that changing anytime soon, from the very top , through the coaching it is a total non starter.  Until someone actually makes whole sale changes i cannot see a Scotland team being at any world cup finals and that includes when its increased  to 48 teams. During the 70's Scotland were the best home nation in the UK and Ireland, now we are by far the worst, there are good youth players around but there are not the senior players to help them on the pitch and guide them along.  

Anyway move from the gloom of football and enjoy some entertainment and success of the Rugby team.

Ive not bought the SSC Season ticket this campaign and not been at any of the games so far and I'm not missing it, which is depressing itself. 

Definitely looking at the rugby as a replacement. Even the wife enjoys that so the longer day away in Edinburgh won't be a problem. 

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Ive not bought the SSC Season ticket this campaign and not been at any of the games so far and I'm not missing it, which is depressing itself. 

Definitely looking at the rugby as a replacement. Even the wife enjoys that so the longer day away in Edinburgh won't be a problem. 

Take in a sevens tournament , good entertainment , teams from all over the world and Scotland are on the up in that as well .

Normally costs around £25 to £30 for six hours of entertainment, unfortunately we lost our leg of the world tour so London and Paris are the closest ones . 

Nevr

13 hours ago, wellyman said:

Take in a sevens tournament , good entertainment , teams from all over the world and Scotland are on the up in that as well .

Normally costs around £25 to £30 for six hours of entertainment, unfortunately we lost our leg of the world tour so London and Paris are the closest ones . 

Never mind a sevens tournament - rugby league a far better game to watch. Although bit too far away if you are in Scotland but the Magic Weekend at St James Park in Newcastle is just brilliant with 3 games on the Saturday and three on the Sunday.

I always watch the rugby internationals in the hope that they will be good but unfortunately I cant cope with way rugby union has gone since the days of professionalism and its a totally different game from the one I played twenty years ago. Ball the the jumper , drive in , get tackled recycle and repeat. A player like Styuart Hogg would have been fantastic in the old days ..now we just see one or two glimpses in a game amongst the dross - David Campese wouldn't have got a look in these days.

For me the Scotland Ireland game was only exciting in terms of the closeness of the result - watched the England -France game - well I tried to watch it and got distracted as there was some paint drying.

1 hour ago, irnbruman said:

Nevr

Never mind a sevens tournament - rugby league a far better game to watch. Although bit too far away if you are in Scotland but the Magic Weekend at St James Park in Newcastle is just brilliant with 3 games on the Saturday and three on the Sunday.

I always watch the rugby internationals in the hope that they will be good but unfortunately I cant cope with way rugby union has gone since the days of professionalism and its a totally different game from the one I played twenty years ago. Ball the the jumper , drive in , get tackled recycle and repeat. A player like Styuart Hogg would have been fantastic in the old days ..now we just see one or two glimpses in a game amongst the dross - David Campese wouldn't have got a look in these days.

For me the Scotland Ireland game was only exciting in terms of the closeness of the result - watched the England -France game - well I tried to watch it and got distracted as there was some paint drying.

Very true. Also thinking of guys like Blanco, Sella etc.

10 hours ago, irnbruman said:

Nevr

20-30 years ago was the epitome of 10 man, ball-up-the-jumper rugby. Dean Richards made a career of it. Both the Scotland game and the England vs France games at the weekend were excellent with a lot of running rugby. The Wales vs Italy game was pretty ordinary. Campese, Sella and Blanco would all be fine in today's game, although Blanco might have to cut back on the fags and red wine.

Edited by Pool Q

10 hours ago, irnbruman said:

Nevr

I agree League is a more high tempo game with the ball moving around a lot faster,  unfortunately it is not as well established as Union world wide and unless you have been brought up in New Zealand, Australia or the north of England it is difficult to see the games live.

The whole "ball up the jumper" play certainly can kill games and players like Hogg would be more involved if this did not happen , unfortunately until they change the rules coach's like Eddie Jones will use it to his advantage .

One reason for watching the Sevens is that it bridges the gap between Union and League and if your new to rugby it is easier to understand than a full Union game.

On 08/02/2017 at 7:22 AM, wellyman said:

Went to 7s tournament at Commonwealth games and really enjoyed it. Kids did too.

I think you're onto something though, will definitely give it a go. 

On 08/02/2017 at 9:07 PM, irnbruman said:

Nevr

Ive tried watching Rugby League on the TV but I just dont enjoy it. I think it's because I have no affinity with any of the teams. 

I get the rules now but I just enjoy the rugby union more. 

9 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Went to 7s tournament at Commonwealth games and really enjoyed it. Kids did too.

I think you're onto something though, will definitely give it a go. 

HSBC Sevens world tour -

Paris - 13th / 14th May

London - 20th /21st May

10 minutes ago, wellyman said:

HSBC Sevens world tour -

Paris - 13th / 14th May

London - 20th /21st May

Whats your thoughts on Sundays game? 

I wonder if that loss for the french will cause a backlash and brings us back down to earth.

I think we can do well. Basically, if we're within a score with 15 to go, I think we will do it, as they will be blowing out their arse. Teams named today. I'm not expecting any changes, but I've seen on another forum the idea of starting ford and possibly Reid, before bringing in the more mobile Brown and Dell with 20 to go, purely with the purpose of running the French into the ground. Hope Russell plays better, and it would be nice to see Price (although if we do, it will probably mean we are chasing the game).

And while I like rugby league, it just reminds me of a game of bulldog, or touch rugby with almost proper tackling. The scrums and re-starts after touch are a farce. I still watched Saints v Leeds last night though!

2 hours ago, Duncan Blackheart said:

I think we can do well. Basically, if we're within a score with 15 to go, I think we will do it, as they will be blowing out their arse. Teams named today. I'm not expecting any changes, but I've seen on another forum the idea of starting ford and possibly Reid, before bringing in the more mobile Brown and Dell with 20 to go, purely with the purpose of running the French into the ground. Hope Russell plays better, and it would be nice to see Price (although if we do, it will probably mean we are chasing the game).

And while I like rugby league, it just reminds me of a game of bulldog, or touch rugby with almost proper tackling. The scrums and re-starts after touch are a farce. I still watched Saints v Leeds last night though!

Also, if we're with the French that late, their crowd may start getting on their back as they're a wee bit fickle.

I genuinely wish I could be more confident, but France looked pretty strong against England and wins in Paris have always been rare. Our scrum was awful against Ireland, and the French front row will have been virtually uncontainable all week at the prospect of matching up with it. If the French think they can scrum us into the ground, they'll take great delight in doing just that.

If we go with Reid and Fagerson that's the two guys (good, honest players) who were found out (off the bench) as not good enough at the start of the last 6N. Fagerson is young and may have improved, though there wasn't much sign of it last week. Which is a shame as the rest of the team look more than capable of holding their own against anyone, and it's years since we had a back line with tries in it like this one. 

7 minutes ago, Pool Q said:

I genuinely wish I could be more confident, but France looked pretty strong against England and wins in Paris have always been rare. Our scrum was awful against Ireland, and the French front row will have been virtually uncontainable all week at the prospect of matching up with it. If the French think they can scrum us into the ground, they'll take great delight in doing just that.

If we go with Reid and Fagerson that's the two guys (good, honest players) who were found out (off the bench) as not good enough at the start of the last 6N. Fagerson is young and may have improved, though there wasn't much sign of it last week. Which is a shame as the rest of the team look more than capable of holding their own against anyone, and it's years since we had a back line with tries in it like this one. 

I think the same. Hope I'm wrong, but I think we are going to be giving away penalties all over the pitch because of our scrum. And, if we manage to play the whole game with 15 men on the pitch, I'l be pleasantly surprised. But you never know, if we could manage to get a couple of early tries, like we did against Ireland, the French discipline might go a wee bit?

1 hour ago, Pool Q said:

If we go with Reid and Fagerson that's the two guys (good, honest players) who were found out (off the bench) as not good enough at the start of the last 6N. Fagerson is young and may have improved, though there wasn't much sign of it last week.

Bit harsh on Fagerson there! Thought he had a decent game and he has certainly improved. Also, one of his middle names is Ragnar, which is another plus point against him!

IN the loose, Fagerson had a damn fine game last week. 17 tackles made and hit a lot of rucks. Very fast out of the defensive line harrying the first receiver off the side of the breakdown as well. 2 penalties against him in the scrum in the first twenty minutes or so, but it solidified a bit after that and we avoided having scrums by not dropping the ball. (How much of the scrum stabilisation was down to Dell / Fagerson finding ways to cope and how much down to Ford coming on is open to debate).

Edited by biffer

Entirely fair to highlight the work that both Dell and Fagerson did in the loose. Cotter spoke about them in terms of it almost being like having two additional back-row men on the pitch. But (and it is a huge but) the one thing a prop has to be able to do (no matter how good he is at everything and anything else) is scrummage, otherwise the team almost always finds itself on the back foot, with poor possession, conceding turn over ball and penalties and (often) with men in the bin. In their post match analysis I'm sure the Irish will have reflected on their failure to drive home their obvious advantage in the scrum. It was an open goal and France are unlikely to make the same mistake. Brown starting might indicate that it is the props, rather than Ford, who are being credited with whatever improvement there was in the scrum, so good luck to them. Fagerson is a talent but is really young to be an international prop and is being asked to learn the hard way. I've seen the big guy Berghan come on as a replacement in a number of games for Edinburgh and each time he has improved the scrum a lot. He, conversely, offers less around the field, but he'll feature for a chunk of the second half on Sunday I suspect.

6 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Whats your thoughts on Sundays game? 

I wonder if that loss for the french will cause a backlash and brings us back down to earth.

I think there could be a backlash from the French but if we can go at them the same way as we did the Irish in the first 20 to 30 minutes then i think we can knock them off there stride .

The French and the French crowd in particular do not like to see there side put down, if you hear them booing then thats the job half done , they have some big units in there team but if you can hit them and hit them hard it will put them om the back foot. I also think this can be a good game for interceptions , the French love to throw the ball but if we can play a high line i think there is every chance of an interception or two.

With a hand on heart i am going for a narrow Scotland win 

Worried about our scrum (as has been said). Losing Nel was a massive loss.

Anywho, you can only piss with the cock you've got. Nothing to lose, the pressure will be squarely on the home team. If we can get decent ball from rucks, line outs we have a devastating set of backs.

in the league predictor at work I've plumbed for Scotland by 3. The office is split down the middle with this one. (Same with the Wales V England game BTW).

In a bout of optimism I've just bought a ticket for the Italy game and a flight from Bristol in March.

3 hours ago, Bristolhibby said:

Worried about our scrum (as has been said). Losing Nel was a massive loss.

Anywho, you can only piss with the cock you've got. Nothing to lose, the pressure will be squarely on the home team. If we can get decent ball from rucks, line outs we have a devastating set of backs.

in the league predictor at work I've plumbed for Scotland by 3. The office is split down the middle with this one. (Same with the Wales V England game BTW).

In a bout of optimism I've just bought a ticket for the Italy game and a flight from Bristol in March.

:lol:

Italy really are cannon fodder and you do feel relegation should be an issue as the likes of Georgia are chomping at the bit, I know the head of Six Nations has re-iterated this week that it isn't up for discussion and Italy stay with no option for likes of Georgia to replace them but what about adding Georgia into the tournament as a one off.