Lee Clark - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

16 hours ago, PapofGlencoe said:

i'm usually annoyed when a manager/player moves south to some no mark team but, I know this will piss off killie fans, but Kilmarnock seems a different case.

Club must be one of the most boring in Scotland.  Stadium is far too big for their support.  Their ground is a morgue.

They've won a cup fairly recently and back in history they've had some team but my whole lifetime it's a club that seems to lack any kind of "personality".

What do you deem as being a personality? 

We were the last provincial side to be Champions of Scotland, we've won both domestic cups in my lifetime, we've been in the top tier of Scottish Football for the last 24 years unbroken,  We've had guys like Tommy Burns/Kenny Shiels as managers who i'd def call personalities, we've had several players capped whilst at the club in my lifetime, we've played in Europe several seasons since last promoted, we're the only team in British history to overturn a 4-0 deficit in European competition (4-0 down against Eintracht Frankfurt). I could go on.

Our stadium is too big though, blame a well meaning, over ambitious board. Our crowds have fallen massively over the past decade as the town is dying on it's arse in terms of employment. That said, the crowds are still there and Clark fully knew that and saw the potential at the play off games. Rugby Park was absolutely bouncing at the 2nd leg. Clark has more faces than the town clock and hopefully he's a complete failure at Bury.

P.S Couldn't help but bite. We're by no means a glamourous club but there's plenty of tradition, history and potential attached the club and any manager worth their salt would recognise that. Sadly for Lee Clark he's probably been enticed by a few extra beers a week in his pay. 

47 minutes ago, euan2020 said:

is that not an anomaly though ?   Leeds & Newcastle should really find themselves in the Premiership 

& some of the pap like Bournemouth without the investors money would be back in Championsip/League 1

The stats I quoted are for League One not the Championship, the reference to that was with respect to the promotion places i.e. they don't into Europe and get a couple of games in June they get into Championship and a get as season of larger gates and the opportunity of entering the promised land of the EPL.

12 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

If we are to take him at his word of wanting to manage a big club he's probably doing the sensible thing. Finishing 3rd or 4th with Killie won't get you any recognition in England. Taking a team like Bury to the playoffs will.

He's more likely to end up in league 2.

Before FC united moved to their own ground, Bury weren't even the best supported team at Gigg lane.

I can see the appeal to Clark of jumping ship, he wouldn't have lasted that long at Killie, so he moves before his reputation is damaged and resets the clock. (Although the clock probably has about 3 months on it in league 1!)

Bury are a smaller club than Killie but will have a bigger budget. they are very poorly supported but that is slightly mitigated by the competition around them in man city /utd Oldham, Rochdale ,FCutd and now Salford.I don't know who is putting the money in but they are not alone league one if full of clubs spending beyond their means hoping to get to the promised land i truly believe it is a house of cards.

3 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

What do you deem as being a personality? 

We were the last provincial side to be Champions of Scotland, we've won both domestic cups in my lifetime, we've been in the top tier of Scottish Football for the last 24 years unbroken,  We've had guys like Tommy Burns/Kenny Shiels as managers who i'd def call personalities, we've had several players capped whilst at the club in my lifetime, we've played in Europe several seasons since last promoted, we're the only team in British history to overturn a 4-0 deficit in European competition (4-0 down against Eintracht Frankfurt). I could go on.

Our stadium is too big though, blame a well meaning, over ambitious board. Our crowds have fallen massively over the past decade as the town is dying on it's arse in terms of employment. That said, the crowds are still there and Clark fully knew that and saw the potential at the play off games. Rugby Park was absolutely bouncing at the 2nd leg. Clark has more faces than the town clock and hopefully he's a complete failure at Bury.

P.S Couldn't help but bite. We're by no means a glamourous club but there's plenty of tradition, history and potential attached the club and any manager worth their salt would recognise that. Sadly for Lee Clark he's probably been enticed by a few extra beers a week in his pay. 

When you put it like that is sounds impressive. 

Think the stadium is the biggest issue.  From the outside looking in it looks brutal.  I reckon the reason the attendances have fallen is through a lack of atmosphere at games.  Lack of atmosphere = lack of an intangible personality = lack of belonging = few people want to go = empty shell = vicious circle.  Unemployment was rife in other parts of Scotland but football clubs were a focus of the community.  I think Killie suffer from the old-firm affect more than most places as well.

I like the badge though.

Fair play to anybody that supports a smaller team rather than the terrible twins.  Killie don't have the gritty glamour of a wee team but are too poorly supported to be a big team.  

Edited by PapofGlencoe

7 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

Think the stadium is the biggest issue.  From the outside looking in it looks brutal.  I reckon the reason the attendances have fallen is through a lack of atmosphere at games.  Lack of atmosphere = lack of an intangible personality = lack of belonging = few people want to go = empty shell = vicious circle.  

I know quite a few Killie fans who've stopped going to games, but I can't think of one who's said it's because the ground is too big.

1 hour ago, jailender said:

Also, his family were still down in England, so maybe he just felt that a job down there, probably with more money, was better for him and them.

Mark McGhee's family are down south too.

Does anyone know if the Exeter City job is vacant?

:mellow:

9 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

haha so the atmosphere being shite had nothing to do with it?  Find that hard to believe.

It might not look great on TV but the atmosphere is fine when you're sitting in the crowd there.

Aforementioned financial impact in the local area, hatred of the club's administrators, boredom after nearly two decades of mid to bottom table mediocrity are the main reasons for lack of attendance.

30 minutes ago, Parklife said:

That he's only down south half the time? Yeah, that definitely is your problem! 

:lol:

Maybe it explains the routine he seems to be in. Arrives at clubs starts off well (Dons being an exception) and after a time goes downhill. Being away from your family must have an adverse effect on you. Of course Motherwell are at fault for choosing this scenario.