Midweek fitba - Page 5 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Midweek fitba

6 hours ago, BlueGaz said:

Agree our best team can perform, and when they do they look good, but they don't do it near often enough.  But squad? He has not built a good enough squad this year, or more specifically, he could have built a better squad this year.  he has had time and a bit of money.

Our 4 biggest signings have either been injured or mentally unstable. 

Garner hasn't had long enough and now he's injured, Barton turned back time to bampot land, Krancjar was starting to perform and got injured and Rossiter has turned out to be the invisible man. 

• Replies 834
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

Rangers won and played well at Easter road and the reporter (Chris McLaughlin) focussed on the sectarian singing from the Rangers supporters in his match report rather than the performance.

Was there not something about him tweeting information from the match delegate that was wrong? Subsequently came out that that match delegate was once head security for Celtic. Remember thinking it was more unfortunate than anything else at the time. Dont think it was anything major anyway.

4 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

Rangers won and played well at Easter road and the reporter (Chris McLaughlin) focussed on the sectarian singing from the Rangers supporters in his match report rather than the performance.

Rangers banned him, and BBC won't send anyone if he's banned.

There was previous too, they did a documentary on whyte etc. and had a clip of mccoist laughing in a report about sectarianism which they took offence to.

Its murder though listening to Stevie Thompson reporting on the game from a caravan in the car park.

:lol:

The McCoist laughing footage was particularly poor on the BBC's part and they apologised for it.

The likes of Tom English and Graeme Spiers were (and typically are) particularly vocal against Warburton and, with no right of reply, they can say what they like without rebuttal, however right, wrong or indifferent it may be. I don't think that is particularly fair.

It also pisses me off that my licence fee payments contribute to a broadcaster that refuses to cover my team's matches, regardless of how valid their reasons may or may not be.

Guest BlueGaz
4 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Our 4 biggest signings have either been injured or mentally unstable. 

Garner hasn't had long enough and now he's injured, Barton turned back time to bampot land, Krancjar was starting to perform and got injured and Rossiter has turned out to be the invisible man. 

Exactly.  Garner had plenty of time and scored 3 goals.

The manager brought in barton, who has a history, krancjar, who has a history, rossiter, who has a history.  So how has be built a good squad?  If we can play our strongest 11, we are competitive, if we cant, we scrap for points with everyone else around 2/3/4th.  not by any means got a good squad and there is no excuse, unless it is turned around.

Krancjar wasnt starting to turn it around - he is ok with no pressure and plenty of time to play the ball, granted, but how often do you get that luxury in this league?

Edited by BlueGaz

10 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

Rangers banned him, and BBC won't send anyone if he's banned.

There was previous too, they did a documentary on whyte etc. and had a clip of mccoist laughing in a report about sectarianism which they took offence to.

Its murder though listening to Stevie Thompson reporting on the game from a caravan in the car park.

:lol:

Just to be pedantic he wasn't banned.  His press privileges were revoked. He is free to attend any game he wants to buy a ticket for but he isn't allowed the access granted to journos. 

Personally I couldn't care less if they don't cover our games or not. Their commentary is normally piss poor anyway.  We're not missing anything. 

27 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Just to be pedantic he wasn't banned.  His press privileges were revoked. He is free to attend any game he wants to buy a ticket for but he isn't allowed the access granted to journos. 

Personally I couldn't care less if they don't cover our games or not. Their commentary is normally piss poor anyway.  We're not missing anything. 

I pish my drawers at both of the ugly Sisters thinking the media has been unfair on them. It's so bloody pathetic with the shite all the other clubs in Scotland put up with over the last century.

29 minutes ago, Stu101 said:

I think just press privileges for McLaughlin withdrawn, but could be wrong.

That's how I understood it, so effectively a BBC boycott rather than a Rangers ban (or revocation of press privileges :P ) other than Chris McLaughlin)

41 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

That's how I understood it, so effectively a BBC boycott rather than a Rangers ban (or revocation of press privileges :P ) other than Chris McLaughlin)

Exactly. It's pretty pathetic on the BBCs part as they've taken the huff because they've been criticised. 

Not particularly impressive by Rangers either. 

Like 2 kids fighting in the school playground. 

54 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

And that's what annoys me. The BBC are funded by the public so if they choose not to broadcast my team's matches, I should similarly be entitled to withdraw my licence fee payments, or a proportion thereof. But of course it doesn't work like that.

1 hour ago, thewolf_1980 said:

And that's what annoys me. The BBC are funded by the public so if they choose not to broadcast my team's matches, I should similarly be entitled to withdraw my licence fee payments, or a proportion thereof. But of course it doesn't work like that.

It isn't as easy as that. Why should any media outlet allow a club or any other organisation to dictate which journalist covers their activities? Surely that's the start of a very slippery slope which can only end in clubs allowing pet reporters who only publish the party line?

the BBC are quite right in the stance they've taken.

3 hours ago, wee-toon-red said:

It isn't as easy as that. Why should any media outlet allow a club or any other organisation to dictate which journalist covers their activities? Surely that's the start of a very slippery slope which can only end in clubs allowing pet reporters who only publish the party line?

the BBC are quite right in the stance they've taken.

Rangers are not dictating anything. They've just told one journo he's not on the vip list anymore. 

The guy can buy a ticket and report on the game if he wants. 

The BBC are acting like big weans. Your twisted view above bears absolutely no relation to reality. 

1 hour ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Rangers are not dictating anything. They've just told one journo he's not on the vip list anymore. 

The guy can buy a ticket and report on the game if he wants. 

The BBC are acting like big weans. Your twisted view above bears absolutely no relation to reality. 

That's a pile of nonsense. Rangers and every other club benefit from the publicity they get from all media outlets - that's why sponsors pay money to have their name and logos everywhere - so why should they demand any journo buys a ticket because they don't like what he publishes? The David Murray succulent lamb days are gone I'm afraid.

2 hours ago, wee-toon-red said:

That's a pile of nonsense. Rangers and every other club benefit from the publicity they get from all media outlets - that's why sponsors pay money to have their name and logos everywhere - so why should they demand any journo buys a ticket because they don't like what he publishes? The David Murray succulent lamb days are gone I'm afraid.

It might not be the succulent lamb days, but Keith Jackson and the Record have effectively been acting as a Rangers PR machine in recent months. The peak being reached of course with a totally fabricated story about RB Leipzig preparing a 6 million bid for Mckay. 

Edited by Mox

1 hour ago, Mox said:

It might not be the succulent lamb days, but Keith Jackson and the Record have effectively been acting as a Rangers PR machine in recent months. The peak being reached of course with a totally fabricated story about RB Leipzig preparing a 6 million bid for Mckay. 

Remember that the famous 'wealth off the radar/Motherwell billionaire' stuff was over 5 years ago.

19 hours ago, wee-toon-red said:

You keep repeating the same incorrect spin and it doesn't make it accurate. 

The Beeb can send any reporter they want to the game and they'll be included with all the other journos, except Chris McLaughlin. He would have to buy a ticket as he's not regarded as a fair reporter by Rangers. 

The Beeb don't advertise anything and their radio coverage being missing will mean hee-haw to any advertisers. 

I don't agree with the way Rangers are handling it but the BBCs over reaction is laughable. They're trying to claim they're a fair bunch yet during the Indyref I'm pretty sure the vast majority of people on here claimed the exact opposite. And they're behaviour continues to show them up. To claim otherwise is stupid. 

17 hours ago, Mox said:

Aye,  because they don't serve the same purpose for Celtic. £40m for Dembele anyone? ?

2 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

The Beeb can send any reporter they want to the game and they'll be included with all the other journos, except Chris McLaughlin. He would have to buy a ticket as he's not regarded as a fair reporter by Rangers. 

The Beeb don't advertise anything and their radio coverage being missing will mean hee-haw to any advertisers. 

I don't agree with the way Rangers are handling it but the BBCs over reaction is laughable. They're trying to claim they're a fair bunch yet during the Indyref I'm pretty sure the vast majority of people on here claimed the exact opposite. And they're behaviour continues to show them up. To claim otherwise is stupid. 

If they interview Warburton, he's standing in front of a big board advertising Sports Direct, 32 red, Puma etc.

I think they should both work to resolve it, but by removing Chris Mclaughlins press privilege, they are setting a precedent they can ban anyone that says something they don't like.

(incidentally, is the sectarian singing from the away support getting worse? Appears they sing what they like, but then nobody can call them out on it, or they'll have their press privileges removed, and the SFA/SPFL have proven completely toothless on the issue and quite happy to look the other way.)

12 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

(incidentally, is the sectarian singing from the away support getting worse? Appears they sing what they like, but then nobody can call them out on it, or they'll have their press privileges removed, and the SFA/SPFL have proven completely toothless on the issue and quite happy to look the other way.)

Not sure if it's getting worse but I do tend to hear about it when it does happen, however there is very little, if any, coverage of the definite improvements that have occurred since the 1990s. It's perhaps another example of folk making a point of complaining when they have something to complain about but choosing to keep schtum instead of giving praise. Not that praise is necessarily merited, of course, but I could perhaps see why it would exacerbate annoyance when they do receive criticism.

Edited by thewolf_1980