Diddums - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell has joined Ajax, PSV Eindhoven and Anderlecht counterparts to warn Uefa that its slide towards a "Champions Super League" will ruin European football. From August 2018 England, Spain, Germany and Italy will be given half of the 32 group stage places on offer. (Scotsman)

Just me who feels not an iota of sympathy for poor little Celtic who didn't give a flying feck when buckets and buckets of "Champions" League money ruined Scottish football?  First they came for the diddy clubs, but I was not a diddy club so I did nothing.  Next they came for me and the diddy clubs laughed.

Seems Lawwell expects sporting competition to only apply from Celtic upwards.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, DaveyDenoon said:

He is right though. It's ludicrous the way the big  four leagues are getting away with monopolising European football the way they do.

They need bringing down a peg or two.

Meh, it's not that important to me, it's never going to affect my club or 40 of the other 42 clubs in Scotland ever again.  The inequality that's destroyed our domestic game is much more pressing in my opinion.  Celtic will be ok, they'll just to suck it up.

7 minutes ago, DaveyDenoon said:

He is right though. It's ludicrous the way the big  four leagues are getting away with monopolising European football the way they do.

he is right but he's also a hypocrite.......................round and round we go

20 minutes ago, DaveyDenoon said:

They've been monopolising it since 1992, Celtic and Rangers didn't give a flying feck then though, as they were often part of it. 

Lawwell and Celtic. 

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

he is right but he's also a hypocrite.......................round and round we go

Maybe Celtic should try and put Scottish football right before they go moaning about their crumbs from the big table being confiscated?

If we had a league where any of four or five teams could potentially win it, as we did the 80s, maybe the domestic crowds would go up, the TV money would go up, the national team would improve and Celtic could then turn round say to UEFA "no fair".  Until then Celtic havenae a leg to stand on.

3 minutes ago, adamntg said:

Maybe Celtic should try and put Scottish football right before they go moaning about their crumbs from the big table being confiscated?

If we had a league where any of four or five teams could potentially win it, as we did the 80s, maybe the domestic crowds would go up, the TV money would go up, the national team would improve and Celtic could then turn round say to UEFA "no fair".  Until then Celtic havenae a leg to stand on.

thats exactly what celtic should do but there isn't the appetite at celtic or the appetite out with celtic to change it to a more competitive league. The chairman of the clubs in Scotland don't want it changed, they seem to believe that the status quo is the best it will get.

They will become more and more marginalised until the countries outside the big four decide to just tell uefa where to go and set up an alternative. No sympathy with any club involved in the current greedy set up TBH. The other countries should return to a proper champions cup and euro cup - straight knockout - none of this league sh*te.

21 minutes ago, adamntg said:

Celtic aren't to blame for the Scottish league not being competitive like it was in the 80s. 

That's down to David Murray and Rangers

You could say gtf celtic but what can they do? its not really their fault they are bigger than everyone else and hoover up the dough (and all the other teams teams best players to be bench warmers). There will never be a competitive scottish league again, getting all teary eyed for the '80's is bollocks as well. Some folk on here weren't born then and still go on about the misty days of the 80's.

celtic have been found out because they are not as big as they think they are and no one gives a shit about them and their "special (as in window licker) atmosphere". My heart bleeds purple piss for them. Its just a pity they didn't go down the tubes before wee fergus came in and dug them out the bog.

1 minute ago, scoobydoo said:

You could say gtf celtic but what can they do? its not really their fault they are bigger than everyone else and hoover up the dough (and all the other teams teams best players to be bench warmers). There will never be a competitive scottish league again, getting all teary eyed for the '80's is bollocks as well. Some folk on here weren't born then and still go on about the misty days of the 80's.

celtic have been found out because they are not as big as they think they are and no one gives a shit about them and their "special (as in window licker) atmosphere". My heart bleeds purple piss for them. Its just a pity they didn't go down the tubes before wee fergus came in and dug them out the bog.

What does that mean?

15 minutes ago, Reevesy said:

Celtic aren't to blame for the Scottish league not being competitive like it was in the 80s. 

bollocks, celtic and every other top tier team let this happen. I include my our chairman in this. They've all allowed it to happen with stupid decision after stupid decision. The one's who benefit most are celtic and rangers up until five years ago. The rest of the teams are just as guilty because they let it happen

Just now, vanderark14 said:

bollocks, celtic and every other top tier team let this happen. I include my our chairman in this. They've all allowed it to happen with stupid decision after stupid decision. The one's who benefit most are celtic and rangers up until five years ago. The rest of the teams are just as guilty because they let it happen

The Scottish league was competitive until they started their opened cheque book policy in the late 80s. That isn't bollocks, that's a fact.

Just now, Reevesy said:

I gathered that but can you explain who/ what a window licker is, and what do you mean by a special bus?

Certainly. See when the special bus passes you in the morning, taking to IQ devoid to their skools, you'll see they are all proudly sporting RA (see what i did there) hoops.

1 minute ago, Reevesy said:

I gathered that but can you explain who/ what a window licker is, and what do you mean by a special bus?

It's a term that i find very unpleasant

The bus is a bus for the handicapped

The window licker is a handicapped person

I dont know why im replying as i find it hard to believe that anyone would need that explained ..

Just now, Reevesy said:

The Scottish league was competitive until they started their opened cheque book policy in the late 80s. That isn't bollocks, that's a fact.

I'm not disputing that, I am disputing your claim that its all Rangers fault. They may have started the big spending in order to dominate but the others including celtic let it happen. Celtic are just as guilty because they were quite happy for the duopoly to continue. 

Just now, scoobydoo said:

Certainly. See when the special bus passes you in the morning, taking to IQ devoid to their skools, you'll see they are all proudly sporting RA (see what i did there) hoops.

Ah you were making fun of folk with special needs . I see. You're clearly someone to look up to. 

2 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I'm not disputing that, I am disputing your claim that its all Rangers fault. They may have started the big spending in order to dominate but the others including celtic let it happen. Celtic are just as guilty because they were quite happy for the duopoly to continue. 

I suppose that's a fair point but it started with Rangers. The post I quoted implied that it was somehow the fault of Celtic.

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

no it didn't

Yes it did.

"Maybe Celtic should try and put Scottish football right 

If he had said "Celtic and the rest of the clubs" then that would have been similar to what you said, but he didn't.

29 minutes ago, Reevesy said:

it was actually lawrence marlborough who started it.

Edit: and more likely David  Holmes.

Edited by scoobydoo