Mark Warburton - Resigned - Page 5 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Mark Warburton - Resigned

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Stan Collymore certainly had a lot fun on twitter last night discussing that with "ra peepul".

Yes but he beats up women therefore his opinion isn't worth a shite. Looks like Forest could have been doing with him yesterday anyway. Horsed.

Typical hyperbole by the frankly rubbish Chris McLaughlin who got rolled out for a 2 minute cameo on Sportscene last night despite not bringing anything new to the party whatsoever. It's not a "mess" as he put it, it's merely a parting of ways which maybe needs to be sorted out via a tribunal. I'm not underplaying the significance of what has gone on but in the long list of "messes" that we have been involved in, this barely registers.

To slightly contradict my statement above though, I suspect Rangers will need to make a payment in lieu of notice or agree a settlement of some kind because, from what I can surmise, no formal resignation has been received so I can only assume that, instead, they may argue that the prior discussions about them seeking to leave and the alleged discussions with Nottingham Forest (which they probably can't prove) are in breach of their contracts. My prediction? A 'half-way house' settlement agreement including a confidentiality clause will be agreed via a tribunal. In the absence of a resignation letter, presumably paperwork exists as a record of the recent severance discussions, hence RFC's stance.

In that respect, it is messy.

King's statement raises a couple of questions.

1. If Warburton's agent met Rangers on Monday 6th Feb and resigned and this was accepted with employment "immediately terminated", why was he taking training later in the week and why were Rangers putting comments from Warburton on the website on Wednesday 8th Feb?

2. What have they spent £18m on? Lotto tickets? Royalties for Glad All Over?

9 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

King's statement raises a couple of questions.

1. If Warburton's agent met Rangers on Monday 6th Feb and resigned and this was accepted with employment "immediately terminated", why was he taking training later in the week and why were Rangers putting comments from Warburton on the website on Wednesday 8th Feb?

2. What have they spent £18m on? Lotto tickets? Royalties for Glad All Over?

1. The meeting with the agent was on Monday but the board meeting to decide was later in the week (I think Wednesday, at which time the agent apparently returned with a revised offer). I agree that there is still a day or two of a lag which King puts down to arranging the admin and press releases confirming the departure, which sounds like an overly long time given the importance of it.

2. A lot of the spend to date (some of which being the fabled 'soft loans') was on the player budget, including wages, and others on improvements to the stadium and Auchenhowie infrastructure and cash for working capital generally, to offset the lack of income from merchandising and the like, increased staffing including implementation of the living wage and various other odds and sods to cover ongoing losses, all covered generally in the annual accounts. No doubt a few quid on legal expenses too......

1 hour ago, thewolf_1980 said:

1. The meeting with the agent was on Monday but the board meeting to decide was later in the week (I think Wednesday, at which time the agent apparently returned with a revised offer). I agree that there is still a day or two of a lag which King puts down to arranging the admin and press releases confirming the departure, which sounds like an overly long time given the importance of it.

2. A lot of the spend to date (some of which being the fabled 'soft loans') was on the player budget, including wages, and others on improvements to the stadium and Auchenhowie infrastructure and cash for working capital generally, to offset the lack of income from merchandising and the like, increased staffing including implementation of the living wage and various other odds and sods to cover ongoing losses, all covered generally in the annual accounts. No doubt a few quid on legal expenses too......

Yep, fair point on 1. I had read it firstly that they offered to resign and the board discussed and accepted, thinking it all happened at the same time. But there must have been a gap but agree that it seemed to take a couple of days and given the importance that's a bit odd. 

On 2., King himself says they would spend £30m to get promotion, try and secure 2nd in first season back and get European football, then challenge for title in 3rd season. He states the £30m will be spent achieving this, not improving stadium or training or paying live wage. I get your point about the "non footballing" costs but he doesn't seem to suggest any of the £18m has been spent on non-football, if that is the case I'm still wondering how he has spent that on transfer fees and wages, seems a hell of a lot.  

2 hours ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

Yep, fair point on 1. I had read it firstly that they offered to resign and the board discussed and accepted, thinking it all happened at the same time. But there must have been a gap but agree that it seemed to take a couple of days and given the importance that's a bit odd. 

On 2., King himself says they would spend £30m to get promotion, try and secure 2nd in first season back and get European football, then challenge for title in 3rd season. He states the £30m will be spent achieving this, not improving stadium or training or paying live wage. I get your point about the "non footballing" costs but he doesn't seem to suggest any of the £18m has been spent on non-football, if that is the case I'm still wondering how he has spent that on transfer fees and wages, seems a hell of a lot.  

King did not say the 30m was for players or even playing budget. The idiots in the press interpreted it that way.  I'd suggest you listen to the actual interview and it will become clear. 

2 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

King did not say the 30m was for players or even playing budget. The idiots in the press interpreted it that way.  I'd suggest you listen to the actual interview and it will become clear. 

I suggest you read King's statement on Rangers website from yesterday. 

He says they had/have 3 objectives over 3 seasons and he says it will, or rather it would at first estimate, cost £30m to achieve. Nowhere in his 3 season objectives does he say anything about Ibrox, Auchenhowie, living wage or any other subject outside the improving of the football team.

It's not really open to interpretation by the idiots in the press or any other idiots for that matter. He planned to spend £30m on improving the first team squad. He now says to be where they want to be at end of next season he will have to spend more than £30m.

2 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

For the avoidance of doubt, I repeat the key elements;

1. We would invest sufficient resources to ensure immediate promotion to the Premiership.
  2. In season two we would further invest to be competitive in the Premiership and qualify for Europe at the end of the season. Our realistic expectation was to come second. This was to be achieved by signing five or six players of a quality that improved the squad that won the Championship.
  3. In season three we would again invest in five or six players that further improved the squad to compete for the title and progress in Europe.
  4. I personally estimated that we would require an investment of £30 million over that period to achieve our stated objectives.

Straight from the horses mouth. Unless he is lying in official club statements.

I don't see much of Gers, reports in paper, odd game on Tele.  I was glad when he was appointed and thought last season he did really well overhauling the squad and getting promotion.  On paper I would say we're doing okay this season in terms of league position but would prefer to have a narrower points gap- I'm sure Aberdeen and Hearts fans would have similar thoughts about their clubs.

I get the impression that my fellow Bears are not too upset, unrealistic expectations? Style of football?  Few if any successes in transfer dealings of late?

18 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

For the avoidance of doubt, I repeat the key elements;

1. We would invest sufficient resources to ensure immediate promotion to the Premiership.
  2. In season two we would further invest to be competitive in the Premiership and qualify for Europe at the end of the season. Our realistic expectation was to come second. This was to be achieved by signing five or six players of a quality that improved the squad that won the Championship.
  3. In season three we would again invest in five or six players that further improved the squad to compete for the title and progress in Europe.
  4. I personally estimated that we would require an investment of £30 million over that period to achieve our stated objectives.

Straight from the horses mouth. Unless he is lying in official club statements.

Can you actually read without adding your own personal opinion? 

Absolutely nowhere in what you've pasted above does it say the 30m is for players only. 

Thanks for proving my point though. ?

The full statement clearly reads as £30m on players. It goes on to say that £18m of the £30m has already been invested, and that a total investment of more than £30m will be  now required. It does not say, as was reported by the Daily Record, that another £30m may need to be invested.

9 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Can you actually read without adding your own personal opinion? 

Absolutely nowhere in what you've pasted above does it say the 30m is for players only. 

Thanks for proving my point though. ?

Ehhh?? Absolutely nowhere does it say he will spend £30m on anything BUT improving the team. That's not an opinion, that's facts and being able to read a 4 point statement where he only talks about improving the team to meet the teams goals. Where do you think in those points he talks about anything other than the playing side?

Ive seen many blinkered OF fans on here over the years but you just about beat the lot if you are trying to spin those points as anything other than spending on the playing squad. 

9 minutes ago, Pool Q said:

The full statement clearly reads as £30m on players. It goes on to say that £18m of the £30m has already been invested, and that a total investment of more than £30m will be  now required. It does not say, as was reported by the Daily Record, that another £30m may need to be invested.

Thank you. Was beginning to doubt my own ability to read simple English there. 

I have no idea how anyone can read it differently unless their glass tint is just too blue.

33 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

Ehhh?? Absolutely nowhere does it say he will spend £30m on anything BUT improving the team. That's not an opinion, that's facts and being able to read a 4 point statement where he only talks about improving the team to meet the teams goals. Where do you think in those points he talks about anything other than the playing side?

Ive seen many blinkered OF fans on here over the years but you just about beat the lot if you are trying to spin those points as anything other than spending on the playing squad. 

Not one for backing Huns but you need to point me in the direction of where it states players alone?