Week of Football - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Week of Football

LADTA-CM

Wondering what people's thoughts are on the above?

Absolutely killing the home support. We've bought just 35 tickets for a home qualifier. That's a 50% drop since before this ridiculous idea was introduced.

Are other clubs/groups seeing the same effect? Gone are the occasions and in their place mad dashes after work and back to get up the next day on a school night.

It's shite for the people who actually go to football and good for people who just watch it on TV. Much the same as club football.

Is it to continue next year with the UEFA nations league starting up?

While we don't buy tickets as one group we do still fill a coach and minibus for each match. occasionally it's two coaches, certainly for weekend matches.

While it's definitely better playing home matches on a Saturday, weekend internationals when I started going were more or less limited to the end of season home internationals. All qualifiers back then were pretty much midweek.

unfortunately the current position is unlikely to change while there's TV cash getting splashed around. If the team were doing well then it'd be a different matter. You only have to look at NI and Wales to evidence the upturn in their attendances. 

There are fans that support their team no matter and there are some that only attend the "big" games or when the team are playing well but that's alway been the case at all levels of football. And it's up to the individual which I totally get. You only have to look at the boycott thread on here. Nobody has enjoyed recent results/matches but there's a view that a boycott would be further counter productive.

What I mean by that is if a boycott gets rid of the manager what happens when the next imcumbent(s) hit a similar sequence of results? Up to the individual. I never went to the last friendly against England at Celtic Park due to ticket price but that's my personal decision.

It's only in recent years international qualifiers were played at weekends (12/15 years ago?) People seem to forget that. 

There was no complaining about midweeks fixtures all through the 60s/70s/80s/90s when we were filling Hampden with attendances double of what we do now. 

Edited by McTeeko

28 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

It's only in recent years international qualifiers were played at weekends (12/15 years ago?) People seem to forget that. 

There was no complaining about midweeks fixtures all through the 60s/70s/80s/90s when we were filling Hampden with attendances double of what we do now. 

True, when I started going to Scotland games it was always Wednesday nights.

I certainly prefer the Saturday 1500 or 1700 kick off.

Sunday nights in particular are a massive pain with public transport not being at full strength.

I absolutely despise it!!  Simply a FIFA/UEFA method of squeezing as much cash out TV companies as possible regardless of how it affects match going fans.

Games on a Sunday night especially are an absolute shocker.  If i was still even remotely interested in going to the Slovenia match I'd have to drive as the last train home on a Sunday is 8:50

16 hours ago, McTeeko said:

WC 98 campaign was when it started, but everyone seems to recall fondly the one campaign where we got lucky and every game was 3pm on a Saturday....any time we got a mid week qualifier the attendances dropped.

Personally I did not mind the week of football at first (I thought it would effect more than it really has) but have come to dislike it recently.

Can see why the FA's like it..... as many live games as possible, with all the money going into one pot to be distributed to the FA's, rather than trying to get tv deals here and there.

In the eyes of UEFA they will view it as a success, and unfortunatly it is here to stay I feel.

8 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

How pished were you? It kicked off at 7:45 ;)

He was probably half way home by kick off time so, maybe not so daft after all. Probably thinks the game finished 0-0 though, and the atmosphere was really, really pish. Pies were cauld anaw.