English FA Cup - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

English FA Cup

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

Was watching the build up to the Leicester v Derby replay. 10 & 8 changes to their respective line ups from the weekend.

Good chance to get a run with league 1 Millwall up next for the winner.

Modern football....

Liked Lineker's line at the end of the 90, "the managers will be concerned with extra time now happening , many of these players will have to play again in 3 or 4 weeks".

:-)) 

On Monday, January 30, 2017 at 8:33 PM, irnbruman said:

Don't get to see it when down in Englandshire - but I'll definitely be watching it next year if Kirkintilloch Rob Roy either win the Junior Cup or the league and qualify for it. Despite your sarcasm - I drove up for  Junior Cup match this weekend only for it to be postponed.

No one in Scotland describes the Scottish Cup as the best in the world and neither is the English one. In fact the Junior Cup may well be one of the best - certainly in my opinion.  

You can get Scottish Cup on BBC Scotland via digital including highlights and also Sky.  Plenty of options.

The Junior Cup is entertaining for atmosphere and sheer brutal violence.  Limited skill is allowed to be shown with punters egging on players to "get stuck in" and not to "shite it".

17 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

Was watching the build up to the Leicester v Derby replay. 10 & 8 changes to their respective line ups from the weekend.

Good chance to get a run with league 1 Millwall up next for the winner.

Modern football....

The fans still enjoy it though. Dont know how it came across on the TV but the atmosphere was far better than a usual championship / premier league game. 29k was a decent crowd, but having the tickets at £10 helped. 

Massive Police presence all over the game, never seen so much at a train station all kitted out with riot gear with dogs / horses. 

Anya did his usual of looking threatening but producing not much, Russell has completely lost form. 

2 hours ago, Dairbee said:

The fans still enjoy it though. Dont know how it came across on the TV but the atmosphere was far better than a usual championship / premier league game. 29k was a decent crowd, but having the tickets at £10 helped. 

Massive Police presence all over the game, never seen so much at a train station all kitted out with riot gear with dogs / horses. 

Anya did his usual of looking threatening but producing not much, Russell has completely lost form. 

The atmosphere did seem decent, and fair play to the clubs on the pricing.

Just a bit sad that the managers/clubs didn't share the enthusiasm of the fans and treated it as an inconvenience.

If you think you saw a lot of police last night, go to the next round! :lol:

We went to the Millwall game after Wembley and the police presence at South Bermondsey station was like nothing I've seen at a football match, certainly not one with an attendance of 9000.

B

4 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Just a bit sad that the managers/clubs didn't share the enthusiasm of the fans and treated it as an inconvenience.

We went to the Millwall game after Wembley and the police presence at South Bermondsey station was like nothing I've seen at a football match, certainly not one with an attendance of 9000.

Aye, I was looking forward to a trip to Millwall, but it will have to wait for another year. Mclaren's team selection put paid to that. 

Unfortunately Nick Blackman is looking like the Aberdeen version and not the Motherwell one. 

24 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I remember going to a MIllwall Portsmouth game at the old Den, that was "interestin" and the  police seemed surprised that a neutral would want to go near the game.

41 minutes ago, Dairbee said:

B

Aye, I was looking forward to a trip to Millwall, but it will have to wait for another year. Mclaren's team selection put paid to that. 

Unfortunately Nick Blackman is looking like the Aberdeen version and not the Motherwell one. 

Ah, the username makes sense now.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Toepoke said:

QPR the last non-league team to get that far over a century ago!

Firstly as a Lincoln City fan for over 40 years, an amazing privilege to be at Turf Moor today and witness quite possibly the greatest result in my club's 133 year history. 

Secondly, yes it seems QPR last non-lge team into FA Cup quarter finals but there were only two smaller divisions of the Football League then, Third Division etc not even thought of. So non-league then not the same as now. Has a club currently outside the top 92 made it this far? I suspect not!! History making result in every sense.

But i would also as a little aside say the adjective "non-league" has traditionally referred to semi pro or amateur clubs. Lincoln City are neither of those. Always a full time club and i would prefer description instead of non-league to be simply "not in the league"...hopefully that current temporary status is soon to be rectified as we return to the Football League for next season all being well.

7 minutes ago, buckielugger said:

Firstly as a Lincoln City fan for over 40 years, an amazing privilege to be at Turf Moor today and witness quite possibly the greatest result in my club's 133 year history. 

Secondly, yes it seems QPR last non-lge team into FA Cup quarter finals but there were only two smaller divisions of the Football League then, Third Division etc not even thought of. So non-league then not the same as now. Has a club currently outside the top 92 made it this far? I suspect not!! History making result in every sense.

But i would also as a little aside say the adjective "non-league" has traditionally referred to semi pro or amateur clubs. Lincoln City are neither of those. Always a full time club and i would prefer description instead of non-league to be simply "not in the league"...hopefully that current temporary status is soon to be rectified as we return to the Football League for next season all being well.

I have to admit until their recent cup run I didn't realise Lincoln were no longer a league club.

Must've been a great occasion to be at, love it when long suffering fans get to experience something like that, hope you get to Wembley :ok:

Edited by Toepoke

38 minutes ago, buckielugger said:

:ok: