USA holiday - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

USA holiday

Looking at booking a holiday for myself to USA to NYC.  Can anyone help what are requirements now for going, heard VISA and Esta? have an up to date british passport

Thanks

2 minutes ago, Geed said:

Looking at booking a holiday for myself to USA to NYC.  Can anyone help what are requirements now for going, heard VISA and Esta? have an up to date british passport

Thanks

Yeah you'll need to apply for an Esta (which is effectively your Visa) but assuming you don't have any criminal convictions you should have no problems.  It's a pretty straight forward procedure which you can do online and it costs about $14.  Once you have your Esta you can use it for multiple visits for 2 years.  Just double check that your passport has more than 6 months remaining on it from your date of return though.

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

I'm pretty sure nothing has changed yet. He's only been in the job for a day and I'm fairly sure "Fukin up Geed's holiday" is fairly low down his list of priorities. 

Seriously though, you can do it all online. You need to have 6 months left on your passport after the end of your holiday. You could start doing it now in case things do start to change, which I doubt will happen very quickly. Unless you are a Muslim, of course. In which case forget it.:lol:

6 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Yeah you'll need to apply for an Esta (which is effectively your Visa) but assuming you don't have any criminal convictions you should have no problems.  It's a pretty straight forward procedure which you can do online and it costs about $14.  Once you have your Esta you can use it for multiple visits for 2 years.  Just double check that your passport has more than 6 months remaining on it from your date of return though.

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

Aye, what he said. And make sure you use the proper US government website. If you do a google search you will get loads of official looking websites which are just offering to do it for you. They are just a rip off. Do it yourself. It's easy. If I can do it, anybody can.

Thanks all, going to have a look later for booking since I am not planning on doing the 2 remaining Scotland trips this year, I am going to get a proper holiday for the first time in years.