Taking children to the game - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Taking children to the game

1 hour ago, duncan II said:

You think this strange? My old man has four boys, the five of us all support different teams. Healthy rivalry in the family helps with competitive edge and makes life more interesting. Never understood this, "my da' was a rangerz man so ah um too" attitude.   

I never said it was strange. I was just curious and making conversation really.

You've never understood a son supporting a team because of his father? I'd say that's strange, cos the overwhelming majority of football fans do exactly that. 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

53 minutes ago, morrie21 said:

you ever worry he'll get to about 12 and say "f this scottish fitba lark.  I was at the world cup in rio in 2014.  take me to el clasico next week otherwise i'm calling social services on ya" 

?

Aye, but to be fair he gets as excited going to watch Edinburgh City at Meadowbank in front of 300 as he does any other game. 

At least for now..........?

1 hour ago, duncan II said:

You think this strange? My old man has four boys, the five of us all support different teams. Healthy rivalry in the family helps with competitive edge and makes life more interesting. Never understood this, "my da' was a rangerz man so ah um too" attitude.   

1 hour ago, McTeeko said:

I'm born and bred Edinburgh but ended up supporting Dundee United (no idea why!). Over the years it's been pretty pish driving up to Dundee or wherever myself, couple of Cup wins celebrating myself and couple of relegations with no-one to commiserate with. I didn't want that for him so I pointed him in the direction of his local team (as it should be) and most of his school pals are Hearts fans too (in fact his wee pal is mascot at the cup derby today).

Aye, we'll never have the father/son celebrating a cup win together thing but hopefully he'll have that with his pals in the future. It also makes the Scotland games much more of an event for us ??

Might just be me but I'm going to do my best to make sure my boy supports the same team as me! I want to take him to games and having us travel to support the same team.

Supporting his local team, while a nice idea, fills me with dred as our local team is Ross County.  There isn't a massive difference getting to Dingwall or Inverness though from here, 15 mins more to Inverness, so not like I'd be making him support a team in Glasgow 200 miles away. 

Only thing is that most of the kids here support Ross County, which is nice to see. In the school I work at in Invergordon there is maybe 1 or 2 Old Firm fans out of the 200 odd kids. The rest pretty much all support Ross County. I'd imagine this is the same in Tain, where my kids will go to school.

16 minutes ago, Reevesy said:

I never said it was strange. I was just curious and making conversation really.

You've never understood a son supporting a team because of his father? I'd say that's strange, cos the overwhelming majority of football fans do exactly that. 

Yeah, fair enough. Just different in our house but yeah, understand it. We still went to all sorts of football together but never really went to see a particular team every week. Saturday was for playing football really. So when I say supported, I suppose followed is more accurate.

Live in Kilmarnock now and intend to take my son to see his local team when he's old enough. They won't be my team as such but I hope we enjoyit together and if it becomes a thing for him, that'll be up to him. 

But yeah, I do get the father son support the same team thing. Just wasn't my experience.

My unborn son is apparently already a Motherwell fan. My wife has insisted on it before he's born simply because "you (Rangers) have enough fans already"... <_<

I'll let the wee fella decide in due course but I intend taking him to the football and rugby internationals anyway.

13 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

He was a well wrapped up 6 year old who asked loads of questions and ate my fekin pie having said he didn't want one :rollsmile:It was bitter though so I took him away home at half time despite his protests that he wanted to see the second half. 

We are often out in this weather for a couple of hours around Broughty Ferry beach and town so I am well aware of how to manage my childrens' exposure to the elements, and how to dress them accordingly. Thank you for your concern though.

Arf,  if you are so skilled in his welfare why ask the crazies on here how to prepare? Wee brag the wee man is off to the match with his da maybe?

Good to teach him to leave early anyway, he'll break your heart eventually and start supporting Rangers and he needs to get away early "to avoid the traffic" like 30% of rangers fans...

Honestly not having a dig at you now, but sitting at a match is different from being out and about at the beach, even for adults, at least we can drink watery bovril and try and convince ourselves its making a difference. Brrr.

My daughter was about 6 and was only interested in the hot dogs and probably forgot she was there within a year :( We missed the first 5 mins, a goal, a red card and left at half time, 15 euro each well spent.  At least we went to see a team on a summers night beside the seaside, so we went for chips and a walk on the beach afterwards.  At least she enjoyed it at the time, I think if you went to a winter match there is a risk you could sicken them off it for a good while. 

2 hours ago, thewolf_1980 said:

My unborn son is apparently already a Motherwell fan. My wife has insisted on it before he's born simply because "you (Rangers) have enough fans already"... <_<

I'll let the wee fella decide in due course but I intend taking him to the football and rugby internationals anyway.

Listen to your wife. She seems very sensible. 

On 2/11/2017 at 5:44 PM, thistle do nicely said:

Want yer arse kicked taking a wean out in the middle of winter to watch their first match.  

You wouldn't sit them on a park bench for 2 hours in this weather - but at least you'll have something to brag about in the office on Monday

Kids haven't the attention span to get past half time or the second round of snacks and he'll be too worried about disappointing daddy to ask to take his frozen body back home.

Poor show sir!

Better waiting for a summer's day or evening and watching a match you don't care about missing most of.

No bother Ester Ranzen.

On 2/12/2017 at 8:53 AM, duncan II said:

Yeah, fair enough. Just different in our house but yeah, understand it. We still went to all sorts of football together but never really went to see a particular team every week. Saturday was for playing football really. So when I say supported, I suppose followed is more accurate.

Live in Kilmarnock now and intend to take my son to see his local team when he's old enough. They won't be my team as such but I hope we enjoyit together and if it becomes a thing for him, that'll be up to him. 

But yeah, I do get the father son support the same team thing. Just wasn't my experience.

Good, we need all the fans we can get!

I stay in  Shawlands now but if i ever have any kids they;ll be going to RP with me, the same way my dad took me and my siblings as kids. My missus is a Celtic fan (used to have season ticket holder) but i go home and away most weeks to watch Killie. 

if the kids decides to support Celtic (or Rangers) when they are older then that's their choice but i'll sure as hell not be taking them! 

On 11/02/2017 at 5:44 PM, thistle do nicely said:

Want yer arse kicked taking a wean out in the middle of winter to watch their first match.  

You wouldn't sit them on a park bench for 2 hours in this weather - but at least you'll have something to brag about in the office on Monday

Kids haven't the attention span to get past half time or the second round of snacks and he'll be too worried about disappointing daddy to ask to take his frozen body back home.

Poor show sir!

Better waiting for a summer's day or evening and watching a match you don't care about missing most of.

This is a bit bizarre sounding to me. I'm sure social services won't be round to the door because he took his son to a game of football in February. 

We live in Scotland,the weather is shite,it's never guaranteed to be warm at pittodrie,so by your logic,I shouldn't be taking the bairn until he's 16 and can't report me. 

I've been through the motions of him being bored and wanting to leave,but if you make it interesting for him instead of leaving him sitting and yapping to yer pals for 90 minutes,you would be amazed just how much they can take in at that age and be buzzing to get to their next game. 

4 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Good, we need all the fans we can get!

I stay in  Shawlands now but if i ever have any kids they;ll be going to RP with me, the same way my dad took me and my siblings as kids. My missus is a Celtic fan (used to have season ticket holder) but i go home and away most weeks to watch Killie. 

if the kids decides to support Celtic (or Rangers) when they are older then that's their choice but i'll sure as hell not be taking them! 

I also believe that you can legally throw them out to the streets if this arises :lol:

My step daughter went through a phase of asking for a Celtic top as a few people in her school had them and it seemed cool. 

She was simply told no and if she did buy one herself,it wouldn't be going in my washing machine :lol:

Another thing that might happen is this - my wee man is eight, has been going with me to Accies on and off for a couple of years, and has now decided that he doesn't want to go to home games anymore but wants to go to every away game.

His reasoning is that home games are terrible and boring (which they usually are), but he loves the whole experience of travelling to away games wherever they happen to be - planning what trains to get, having some juice & crisps on the train (whilst daddy has some "grown up" juice), having lunch in a local pub at the away venue, and then the game is usually a better atmosphere as away fans often make more noise than home fans.  He just loves the whole day out.

2 minutes ago, Shotts56 said:

Another thing that might happen is this - my wee man is eight, has been going with me to Accies on and off for a couple of years, and has now decided that he doesn't want to go to home games anymore but wants to go to every away game.

His reasoning is that home games are terrible and boring (which they usually are), but he loves the whole experience of travelling to away games wherever they happen to be - planning what trains to get, having some juice & crisps on the train (whilst daddy has some "grown up" juice), having lunch in a local pub at the away venue, and then the game is usually a better atmosphere as away fans often make more noise than home fans.  He just loves the whole day out.

Well at least that will keep him interested in Accies as a club and when he gets a bit older he'll no doubt start going back to home games.

I remember being that age and you pay more attention to things like what colour of boots the players are wearing, and looking over at people singing songs more than you do the game itself. The important thing at this stage is that he's enjoying himself and you're getting to spend time together. He'll still remember it all with great fondness when he's your age.

My sons first game  [he was four and half]  was very educational , he managed to eat 3 steak pies, a large bag of jelly babies and drink a bottle of irn bru with no ill effect.

By 4;45 he could swear fluently in Glaswegian.   On the way back to Edinburgh,  the bus pulled over for the usual toilet stop, he then managed to pee up the leg of the bus driver who had got off the bus.

Once back in Edinburgh, he said  "we going to the pub" ?  - i said no,  he said "ok can i have sausage & chips" - which he happily took back to his aunties house.

His auntie said  " you enjoy the game son"  - he said  "yes auntie Kath, did you know that oranges are b******s" !!!! 

It just shows you how quickly they pick up on whats being said and eaten around them, not sure where the peeing up the side of the bus drivers leg came from though. 

Fortunately that was 16 years ago and he has suffered no psychological trauma , although he still will not eat oranges.

I took my oldest to his first game when he was coming up on 6. Junior Cup final between Kelty and Linlithgow. He wanted to go home after 20 minutes when the first bag of crisps and Capri Sun was finished. I made him stay until near end of extra time but a lesson was learned that day.....kids don't really get football at that age IMO.

He is older now and has recently started going to Dunfermline games with his mates, which is good, in fact he has only missed Ayr away since the turn of the year and is off to Hamilton tonight for the replay.

On 12/02/2017 at 8:40 AM, McTeeko said:

?

Aye, but to be fair he gets as excited going to watch Edinburgh City at Meadowbank in front of 300 as he does any other game. 

At least for now..........?

when my lad was 8 maybe 9 a friend of mine let me use his season ticket for Leeds whilst he was on holiday. we went to Elland road for a game against liverpool it was a nice day packed house and the score was i think 4-3 to leeds with viduka getting all four for leeds when my mate came back he asked my lad what he thought he said it was good but he preferred going to watch bradford pa.its funny how the young percieve things

Ian

2 hours ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

I took my oldest to his first game when he was coming up on 6. Junior Cup final between Kelty and Linlithgow. He wanted to go home after 20 minutes when the first bag of crisps and Capri Sun was finished. I made him stay until near end of extra time but a lesson was learned that day.....kids don't really get football at that age IMO.

He is older now and has recently started going to Dunfermline games with his mates, which is good, in fact he has only missed Ayr away since the turn of the year and is off to Hamilton tonight for the replay.

Absolutely agree

41 minutes ago, Reevesy said:

Absolutely agree

Totally disagree. Depends on the kid.

At 6 years old i had a season ticket and was begging to go to Away games. Can remember going to the likes of Firhill, Somerset, Cappielow and Kilbowie to watch us and loved it. 

My mates wee boy is 6, is football daft and has had a season ticket since he was 4. Loves going to games, especially aways where there's more atmosphere. 

On 12/02/2017 at 11:17 AM, thistle do nicely said:

Good to teach him to leave early anyway, he'll break your heart eventually and start supporting Rangers and he needs to get away early "to avoid the traffic" like 30% of rangers fans...

I seriously doubt that will happen.

55 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

At 6 years old i had a season ticket and was begging to go to Away games. Can remember going to the likes of Firhill, Somerset, Cappielow and Kilbowie to watch us and loved it. 

My mates wee boy is 6, is football daft and has had a season ticket since he was 4. Loves going to games, especially aways where there's more atmosphere. 

Agree. 

My step son had his first season ticket at 6 and loved it,still does. 

First away game he was 6,Scottish cup semi final and again,loved it,despite the defeat. 

I mean no disrespect in this,but I would say it depends on the individual. 

Some kids are genuinely into it and some are there because they're taken there. 

15 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

You've kinda just proved my point. You've mentioned places you went and your mate's son enjoying the atmosphere. Nothing about the actual game itself.

That comes as they get older. 4 year olds don't have the attention span to care enough about a full 90 minutes on the park.

Edited by Reevesy