Getting rid of Sky - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Getting rid of Sky

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 29/01/2017 at 10:30 AM, Dalgety Bay TA said:

I've always been a cynic in terms of live sport on Kodi. Have watched a few games, or bits of games, and found the quality to be average at best especially on big screen tellys. However I was at my wife's aunties a couple weeks ago and her man has an IPTV subscription. I was VERY impressed. HD or near enough HD quality on a big telly. He pays about £70 a year for IPTV and VOD. My Sky renewal is up in about a month. Last year I had everything bar movies for approx £30 a month, including multiroom. Will be aiming for something similar this year but if I don't get that will look at binning it. Only way you get decent prices now with Sky is to actually cancel and then re-negotiate/haggle over the costs.

Everything bar movies for £30! How so?

Did you have line rental, broadband, etc with them?

Cheers

J

Just had a phone call from Sky. Had cancelled everything bar Broadband and phone.. Offered me £10 a month for what i was paying £45...

Also have a contract with eDigitalPlace.com which gives me all the Sky movies n sport for $35 a year. 

Have just renewed Broadband as it's the cheapest I could find on the market. 

TV expires shortly. Can pay £10/month retainer for use of Sky+ box to save buying a decent freesat+ box at some expense. 

Had at one point been paying £85/month for which I can't really justify why. Set to save roughly £650/year. Mental as I'm all over the rest of my finances.

Guest BlueGaz
2 hours ago, Bristolhibby said:

Cheers

J

I just moved back to Sky last night, after BT decided to put their prices up and it gave me a get out.  I am paying £34.10 a month for everything, including movies.  

18 hours ago, Bristolhibby said:

Cheers

J

No, line rental and broadband with BT.

I cancelled, they then offered me a deal to come back (50%) straight away, within 10 mins of cancelling. I held out for a bit longer fhen went on live chat as I knew you could get 60% and £100 account credit max at time. They had actually dropped their offer to 33% on My Sky but I ignored that. Convo went like this

me - I am thinking about coming back, you offered me 50% off, but it's still quite expensive 

sky - we can give you 60%

me - of everything? Including multi room?

sky - no it's still full price 

me - that's still expensive, about £120+ per year

sky - we can give you £100 account credit to help cover that cost

me - ok!

Basically I check the MSE Sky haggling thread to see what Sky are offering hagglers at the moment and if I can get near enough that I will renew.

On 29/01/2017 at 9:22 AM, DaveyDenoon said:

Get a zgemma box loaded with a sky skin. Cost about £120 including 12 month sub. £20 per year to renew.

Hook it up with your satellite dish cables and wireless broadband. You're picking up broadcasts not streams so no buffering etc.

Youll get all the sky channels, BT sport, etc etc.

Looks and behaves exactly like sky including pause, record, etc.

Much easier than kodi.

.....and you would get one of these things where?

I've just ditched SKY as well complete rip off.  Looking at getting a KODI stick. Also looking to change broadband provider ...any suggestions ?

Guest BlueGaz
On 11/02/2017 at 3:20 PM, MacTaz said:

I've just ditched SKY as well complete rip off.  Looking at getting a KODI stick. Also looking to change broadband provider ...any suggestions ?

BT all the way for me. Our wifi gets busy and it's def the best hub. If you don't have a busy wifi at home, go for the cheapest. If you do, go for BT. 

Guest BlueGaz
On 11/02/2017 at 0:00 PM, Dalgety Bay TA said:

No, line rental and broadband with BT.

I cancelled, they then offered me a deal to come back (50%) straight away, within 10 mins of cancelling. I held out for a bit longer fhen went on live chat as I knew you could get 60% and £100 account credit max at time. They had actually dropped their offer to 33% on My Sky but I ignored that. Convo went like this

me - I am thinking about coming back, you offered me 50% off, but it's still quite expensive 

sky - we can give you 60%

me - of everything? Including multi room?

sky - no it's still full price 

me - that's still expensive, about £120+ per year

sky - we can give you £100 account credit to help cover that cost

me - ok!

Basically I check the MSE Sky haggling thread to see what Sky are offering hagglers at the moment and if I can get near enough that I will renew.

Standard discount at the mo is 35% off if u need box and remote, 60% off if you don't. I couldn't get cheaper than 60% off the other night. 

9 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

Standard discount at the mo is 35% off if u need box and remote, 60% off if you don't. I couldn't get cheaper than 60% off the other night. 

Cheers. If I get 60% will subscribe for another year. 

Virgin Media laying FTTP cable in D Bay at moment, will see how that goes this year with view to switching all to it next year.

On 2/10/2017 at 1:53 PM, they've_been_suckered said:

Have just renewed Broadband as it's the cheapest I could find on the market. 

TV expires shortly. Can pay £10/month retainer for use of Sky+ box to save buying a decent freesat+ box at some expense. 

Had at one point been paying £85/month for which I can't really justify why. Set to save roughly £650/year. Mental as I'm all over the rest of my finances.

I was lucky, when I cancelled, I said I could get better deal with plusnet.  Matched it staright away and let me keep record functions for free without me even mentioning it. Was no hard sell as the bloke knew I wanted to leave and wasn't interested in a deal on the tv.  More than happy with Now TV as I get HD broadcast on the normal internet I get in my area and the Entertainment package is pretty much the only channels I used to watch on sky anyway. Wouldn't touch freesat as you can't get some of the decent channels that you can get on freeview (Dave, Home, Quest, etc)

Edited by Bobby Russell's Lovechild

Guest BlueGaz
13 hours ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

Cheers. If I get 60% will subscribe for another year. 

Virgin Media laying FTTP cable in D Bay at moment, will see how that goes this year with view to switching all to it next year.

If you go over 12 months being away from Sky, you will be classed as a new customer, so you will also get the other deals, which I think is a 32" TV or a samsung pad or something like that at the moment.  I was only away for 6 months so didnt get any of the extra stuff available unfortunately.  

Paying ~€100 per year for HD IPTV.  

All UK,  European, North American, Arabic sports as well as the usual Sky package and all the top US channels. 

Recently realised I had an infrared blaster on my NAS so programmed my telly remote to control Kodi's PVR function.  

Also downloaded all the TV icons and have a great source for the TV guide.  All working amazingly well and looks the part. 

The IPTV zaps just as fast as satellite, which is impressive for FHD streams. https://www.sky-ukhd.com 

I used to pay around €40 for a larger package but the reliability and quality were shocking. Steer clear of Aliexpress for IPTV or satellite cardsharing codes. Always been poor for me. 

Still using the Nvidia Shield TV and nightly Kodi builds but can use the IPTV streams on the phone, Chromecast, laptop or computer at work if I wanted. 

Phone Sky, give notice that you want to cancel (its a 28 day notice period), and as soon as you hang up the phone, log into your Sky account and there will be a 40%-50% off for a year offer to entice you to stay.

If you dont accept that, they will phone you constantly during the 28 day notice period throwing offers at you begging you to stay.  Brings the cost down to something much more reasonable.

I don't think you'll get any Sky UK HD channels with the zgemma box.    Best thing you can do with that is to motorize your satellite dish... get 19e and 13e satellites and you'll pick up Sky Sports DE, IT, some Spanish channels and the Polish channels.   Loads of football on them :) 

On 2/13/2017 at 7:52 PM, OLAS said:

Paying ~€100 per year for HD IPTV.  

All UK,  European, North American, Arabic sports as well as the usual Sky package and all the top US channels. 

Recently realised I had an infrared blaster on my NAS so programmed my telly remote to control Kodi's PVR function.  

Also downloaded all the TV icons and have a great source for the TV guide.  All working amazingly well and looks the part. 

The IPTV zaps just as fast as satellite, which is impressive for FHD streams. https://www.sky-ukhd.com 

I used to pay around €40 for a larger package but the reliability and quality were shocking. Steer clear of Aliexpress for IPTV or satellite cardsharing codes. Always been poor for me. 

Still using the Nvidia Shield TV and nightly Kodi builds but can use the IPTV streams on the phone, Chromecast, laptop or computer at work if I wanted. 

Am i reading that HD IPTV can only be used on an Android OS ? 

https://www.full-hd-iptv.com/index.html

or you were referencing a different one ?

On 2/13/2017 at 8:59 AM, BlueGaz said:

If you go over 12 months being away from Sky, you will be classed as a new customer, so you will also get the other deals, which I think is a 32" TV or a samsung pad or something like that at the moment.  I was only away for 6 months so didnt get any of the extra stuff available unfortunately.  

Was in my notice period now so gave my 31 days notice yesterday. Lad on phone offered me something like 40% off for 10 months. Told him no thanks and go ahead and process cancellation. Logged into account tonight, 60% off for a year, job done for another 12 months.

Guest BlueGaz
9 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

Was in my notice period now so gave my 31 days notice yesterday. Lad on phone offered me something like 40% off for 10 months. Told him no thanks and go ahead and process cancellation. Logged into account tonight, 60% off for a year, job done for another 12 months.

:ok:

On 16/02/2017 at 9:03 AM, euan2020 said:

Am i reading that HD IPTV can only be used on an Android OS ? 

https://www.full-hd-iptv.com/index.html

or you were referencing a different one ?

It's an m3u / m3u8 file and can be used on any system that has the right software for it - which is almost every single modern operating system.    

It'll even work on a lot of Smart TVs. 

49 minutes ago, OLAS said:

It's an m3u / m3u8 file and can be used on any system that has the right software for it - which is almost every single modern operating system.    

It'll even work on a lot of Smart TVs. 

Roku ? (which i believe is what is insiide smart TV's )  = bought 1 of these last year  

Been swithering on getting one of these dodgy boxes/sticks for ages.

Finally bit the bullet and got an amazon fire stick to try it out.

First impression is that for live sport it's looking pretty useless, but probably do a job for films for the kids.

So far put on Kodi with exodus and Phoenix.

Any other suggestions, particularly for football and films?

Edited by sbcmfc