Taking children to the game - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Taking children to the game

I don't think it's black and white. Some 4 yr olds might get into it properly as they do have the attention span, probably most don't. I was apparently 6 before my Dad took me regularly but my first game I was 4, a spanking off Celtic at Rugby Park so it obviously didn't put me off too much. My wee boy turned 6 3 days before the game at Dens and he was full of questions about corners, cards, throw-ins etc so he is pretty much ready for it now, having started watching games on telly with me over the last year or so. 

I also was as transfixed by the atmosphere at away grounds as SH when I was wee. I really enjoyed the whole sing off thing up at the segregation barrier although my Dad wouldn't let me participate ! The atmosphere now in comparison is nothing like the old days but a much more child-friendly setting so I will be planning a few trips down to Rugby Park for him before the end of the season................before probably taking him on a tour of small seaside towns next season :(

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wee lad was 4 (and 2 months) when I took him to his first game - Scotland v Poland at Hampden (2-2). 

I did the whole sweets and toy cars in the bag thing in case his attention span didn't last the full match. Far from it, he was totally captivated for the entire 90 mins, loved every minute. The Polish fans added to the occasion right enough with the flares and atmosphere but even at other much smaller matches he's sat through them all and took in every minute ??

2 hours ago, McTeeko said:

My wee lad was 4 (and 2 months) when I took him to his first game - Scotland v Poland at Hampden (2-2). 

I did the whole sweets and toy cars in the bag thing in case his attention span didn't last the full match. Far from it, he was totally captivated for the entire 90 mins, loved every minute. The Polish fans added to the occasion right enough with the flares and atmosphere but even at other much smaller matches he's sat through them all and took in every minute ??

You obviously have a very special bairn.  I'd be getting him to do an IQ test, sort his MENSA membership and start applying for scholarships at MIT.

3 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

I don't think it's black and white. Some 4 yr olds might get into it properly as they do have the attention span, probably most don't. I was apparently 6 before my Dad took me regularly but my first game I was 4, a spanking off Celtic at Rugby Park so it obviously didn't put me off too much. My wee boy turned 6 3 days before the game at Dens and he was full of questions about corners, cards, throw-ins etc so he is pretty much ready for it now, having started watching games on telly with me over the last year or so. 

I also was as transfixed by the atmosphere at away grounds as SH when I was wee. I really enjoyed the whole sing off thing up at the segregation barrier although my Dad wouldn't let me participate ! The atmosphere now in comparison is nothing like the old days but a much more child-friendly setting so I will be planning a few trips down to Rugby Park for him before the end of the season................before probably taking him on a tour of small seaside towns next season :(

When you were a kid, did you go into the old enclosure in front of the main stand, it was almost like a precursor to a family enclosure.  I went there with my old man a few times in the mid 70s as my mother wasn't keen on him taking me to Ibrox at the time.

i remember we used to lie on top of the dugouts, I remember one time properly annoying Jock Stein by dangling the cord from my anorak over the top. 

34 minutes ago, Chesney Hawkes TA said:

You obviously have a very special bairn.  I'd be getting him to do an IQ test, sort his MENSA membership and start applying for scholarships at MIT.

He's just a wee laddie who loves fitba ?

41 minutes ago, aaid said:

When you were a kid, did you go into the old enclosure in front of the main stand, it was almost like a precursor to a family enclosure.  I went there with my old man a few times in the mid 70s as my mother wasn't keen on him taking me to Ibrox at the time.

i remember we used to lie on top of the dugouts, I remember one time properly annoying Jock Stein by dangling the cord from my anorak over the top. 

Our usual spot was aross from there on the old terracing, just after the wee gap with stairs down the back, about in line with the 6 yard box at the scoreboard end. Funny enough, when I started going with my mates more we went in the enclosure, round about the Fleeting/Burns/Durrant times.

Taking my two year old to a tiny tots football programme in Drumoyne on Sunday morning now that he's shown an interest in kicking a ball around. Think kids get more interested in watching football after they start playing it themselves.

18 minutes ago, Chesney Hawkes TA said:

In that case he'd probably get more out of going to a local amateur game on a council park where he can watch some football and also have a run about and have a kick of his own ball at the same time.

Why?

I would much rather take them to watch a professional game,where he can see superstars (in their young eyes),than take him to a local game and let him run around and probably not even see half of it. 

Hes interested in football,he wants to see it,I just can't get why people don't understand this. 

On 12/02/2017 at 8:34 AM, Reevesy said:

I never said it was strange. I was just curious and making conversation really.

You've never understood a son supporting a team because of his father? I'd say that's strange, cos the overwhelming majority of football fans do exactly that. 

Majority are brought up to support the same team as their parents I would think, thats how I've seen it anyway. Im different from my dad due to a proddy catholic wedding and both sides of the family being idiots at the time.

On 14/02/2017 at 0:17 PM, wellyman said:

My sons first game  [he was four and half]  was very educational , he managed to eat 3 steak pies, a large bag of jelly babies and drink a bottle of irn bru with no ill effect.

By 4;45 he could swear fluently in Glaswegian.   On the way back to Edinburgh,  the bus pulled over for the usual toilet stop, he then managed to pee up the leg of the bus driver who had got off the bus.

Once back in Edinburgh, he said  "we going to the pub" ?  - i said no,  he said "ok can i have sausage & chips" - which he happily took back to his aunties house.

His auntie said  " you enjoy the game son"  - he said  "yes auntie Kath, did you know that oranges are b******s" !!!! 

It just shows you how quickly they pick up on whats being said and eaten around them, not sure where the peeing up the side of the bus drivers leg came from though. 

Fortunately that was 16 years ago and he has suffered no psychological trauma , although he still will not eat oranges.

Is your son fat? or was he at 4 haha, dont think i could eat all that now ffs

2 hours ago, Kirk said:

Majority are brought up to support the same team as their parents I would think, thats how I've seen it anyway. Im different from my dad due to a proddy catholic wedding and both sides of the family being idiots at the time.

Is your son fat? or was he at 4 haha, dont think i could eat all that now ffs

No, he was'nt at 4 and never has been , I still wondered where he put it all to this today !!!!

8 hours ago, wellyman said:

No, he was'nt at 4 and never has been , I still wondered where he put it all to this today !!!!

lucky buggar haha. I got to 21 and stopped being able to eat and drink everything without putting on weight

On 2/14/2017 at 7:14 AM, Dalgety Bay TA said:

He is older now and has recently started going to Dunfermline games with his mates, which is good, in fact he has only missed Ayr away since the turn of the year and is off to Hamilton tonight for the replay.

Great to see a laddie following a local side! :ok:

On 2/14/2017 at 7:14 AM, Dalgety Bay TA said:

He is older now and has recently started going to Dunfermline games with his mates, which is good, in fact he has only missed Ayr away since the turn of the year and is off to Hamilton tonight for the replay.

Great to see a laddie following a local side! :ok: