Taking children to the game - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Taking children to the game

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Taking the wee man to his first Killie game today, at Dens Park. New strip on, he's high as a kite ! 

Not something I've thought about before but am I ok taking along a rucksack with some snacks etc for him, extra clothes etc    ???

How old is he out of interest? Been thinking about taking mine to his first game but think he's too young at 2 and a half. 

1 hour ago, iainmac1 said:

How old is he out of interest? Been thinking about taking mine to his first game but think he's too young at 2 and a half. 

Same age as my son. I think he's far too young.

I want to wait until hes old enough to understand and appreciate it. He won't even remember his first match if I take him now.

3 hours ago, iainmac1 said:

1 hour ago, Reevesy said:

Same age as my son. I think he's far too young.

I want to wait until hes old enough to understand and appreciate it. He won't even remember his first match if I take him now.

I took my wee boy for the first time at 2 and a bit. Not really for him, more of a childcare issue.

:lol:

He's 3 and a half now and showing a bit more interest in what's actually going on. He asked to come, so took him to the Hearts game the other week that was his first taste of defeat (and no goals).

As above, plenty snacks and be prepared that you might not see full time. I've avoided letting him have the phone or iPad, but depends how much you want to see the game.

Undecided on whether better to arrive early and let him settle in or turn up at kick off to minimise time he has to sit, as he liked mascots etc, but 2 hours + is a long time....

Want yer arse kicked taking a wean out in the middle of winter to watch their first match.  

You wouldn't sit them on a park bench for 2 hours in this weather - but at least you'll have something to brag about in the office on Monday

Kids haven't the attention span to get past half time or the second round of snacks and he'll be too worried about disappointing daddy to ask to take his frozen body back home.

Poor show sir!

Better waiting for a summer's day or evening and watching a match you don't care about missing most of.

Don't have kids but if I were a father I'd probably wait a wee while until they were a wee bit older with a right proper interest in the game.

Also, if your a sentimental kind of person you might prefer it if you and your son can both share the special memories of taking him to his first match in years to come.

I was eight when I went to my first match. Celtic vs Kilmarnock, I thought Celtic going to win 6-0 and Larsson would score a hatrick but Killie went and scored first :lol:

10 minutes ago, adamntg said:

My wee boy got a plastic fruit shoot bottle huckled off him at Fir Park when he was two.  He'd snuck it in in his Bob the Builder bag. And they took it off him

I've found them ok, they look in the bag, but I just stick his juice underneath stuff. One guy was ready for a rummage when a guy further back pointed out how pathetic it was and stopped looking.

Had my 5 year old to a few games this yead. He enjoys the spectacle, singing etc, the mascots and standing at half time.

Likes his routine of parking the car  getting carried to the game on my shoulders and buying a programme to look at the pictures and do the spot the difference and handing over his ticket and going through the turnstyle.

He watches the game for periods and when he gets a bit bored he'll have a shot on his tablet. Usually take a bag along with the tablet, bit of fruit and maybe a sweetie or a bag of crisps along with a carton of juice. 

Whether he remembers these games isnt what its about. Its something he enjoys doing and he's right excited excited about beating "smelly Hibs" tomorrow. If he remembers these days of going with his dad when he was wee then all the better.

1 hour ago, thistle do nicely said:

Want yer arse kicked taking a wean out in the middle of winter to watch their first match.  

You wouldn't sit them on a park bench for 2 hours in this weather - but at least you'll have something to brag about in the office on Monday

Kids haven't the attention span to get past half time or the second round of snacks and he'll be too worried about disappointing daddy to ask to take his frozen body back home.

Poor show sir!

Better waiting for a summer's day or evening and watching a match you don't care about missing most of.

Don't completely disagree with your overall point, but certainly in my case it's been free tickets and in the knowledge we might have to leave. It's more been circumstantial with my wife working and having asked a lot of grandparents through the week.

It didn't cost anything, so nothing to lose in my eyes.

So far he's always enjoyed it, although we left early last week, as it was a bit cold.

My wee lad is 5. Already had him to Rio for the World Cup, France for the Euros following Poland, Wembley for the Scotland game and at the Nou Camp last month for Barcelona v Las Palmas as well as countless games involving Hearts (his team), Dundee United (my team) and Edinburgh City (our team). 

He'll tell you more and recall certain goals and games more than I can. There's something special about a dad taking his laddie to a game ??

3 hours ago, thistle do nicely said:

Poor show sir!

He was a well wrapped up 6 year old who asked loads of questions and ate my fekin pie having said he didn't want one :rollsmile:It was bitter though so I took him away home at half time despite his protests that he wanted to see the second half. 

We are often out in this weather for a couple of hours around Broughty Ferry beach and town so I am well aware of how to manage my childrens' exposure to the elements, and how to dress them accordingly. Thank you for your concern though.

5 hours ago, McTeeko said:

My wee lad is 5. Already had him to Rio for the World Cup, France for the Euros following Poland, Wembley for the Scotland game and at the Nou Camp last month for Barcelona v Las Palmas as well as countless games involving Hearts (his team), Dundee United (my team) and Edinburgh City (our team). 

He'll tell you more and recall certain goals and games more than I can. There's something special about a dad taking his laddie to a game ??

How did your son end up supporting a different club to yourself, if you don't mind me asking?

6 hours ago, Reevesy said:

How did your son end up supporting a different club to yourself, if you don't mind me asking?

You think this strange? My old man has four boys, the five of us all support different teams. Healthy rivalry in the family helps with competitive edge and makes life more interesting. Never understood this, "my da' was a rangerz man so ah um too" attitude.   

6 hours ago, Reevesy said:

I'm born and bred Edinburgh but ended up supporting Dundee United (no idea why!). Over the years it's been pretty pish driving up to Dundee or wherever myself, couple of Cup wins celebrating myself and couple of relegations with no-one to commiserate with. I didn't want that for him so I pointed him in the direction of his local team (as it should be) and most of his school pals are Hearts fans too (in fact his wee pal is mascot at the cup derby today).

Aye, we'll never have the father/son celebrating a cup win together thing but hopefully he'll have that with his pals in the future. It also makes the Scotland games much more of an event for us ??

12 hours ago, McTeeko said:

you ever worry he'll get to about 12 and say "f this scottish fitba lark.  I was at the world cup in rio in 2014.  take me to el clasico next week otherwise i'm calling social services on ya" 

1 hour ago, McTeeko said:

I'm born and bred Edinburgh but ended up supporting Dundee United (no idea why!). Over the years it's been pretty pish driving up to Dundee or wherever myself, couple of Cup wins celebrating myself and couple of relegations with no-one to commiserate with. I didn't want that for him so I pointed him in the direction of his local team (as it should be) and most of his school pals are Hearts fans too (in fact his wee pal is mascot at the cup derby today).

Aye, we'll never have the father/son celebrating a cup win together thing but hopefully he'll have that with his pals in the future. It also makes the Scotland games much more of an event for us ??

That make sense.

Especially agree with the last part, I enjoy going to Scotland games with friends who support other clubs, so it'll be even more of a special occasion for you both now.