English FA Cup - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

English FA Cup

Despite the usual English media banging on about it being the "greatest cup competition i the world" just like the Premier League is th egreatest league in the world - its become a load of pish with virtually all teams in the top 2 divisions makig wholesale changes - even some lower league teams doing it as well. This competitio going down the pan. 

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Alan said:

So watch the Scottish Cup then.

Don't get to see it when down in Englandshire - but I'll definitely be watching it next year if Kirkintilloch Rob Roy either win the Junior Cup or the league and qualify for it. Despite your sarcasm - I drove up for  Junior Cup match this weekend only for it to be postponed.

No one in Scotland describes the Scottish Cup as the best in the world and neither is the English one. In fact the Junior Cup may well be one of the best - certainly in my opinion.  

3 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

Don't knock it...we've just got to the 5th round for the first time since they ran on the pitch to brass band music and an Old Etonian commentator, & we've got Man City at home.

I like it.

This year anyway.

That could be Yorkshire any year. ?

I get the impression that the big clubs now treat it like the League Cup, and put out reserve sides. 

I feel a bit sorry for fans of clubs like Newcastle and Leeds, who spend good money watching their clubs rip the piss out of them.

Sutton fans probably ain't complaining.

All comes down to money now eh. Something like 3.4 million for winning it or getting to the final. Nothing compared to promotion to the EPL (or staying in it) 

Fans of middle of the road teams must be pulling their hair out at it all. Watford resting players ffs. 

18 hours ago, irnbruman said:

Despite the usual English media banging on about it being the "greatest cup competition i the world" just like the Premier League is th egreatest league in the world - its become a load of pish with virtually all teams in the top 2 divisions makig wholesale changes - even some lower league teams doing it as well. This competitio going down the pan. 

City have went pretty much full strength in both rounds so far this year.

19 minutes ago, Glasgowmancity said:

Let's hope they are knackered for tomorrow then. We will be OK as we didn't put a team out at all. :P

20 minutes ago, Glasgowmancity said:

Yeap.

Saying all that about 'big' teams playing weakened teams and getting knocked out, there's a good chance that the quarter finals will be all Premier League teams, and that Spurs, Arsenal, Man United, Man City and Chelsea will still be there. Not so surprising then.

18 hours ago, Rossy said:

I get the impression that the big clubs now treat it like the League Cup, and put out reserve sides. 

I feel a bit sorry for fans of clubs like Newcastle and Leeds, who spend good money watching their clubs rip the piss out of them.

1 hour ago, Glasgowmancity said:

a club that clearly retains an ethos that your average woking class man can relate to. 

On 30/01/2017 at 8:35 PM, Huddersfield said:

Don't knock it...we've just got to the 5th round for the first time since they ran on the pitch to brass band music and an Old Etonian commentator, & we've got Man City at home.

I like it.

This year anyway.

And good luck to you guys :ok:

Really hope you chaps get promotion. Always good to see the return to the top flight of a team who've been out of it for a while. And Huddersfield Town are a club with genuine supporters who have followed their club through thin and even thinner over the years. 

I imagine the fans of the London teams and all those Home Counties based Man Utd and Liverpool fans will be delighted at the prospect of trip to a gritty old town like Huddersfield :-))

Guest BlueGaz
3 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Always good to see the return to the top flight of a team who've been out of it for a while.

Why, thank you  Didn't expect that from you, but I always knew ;)

21 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

And good luck to you guys :ok:

Really hope you chaps get promotion. Always good to see the return to the top flight of a team who've been out of it for a while. And Huddersfield Town are a club with genuine supporters who have followed their club through thin and even thinner over the years. 

I imagine the fans of the London teams and all those Home Counties based Man Utd and Liverpool fans will be delighted at the prospect of trip to a gritty old town like Huddersfield :-))

Cheers mate - even after last night I'm still struggling to believe we can get promoted but even if it was only for 1 season I'd love it.

I can picture now all the old characters I grew up with on the terraces in the 4th division endlessly complaining about the price of pies at Arsenal, how you can't get parked these days thanks to all these johnny-come-lately newbies and how they miss Torquay away on a Tuesday night...

2 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

Cheers mate - even after last night I'm still struggling to believe we can get promoted but even if it was only for 1 season I'd love it.

I can picture now all the old characters I grew up with on the terraces in the 4th division endlessly complaining about the price of pies at Arsenal, how you can't get parked these days thanks to all these johnny-come-lately newbies and how they miss Torquay away on a Tuesday night...

Big game for both this weekend eh?

I keep saying you'll go into free fall but I have changed my mind. Bit of pace in your side and your gaffer seems the real deal. Interesting times for both you and Leeds.

Changed days from Lee bloody Clark. 

2 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

That's exactly the type of conversation you still get at City :lol: 

3 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

Quick look at the table shows that all 4 play off places could be filled by a Yorkshire club.

That would be interesting!

4 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

Bring on Sunday when you play Leeds!!, looking forward to it, my mate is a town fan so be watching game with him, but got to be honest after seeing you play so well against Brighton last night I think Huddersfield are favs especially being a home.  Going to be a hard game, booked up to go to leeds Newcastle game in April, that be my next game can make

12 hours ago, macy37 said:

Big game for both this weekend eh?

I keep saying you'll go into free fall but I have changed my mind. Bit of pace in your side and your gaffer seems the real deal. Interesting times for both you and Leeds.

Changed days from Lee bloody Clark. 

9 hours ago, Geed said:

Bring on Sunday when you play Leeds!!, looking forward to it, my mate is a town fan so be watching game with him, but got to be honest after seeing you play so well against Brighton last night I think Huddersfield are favs especially being a home.  Going to be a hard game, booked up to go to leeds Newcastle game in April, that be my next game can make

I'll be honest I'm nervous as hell about Sunday. I hate games against Leeds at the best of times but with so much riding on it, along with the usual 1970s retro atmosphere the game generates, it's going to be a stressful afternoon. I think fitness will be key. We've won a lot of games this season through fitness levels but Leeds have had an extra recovery day over us, so that may negate it.