Alright Jock - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Alright Jock

A message for the young of Scotland.

You'll hear lots of talk in the coming weeks. "It was a biased media's fault", "Westminster is corrupt - and will go to any length to preserve their privilege".

These words may be true.

However, even if these people were all onside, there is one last obstacle to a better future for you.

The people of Scotland (specifically, the older generation).

The last few decades have been rather kind to them. And any change comes with the threat of losing what they have.

Normally, these people don't participate electorally (as evidenced by the usual turnout figures). However, as soon as they perceive a threat to THEIR future, they vote to deny you a better life.

That's democracy.

And I fear that until they shuffle off this mortal coil, or their personal circumstances become so bad that they vote for change, it will continue to be so.

You have 2 options:

Stay in Scotland and continue the good fight; or look elsewhere for a better life.

Scotland = Scotland's people.

They have abandoned you (for their own selfish reasons).

While the stats, such as Ashcroft's, show the impact of the over-65 vote what the post-polls don't clearly show is the impact of the indebted middle class on the No vote, which I think more explains the results in Edinburgh and Aberdeen than it does an alleged snobbery or higher-income incomer populations. The irony is that so many of them voted for the people that created their debt while enriching themselves. Turkeys voting for Xmas.

I think its too simplistic to say we were abandoned by the older generation. Within the no voters in that age group you will have several camps.

The baby boomers with 4 buy-to-let flats who have retired with more money than they'll ever need abandoned us for sure.

The pensioners who worked hard all their life to amass very little wealth may have been essentially bullied into voting no by big business and the media. If you cant afford your messages and you get told no means food prices going up you would be very worried.

I think we were badly let down by some older people, but not all of them.

The pensioners are vulnerable, easily scared. They typically do not read the alternative media and they are old school, deferential to the state and trusting of what the MSM says.

This is why they went after them - easy targets.

For 4 years the SNP tried to demonstrate to them the benefits of more power here. It did not work for some reason. They slammed the door in their face with gusto. Growing in post war Scotland I think has instilled a pessimism and fear in them that the younger folk do not have.

I think the accusation of "I'm all right Jock" is much more justifiably levelled at the populations of Aberdeen and Edinburgh far more than the pensioners who are just mostly frightened. Aberdeen in particular is poor. Edinburgh I always suspected would be No.

The pensioners are vulnerable, easily scared. They typically do not read the alternative media and they are old school, deferential to the state and trusting of what the MSM says.

This is why they went after them - easy targets.

For 4 years the SNP tried to demonstrate to them the benefits of more power here. It did not work for some reason. They slammed the door in their face with gusto. Growing in post war Scotland I think has instilled a pessimism and fear in them that the younger folk do not have.

Somebody has finally realised there is a lot of vulnerable people out there.

Tell them we will take away your pound and your pension then what do you expect.

Its a no brainier to take this forward we need to reassure those people.

There is at least 20% of our people that would vote YES if we can do that .

Sorry but as I said on another thread I know more 30- 40 year old No voters than any 65 and over. Obviously I know many older people who voted No but I have been shocked, saddened and disgusted at the amount of 40 odd year old No voters. Every one of them to a man voted No through greed. Kunts to a man. And yes 'to a man', all my girlfriends voted Yes. Some female acquaintances voted No but they are so thick they probably uses text talk and/or smiley faces to fill in the form and spoiled it anyway.