Six Nations

Tartan_Don

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Flure said:

Explain, please?

They were not committing to the ruck. A ruck needs two opposing players to be formed. Italy simply weren't dancing with them.

That then meant the off side line (usually the back foot of a ruck) simply wasn't there and the Italians could stand where ever they wanted.

J

8 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

Has this not gone viral yet? :lol:

'I'm a referee, not your coach'

That was a great line.

I noticed Matt Dawson's dummy came out on Twitter at half time, saying the Italian tactics would ruin the sport, only for Jonathan Davies to reply saying that the All Blacks would have sussed it and been 70 points up by now :-)) 

42 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

John Hardie out for the tournament now. That's pretty much half a team injured!

we're still playing well despite the injuries. Hardie went off after 24 minutes on Saturday, we were shite until the 2nd half started. Losing these players is a huge blow but we are still playing well without them.

59 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

That was a great line.

I noticed Matt Dawson's dummy came out on Twitter at half time, saying the Italian tactics would ruin the sport, only for Jonathan Davies to reply saying that the All Blacks would have sussed it and been 70 points up by now :-)) 

Yeah, Dawson  had a bit of a meltdown. Very funny and reflects how little he knows about the game. 

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

That was a great line.

Tom English also got him and Eddie Jones told on Twitter. I would love to see Jones reaction if we some how pull off a win on the 11th of March

13 hours ago, Rossy said:

Scotland now ranked 5th in the world.....above South Africa, France and Wales....our highest ever ranking.

Should mean a guaranteed seeding for the next world cup....:ok:

It would be good if we got Ireland as the top seeds in our group. Knowing our luck we will probably get the All Blacks and Argentina.:lol:

Mind you, if we could beat England we might get up to 4th in the rankings and be a top seed ourselves?

I think the draw is in May.

47 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

One of the greatest lines in sport, ever. ? 

Yes ... but ....

Not seen the game, so am speaking from ignorance here (and I've nowt against innovative tactics - particularly when the end result is England walking away with a bonus point as well as being made to look a bit thick), but I can't quite get my head around the way the ref. played this.

According to the report I've seen: "Italy were not acting illegally. Coach Conor O'Shea had run the tactic past referee Romain Poite on Saturday, and not only been given the all-clear but a little bit of advice too: to be within the spirit of the laws as well as the wording, do not get within a metre of the nine."

All well and good, but he then left England to figure out how he was going to interpret the 'spirit of the laws' by trial and error. Something doesn't feel quite right about his advising one side on how he was going to play the law but giving no hint (as far as I'm aware) to the other. Dunno if any of the rugby folk on here can straighten this out for me?

2 hours ago, DonnyTJS said:

Yes ... but ....

Not seen the game, so am speaking from ignorance here (and I've nowt against innovative tactics - particularly when the end result is England walking away with a bonus point as well as being made to look a bit thick), but I can't quite get my head around the way the ref. played this.

According to the report I've seen: "Italy were not acting illegally. Coach Conor O'Shea had run the tactic past referee Romain Poite on Saturday, and not only been given the all-clear but a little bit of advice too: to be within the spirit of the laws as well as the wording, do not get within a metre of the nine."

All well and good, but he then left England to figure out how he was going to interpret the 'spirit of the laws' by trial and error. Something doesn't feel quite right about his advising one side on how he was going to play the law but giving no hint (as far as I'm aware) to the other. Dunno if any of the rugby folk on here can straighten this out for me?

That's not really what happened though. The English players asked him for clarification, he told them that when there was no ruck formed, there was no offside line. He did tell them about the exclusion zone around the tackle, they asked if they could drag a man into that, he said they could not as it would be a penalty. Haskell then asked 'So how do we make sure it's a ruck?' and it's at that point that he said he was a ref not a coach, because in the ref's opinion that's straying over the line into tactics instead of laws (I agree with him). The straightforward thing to do is pick and go, but it took the England pack nearly 40 minutes to figure that out. If the ref had told them that, he would have been giving them tactical advice.

The main thing the ref got wrong was there were a number of occasions where a second Italian player actually made contact with the tackled english player and then backed off (just laid a hand on him then decided to back off). That should have been a ruck formed and an offside line created. But that was only a few times - for the most part Poite was right.

There are other things they could have done as well btw. As there's no ruck, there's no pressure on the attacking team to use the ball - the ref couldn't shout 'ues it' because the ball is in open play, but the 9 couldn't be tackled so the English team could have used that to their advantage. Italy's tactics put breaks into their defensive line, and the 9 had all the time in the world to read these and use them to his advantage, but England were rattler and panicked by the Italians and calm heads were a rare commodity. 

If there is no ruck, there is no offside line. If you play rugby this really isn't that complicated, and neither is it all that new. Most of England's complaints didn't even relate to players who were within a metre of the scrum-half, and it was pretty brainless response from England in the first half. Other teams have used the tactic intermittently in very high level games in recent years, and in some ways Peter Horne's try in the RWC QF against Australia showed what a player with a rugby brain does when the tackling side don't commit players to form a ruck - pick up the ball and run straight down the middle with it. 

6 hours ago, biffer said:

That's not really what happened though. The English players asked him for clarification, he told them that when there was no ruck formed, there was no offside line. He did tell them about the exclusion zone around the tackle, they asked if they could drag a man into that, he said they could not as it would be a penalty. Haskell then asked 'So how do we make sure it's a ruck?' and it's at that point that he said he was a ref not a coach, because in the ref's opinion that's straying over the line into tactics instead of laws (I agree with him). The straightforward thing to do is pick and go, but it took the England pack nearly 40 minutes to figure that out. If the ref had told them that, he would have been giving them tactical advice.

The main thing the ref got wrong was there were a number of occasions where a second Italian player actually made contact with the tackled english player and then backed off (just laid a hand on him then decided to back off). That should have been a ruck formed and an offside line created. But that was only a few times - for the most part Poite was right.

Exactly this. Donny, watch the clip on YouTube. The moronic English response is startling. There professional sportsmen had no idea of the rules of their own game. 

No wonder their coach was a greetin faced wee twat in the press conference, he must have been humiliated by his players stupidity. He had to try and deflect attention elsewhere. 

I just hope either us or Ireland beat them and stop the Grand Slam. 

2 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Exactly this. Donny, watch the clip on YouTube. The moronic English response is startling. There professional sportsmen had no idea of the rules of their own game. 

No wonder their coach was a greetin faced wee twat in the press conference, he must have been humiliated by his players stupidity. He had to try and deflect attention elsewhere.

Yeah, biffer's post clarifies everything (aye, I probably should've had a dek at Youtube). I've less an issue with them not understanding the rules, more their failure to realize the attacking opportunities it gave them ...

9 hours ago, biffer said:

He did tell them about the exclusion zone around the tackle,

Ta, that clears up my main confusion.

The straightforward thing to do is pick and go, but it took the England pack nearly 40 minutes to figure that out.

Exactly. As I read the report I thought that would be the obvious counter and actually assumed there must've been a reason they couldn't (and I know bugger all about the modern game). Embarrassingly poor on-field reaction from the automata in white...

12 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

I just hope either us or Ireland beat them and stop the Grand Slam. 

I watched it in the pub with a load of England fans  [supposedly rugby guys]  my knowledge of the rules is limited but after about 30 mins, I said why don't they just pick up and run with it !!!!  - they all just looked at me as if i was stupid, then at half time the pundits on tv all said the same.

At the end they gave it some  "swing low sweet chariot"  shite  -  so i gave them the  " Eddie Jones is a fanny"  to the magic hat song !!! - as its not your normal rugby song that left them confused as well :)  

11 minutes ago, wellyman said:

I watched it in the pub with a load of England fans  [supposedly rugby guys]  my knowledge of the rules is limited but after about 30 mins, I said why don't they just pick up and run with it !!!!  - they all just looked at me as if i was stupid, then at half time the pundits on tv all said the same.

At the end they gave it some  "swing low sweet chariot"  shite  -  so i gave them the  " Eddie Jones is a fanny"  to the magic hat song !!! - as its not your normal rugby song that left them confused as well :)  

I usually greet Swing Low with a chorus of 'you've got one song, and it's racist' to the tune of walking in a winter wonderland. Had a whole tram full singing it last year after the calcutta cup.