TV That Makes You Think - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

TV That Makes You Think

"TV that makes you think" ?

A fat, angry Dundonian screaming "think ! think ya ! think ! fücking think !" surely will make you think.

On a serious note, it was slightly before my time but I've enjoyed watching episodes of "After Dark" on YouTube. Incredible straight talking on controversial subjects and some very important and powerful guests featured too. I imagine that in today's much more tightly controlled world of control freak press agents and libel lawyers we are unlikely ever to see this kind of program on air again.

1 minute ago, Larky Masher said:

I agree with what he writes but what's your point?

The point was to point out that there was probably no point in you starting a new topic on the point of Hypernormalisation, as the topic has already been discussed, and all you needed to do was point your mouse on the search box, click mouse, enter 'Hypernormalisation', then use point your pointer to the magnifying glass, which is pointed out to you by use of an icon in the shape of a magnifying glass, then click your mouse button - ensuring your pointer remains over the icon during the point of pressing the button.

The search will return a list of pointers to previous threads on Hypernormalisation. Once again used your mouse pointer to select a link.

So the point of the point is to demonstrated that Eddards had already pointed us all towards the show.

I hope that points you to my point - do you get my point?

1 minute ago, Brummie Hibs said:

The point was to point out that there was probably no point in you starting a new topic on the point of Hypernormalisation, as the topic has already been discussed, and all you needed to do was point your mouse on the search box, click mouse, enter 'Hypernormalisation', then use point your pointer to the magnifying glass, which is pointed out to you by use of an icon in the shape of a magnifying glass, then click your mouse button - ensuring your pointer remains over the icon during the point of pressing the button.

The search will return a list of pointers to previous threads on Hypernormalisation. Once again used your mouse pointer to select a link.

So the point of the point is to demonstrated that Eddards had already pointed us all towards the show.

I hope that points you to my point - do you get my point?

Your point is you're pointless?

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe not the right thread for this but i watched Ross Kemp: Libya's Migrant Hell the other night. Yes, it's Ross Kemp and his brand of non-subtle, brash, man on the street style of reporting but it's still well worth watching. 

I wasn't aware of the shear scale of what was happening in Libya until watching this. Thousands of migrants and refugees (they're not all "migrants" like the media would like to portray) being shipped to Libya by smugglers, employed as slave labour for many months to "pay" for their travel through the country and then shoved in to rubber dinghies, 125 at a time, and sent from the beach in Tripoli to travel the 200 odd miles to Italy, which their boat has no hope of doing. 

The most staggering thing to me was the treatment of these people if they were stopped in Libya or in Libyan waters. Their shoved in detention centres that seem to consist of a single large hall with a couple of toilets off the side of it. They're given basic rations that are not enough to sustain them, no access to medicine and seem to be being held indefinitely. 

Aid agencies can't work in the country as it's so unsafe, so these people are essentially left to rot in these detention centres. Libya has no true government, but several different groups claiming to be the government. Meanwhile warring tribes/factions control different parts of the country using weaponry. 

The West destabilised the country when we assisted the overthrowing of Colonel Gaddafi, yet now the world has completely abandoned the people of Libya, much like the UK has abandoned the people it has helped to displace in Syria/Iraq/Afghanistan/etc 

If one was a conspiracy theorist, you may think that the displacement of refugees which flood Europe, fuelling the rise in right wing politics and beliefs, coupled with terrorism, which leads to border controls coming back, to the breakup of Europe, divisions returning and ultimately leading to a war in Europe and then the rest of the war, as all deliberate and planned.

If you not a conspiracy theorist, you just see it as a political f*ckup and a human tragedy.

On 24/02/2017 at 0:40 PM, Parklife said:

Maybe not the right thread for this but i watched Ross Kemp: Libya's Migrant Hell the other night. Yes, it's Ross Kemp and his brand of non-subtle, brash, man on the street style of reporting but it's still well worth watching. 

I wasn't aware of the shear scale of what was happening in Libya until watching this. Thousands of migrants and refugees (they're not all "migrants" like the media would like to portray) being shipped to Libya by smugglers, employed as slave labour for many months to "pay" for their travel through the country and then shoved in to rubber dinghies, 125 at a time, and sent from the beach in Tripoli to travel the 200 odd miles to Italy, which their boat has no hope of doing. 

The most staggering thing to me was the treatment of these people if they were stopped in Libya or in Libyan waters. Their shoved in detention centres that seem to consist of a single large hall with a couple of toilets off the side of it. They're given basic rations that are not enough to sustain them, no access to medicine and seem to be being held indefinitely. 

Aid agencies can't work in the country as it's so unsafe, so these people are essentially left to rot in these detention centres. Libya has no true government, but several different groups claiming to be the government. Meanwhile warring tribes/factions control different parts of the country using weaponry. 

The West destabilised the country when we assisted the overthrowing of Colonel Gaddafi, yet now the world has completely abandoned the people of Libya, much like the UK has abandoned the people it has helped to displace in Syria/Iraq/Afghanistan/etc 

Will need to give it a watch. What channel had that?