Six Nations - Page 4 - Rugby - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Six Nations

Tartan_Don

56 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Italy really are cannon fodder and you do feel relegation should be an issue as the likes of Georgia are chomping at the bit, I know the head of Six Nations has re-iterated this week that it isn't up for discussion and Italy stay with no option for likes of Georgia to replace them but what about adding Georgia into the tournament as a one off.

Or just adding them. Cut back on the autum internationals by one game and your sorted.

J

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Italy really are cannon fodder and you do feel relegation should be an issue as the likes of Georgia are chomping at the bit, I know the head of Six Nations has re-iterated this week that it isn't up for discussion and Italy stay with no option for likes of Georgia to replace them but what about adding Georgia into the tournament as a one off.

Except that in the last 10 years of the six nations, they've beaten us 5 times.

10 hours ago, biffer said:

Except that in the last 10 years of the six nations, they've beaten us 5 times.

Yes and yet I'd hazard a guess they still finished below us in the table. If I were being honest I'd sooner see Italy remain and Georgia added but the head of the Six Nations is having none of that. Quite closed mind he has on the matter. I understand his viewpoint in that he wants Italy to grow as a rugby nation and sees their continued Six Nations participation as key to that but surely the same should apply to all nations ie Georgia who are actually world ranked above Italy.

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes and yet I'd hazard a guess they still finished below us in the table. If I were being honest I'd sooner see Italy remain and Georgia added but the head of the Six Nations is having none of that. Quite closed mind he has on the matter. I understand his viewpoint in that he wants Italy to grow as a rugby nation and sees their continued Six Nations participation as key to that but surely the same should apply to all nations ie Georgia who are actually world ranked above Italy.

They finished above us 3 times. One of those seasons they finished above Wales as well, and in one of the seasons that we were ahead of them, they were ahead of both Italy and France. Worth pointing out they've only been bottom two of the last five years.

1 minute ago, biffer said:

They finished above us 3 times. One of those seasons they finished above Wales as well, and in one of the seasons that we were ahead of them, they were ahead of both Italy and France. Worth pointing out they've only been bottom two of the last five years.

Point taken but they have been part of the Six Nations now for approaching two decades and would hazard a guess have strung together two wins per campaign less than five times in all those years so it isn't like we are seeing them growing in stature is it?

17 hours ago, Ormond said:

Welsh threw that away there. Booting it right into the hands of the English.

Aye, the Welsh blew it there. The biggest mistake was fukin up the line out so badly after Dan Biggar's interception. 

That last kick wasn't the first time they just threw possession away. They had won a few turnovers and just booted the ball straight back to England again. I don't know why teams do that.

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Point taken but they have been part of the Six Nations now for approaching two decades and would hazard a guess have strung together two wins per campaign less than five times in all those years so it isn't like we are seeing them growing in stature is it?

Yeah, but equally it took France 25 tournaments over 44 years before they won the championship, and then it was shared with England and Wales. It was another five years before they won it outright. You could make the same statement about us as well by the way.

Just now, biffer said:

Yeah, but equally it took France 25 tournaments over 44 years before they won the championship, and then it was shared with England and Wales. It was another five years before they won it outright. You could make the same statement about us as well by the way.

We have been at perhaps our weakest we have ever been in the last decade or two though have shown signs of improvement in recent times. Even us at our lowest ebb we have more often than not finished above Italy. Now I have no issue Italy remaining in the tournament but do think it odd that Georgia have been categorically ruled out of replacing them or even playing Italy in a test to see how they match up by boss of Six Nations. And like I said Georgia are above them in the rankings.

1 minute ago, Brassrubber said:

Oh shockeroony scotland give away penalties and lose 

New era suspended again indefinitely 

A bit of an over-reaction I think.

Remember France have run Australia, New Zealand and England close lately. Scotland lost key players but stayed right in there until the end. Disappointing that the winless streak in Paris goes on but at least they were competitive.

We competed well right across the park, and outscored France 2 tries to 1.

You're not going to win many games of rugby though with a scrum that only has a reverse gear. With Nel and Dickinson fit we could well have won that, but Dell and Fagerson don't look up to the job I'm afraid.

22 minutes ago, Duncan Blackheart said:

I think it was Nathan Hines telling him to hurry up. Bizarre moment. Not Russell's best game. Would be surprised if he made Lions.

Was it? But Hines had just arrived with the kicking tee. I got the impression the ref had said something about how long he had left to take it. I was watching in the pub so couldn't hear what was being said by the commentators, but it seemed an odd situation to me. You get 90 seconds to take it, but I've never seen a ref hurry up a goal kicker who has just received the tee. 

1 minute ago, Pool Q said:

Was it? But Hines had just arrived with the kicking tee. I got the impression the ref had said something about how long he had left to take it. I was watching in the pub so couldn't hear what was being said by the commentators, but it seemed an odd situation to me. You get 90 seconds to take it, but I've never seen a ref hurry up a goal kicker who has just received the tee. 

Yes and when he actually kicked it only 45 seconds had passed so the ref was in no position to tell him to hurry up.

Andrew Cotter (commentator) has confirmed that having spoken to the coaching team afterwards, they wanted him to kick it as quickly as possible so that it couldn't be reviewed by the TMO. They were worried both about Russell's pass to Seymour off the ground (might have been forward) and about the wee shove that Seymour gave the French fella as the ball bounced back over his head.

Edited by biffer

27 minutes ago, biffer said:

Andrew Cotter (commentator) has confirmed that having spoken to the coaching team afterwards, they wanted him to kick it as quickly as possible so that it couldn't be reviewed by the TMO. They were worried both about Russell's pass to Seymour off the ground (might have been forward) and about the wee shove that Seymour gave the French fella as the ball bounced back over his head.

It all makes sense now. I was surprised Seymour got away with that wee nudge. It wasn't much of a nudge but it was deliberate (and I'm pretty sure illegal) and enough to put the French guy off. 

The question the coaching staff have to ask is, why Russell was celebrating behind the goal line when he should have known that he had a kick to take? Had he forgotten that Laidlaw had gone off?:blink:

And Russell will be nowhere near the Lions.

24 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

It all makes sense now. I was surprised Seymour got away with that wee nudge. It wasn't much of a nudge but it was deliberate (and I'm pretty sure illegal) and enough to put the French guy off. 

The question the coaching staff have to ask is, why Russell was celebrating behind the goal line when he should have known that he had a kick to take? Had he forgotten that Laidlaw had gone off?:blink:

And Russell will be nowhere near the Lions.

Russell had plenty of time to take it, time wasn't an issue. He probably didn't realise there was potential for a review. He still had another 60 seconds.

8 minutes ago, biffer said:

Russell had plenty of time to take it, time wasn't an issue. He probably didn't realise there was potential for a review. He still had another 60 seconds.

It's not something I have paid much attention too, so I don't know what goalkickers normally do, but I don't think the goal kicker should be getting involved in try celebrations. He still has his job to do. It was a shambles though. Not all Russells fault. But starting to look like the ref was getting some undue criticism when it was nothing to with him.