Madrid - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Madrid

joecraigfanclub

The one place I'd make a point of going to is La Venencia. It's an old school sherry bar, so wouldn't necessarily be top of everyone's list, but it is an absolute gem of a place.

As mentioned above, the Mercado de San Miguel is class. The Mercado San Anton is really cool too and, from memory, has a rooftop bar.

Was there a few weeks back.

Mercado de San Miguel and Chocolateria San Gines are both fairly well known and touristy however I will still recommend both.

Los Montes de Galicia was lovely as was a Taberna which name I cannot remember which I know is no help (there were two of them with the same name round the corner from each other and was in the hipster area)

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone been to Madrid over Easter? Obviously Easter is quite a big deal in Spain, so just wondering if many restaurants/bars/shops/etc will be shut over the Easter weekend? 

I'm going across that weekend to see Atletico (want to get to the Calderon before they move) and also hoping to fit in Leganes vs Espanyol and Alcorcon vs Getafe (fixture schedule dependent). 

Madrid like a lot of Spain is not to be missed at Easter. Was there once in 1981 and the street processions have to be seen to be believed with the guys in purple klu klux klan type get ups parading through the streets carrying coffins. As if that's not weird enough you then notice their legs are manacled together. Very very odd.

I was in the Malaga Il Corte Ingles, main department store, last year and they were selling the outfits but trying to ,ake it clear they weren't for the klu klux klan. Should be good

47 minutes ago, joecraigfanclub said:

Madrid like a lot of Spain is not to be missed at Easter. Was there once in 1981 and the street processions have to be seen to be believed with the guys in purple klu klux klan type get ups parading through the streets carrying coffins. As if that's not weird enough you then notice their legs are manacled together. Very very odd.

I was in the Malaga Il Corte Ingles, main department store, last year and they were selling the outfits but trying to ,ake it clear they weren't for the klu klux klan. Should be good

Thanks for that, it sounds, errm, interesting! :lol: 

Do you know if many restaurants/ shops/ pubs close for the weekend? 

21 hours ago, Parklife said:

Thanks for that, it sounds, errm, interesting! :lol: 

Do you know if many restaurants/ shops/ pubs close for the weekend? 

I think you should be ok for bars and restaurants. As for shops I don't know if they would open on a Sunday anyway. The one time you don't want to go is new year. Places close en masse so they can get home to celebrate with their families. Have done two new years in Spain and never again.

25 minutes ago, joecraigfanclub said:

I think you should be ok for bars and restaurants. As for shops I don't know if they would open on a Sunday anyway. The one time you don't want to go is new year. Places close en masse so they can get home to celebrate with their families. Have done two new years in Spain and never again.

Thanks for that :ok: 

We're hoping to get to the Atletico vs Osasuna, Leganes vs Espanyol and Alcorcon vs Getafe games, schedule permitting. So won't have time for much else anyway! :lol: 

1 minute ago, joecraigfanclub said:

Am going to Atletico on Sunday at short notice and found tickets together quite hard to get. Thats for two as well. Will let you know of any decent bars we stumble across

Yeah, i read an article in Marca the other week that they are expecting every game between now and the end of the season to be close to a sell out, due to them leaving the Calderon at the end of the season (which is the reason we are going). 

We bought our tickets for the Osasuna game last week and it was already very well sold. 

Enjoy your trip. 

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone been to a game at either Leganes or Alcorcon? We're looking to go to both team's home games on Easter Sunday. (Leganes 12pm Ko & Alcorcon 4pm). 

They appear pretty close to each other (4 stops on the subway), so i assume it's easy enough to get to/from each other? Anyone any tips for going to either of those grounds?