History makers - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

History makers

Just now, Reevesy said:

Not missing the point at all. You're implying that people are suggesting the current team are up there with the Lisbon lions, but nobody is. You just want to think they are so you can play down their achievement.

I gave Rangers a mention to show that having a financial advantage doesn't always guarantee you'll break records.

Carry on though, I'm enjoying the jealousy. 

wrong again, you're good at this. everytime this record is mentioned, the 67 team gets mentioned

jealousy? :lol::lol: 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

I take it this is based only on league games?  if So Rangers went 29 games unbeaten in the 92-93 season (Incidentally a run that started and ended against Celtic).

No. Domestic games from the start of the season.

4 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

wrong again, you're good at this. everytime this record is mentioned, the 67 team gets mentioned

jealousy? :lol::lol: 

It was the record held by the team of 67 so how would it be possible not to mention them when talking about it??

45 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

I take it this is based only on league games?  if So Rangers went 29 games unbeaten in the 92-93 season (Incidentally a run that started and ended against Celtic).

I think Rangers went 45 games unbeaten in all competitions in that run. 1 defeat in their first 50 matches that season.

It seems a bit of a manufactured celebration to me. I didn't know it was a thing until the last week or so.*

Suppose it gave some meaning to a couple of games for the fans.

*thats not to say it's not a decent achievement, as most teams have a blip somewhere.

31 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

To be fair some of the belters Rangers claimed..

Highest attendance in a 4th tier game, in Europe, on a Friday, shown on BBC Alba.

:lol: 

I remember their crowd "World Records". Those were happy times 

On 29/01/2017 at 8:16 PM, slasher said:

Magnificent achievement from Scotland's invinchibles! Loving the fact that the dick who wants his team to come 4th feels the need to pretend he doesn't know anything about it. ???

Hopefully the run can continue against the sheep on Wednesday, but all good things must come to an end sometime!

Magnificent? Not really. There's not a lot of serious competition, is there? 

It's still a good run, as consistency is hard to come by, but definitely not magnificent. 

Oh and it's spelt invincibles unless it's another weird Celtic misspelling, like bhoys? 

Celtic won 25 league games in a row under MON but we got beat in the cup by Hibs  during that.

no surprises seeing most folk poo hoo it but whatever the competition is, the fact celtic have won every single domestic game bar 1 (a draw away to ict of all teams) is a great achievement. 

Edited by wembley67lisbon

8 hours ago, wembley67lisbon said:

is a great achievement. 

It's not though. 

It's like me organising games of football where me and my mates play a team of 12 year olds. We'd win every single one but it's not a "great achievement" at all. 

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

It's not though. 

It's like me organising games of football where me and my mates play a team of 12 year olds. We'd win every single one but it's not a "great achievement" at all. 

What a ridiculous comparison.

Celtic aren't playing under 13 teams. They're playing fellow professionals of the same age group. Professionals who have been on the winning side against the vast majority of the current Celtic team in the recent past.

It's a shame you feel the need to talk down Scottish football like that.

12 minutes ago, Reevesy said:

Celtic aren't playing under 13 teams. They're playing fellow professionals of the same age group. Professionals who have been on the winning side against the vast majority of the current Celtic team in the recent past.

:lol: 

I think it's rather a decent achievement. To go unbeaten for 26 games, winning 25 of them (is that right?!) takes some effort no matter the extent of the monetary gulf.  What I would say is that it's hugely embarrassing for Scottish football.  There's no need to talk down our game at the moment, just look at the league.  Sutton, in response to the Chelsea bid for Gordon, said "Celtic don't actually need a keeper at the moment" - he's right.  

As much as we maybe weren't a significant threat in some folk’s eyes, Aberdeen's "title challenge" over the last two seasons was great to be part of and consumed most Aberdeen fans and more.  I took a real interest in Scottish fitba as a whole, games, results, ins and outs etc, etc. Appreciate that wasn't necessarily the case for anyone not in the "race".  That's gone though, our attendances have diminished and Scottish fitba is wearisome again.  This isn't Celtic's fault but surely something has to be done to make the league more competitive again and not just to accommodate a two horse race.  The must be dull as feck for Celtic fans too, albeit a decent achievement.

On 2/1/2017 at 11:29 AM, Reevesy said:

let me introduce you to rhetoric 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metaphor

On 01/02/2017 at 10:53 AM, SMcoolJ said:

I think it's rather a decent achievement. To go unbeaten for 26 games, winning 25 of them (is that right?!) takes some effort no matter the extent of the monetary gulf.  What I would say is that it's hugely embarrassing for Scottish football.  There's no need to talk down our game at the moment, just look at the league.  Sutton, in response to the Chelsea bid for Gordon, said "Celtic don't actually need a keeper at the moment" - he's right.  

As much as we maybe weren't a significant threat in some folk’s eyes, Aberdeen's "title challenge" over the last two seasons was great to be part of and consumed most Aberdeen fans and more.  I took a real interest in Scottish fitba as a whole, games, results, ins and outs etc, etc. Appreciate that wasn't necessarily the case for anyone not in the "race".  That's gone though, our attendances have diminished and Scottish fitba is wearisome again.  This isn't Celtic's fault but surely something has to be done to make the league more competitive again and not just to accommodate a two horse race.  The must be dull as feck for Celtic fans too, albeit a decent achievement.

Fine post min 

3 hours ago, Flure said:

It was the Swedish philosopher, Henrik Larsson, who said, "The longer a run goes on, the closer you are to the end of it".

He did, you know.

Much as I love all things Henrik...His book must be the most boring thing that I've ever read. ?