Diddums - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

6 minutes ago, Reevesy said:

Yes it did.

"Maybe Celtic should try and put Scottish football right 

If he had said "Celtic and the rest of the clubs" then that would have been similar to what you said, but he didn't.

from that sentence you took it to mean he blames celtic for scottish football being non competitive? Are you insane?

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Reevesy said:

The Scottish league was competitive until they started their opened cheque book policy in the late 80s. That isn't bollocks, that's a fact.

It's not a fact at all. the league has been competitive for short spells, early to mid 60's and early to mid 80's but other than that its been old firm all the way.

after about 1988 there was only ever going to be one of two teams winning the league and thats why no one really cares about it.

2 minutes ago, scoobydoo said:

It's not a fact at all. the league has been competitive for short spells, early to mid 60's and early to mid 80's but other than that its been old firm all the way.

after about 1988 there was only ever going to be one of two teams winning the league and thats why no one really cares about it.

So after David Murray bought Rangers then?

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

I'm not disputing that, I am disputing your claim that its all Rangers fault. They may have started the big spending in order to dominate but the others including celtic let it happen. Celtic are just as guilty because they were quite happy for the duopoly to continue. 

There's nothing to stop Celtic suggesting a maximum squad size - only 18 players over 21 per season, an equitable split of gate monies, dividing up the TV equally* between all clubs (even down to Division 2 or whatever they're calling it now), play teams home and away once, supporting a squad salary cap, increase top league size to 16 or 18 so that you don't need to match the Old Firm eight times a season to compete with them.  If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem.

But they won't because they're quite happy hoovering up their buckets and buckets of cash and winning the league without breaking sweat for the next 20 years and beyond.  I'm only 46 and I don't expect anybody other than Rangers or Celtic will win the league before I die.  

* on the TV money, I would go further and suggest that we pool what we have and allocate more to the clubs at the bottom, much like the US draft system.

Edited by adamntg

I get why Celtic are complaining.

The biggest clubs wanting it all their own way, hoovering up all the money, getting all the TV airtime to the point that the diddy teams become almost irrelevant. As long as they get the big TV games and the money that goes with it they don't give a hoot about the rest.

Not something a club set up to help the poor would ever want to see.

1 hour ago, sbcmfc said:

I get why Celtic are complaining.

The biggest clubs wanting it all their own way, hoovering up all the money, getting all the TV airtime to the point that the diddy teams become almost irrelevant. As long as they get the big TV games and the money that goes with it they don't give a hoot about the rest.

Not something a club set up to help the poor would ever want to see.

?

Oops posted the below in the wrong thread.

So most of he other Scottish clubs get nothing out of Europe. They also have no chance of winning the league ever again. They should just hand in notice and set up a new league with the sort of measures Adam has mentioned. Celtic can join if they agree to the terms. If uefa don't recognise new league who cares. Get nothing at the moment anyway.

10 minutes ago, macy37 said:

What an utter abortion of a person you are.

Probably a poor choice of analogy for someone trying to take the moral high ground.

Although the original comment was a bit like something a 12 year old would use as an insult.

12 hours ago, ShedTA said:

Oops posted the below in the wrong thread.

So most of he other Scottish clubs get nothing out of Europe. They also have no chance of winning the league ever again. They should just hand in notice and set up a new league with the sort of measures Adam has mentioned. Celtic can join if they agree to the terms. If uefa don't recognise new league who cares. Get nothing at the moment anyway.

I've got more - a percentage of all merchandising sales to be paid to a solidarity fund and distributed through all clubs.  Centralise control of the elite academies with the SFA.  The clubs can have input, maybe they can select a certain number of players each year, but the rest can be distributed on a draft system.  Abolish the mid-season transfer window - pick your 18 senior players then make do and mend during the season.  Would place more value on football and less on chequebooks.

Here's one I've just thought up - any player who doesn't play in a certain percentage of a club's league matches during a season (say 20%) will have the right to leave on a free transfer if they desire.  Clubs should be buying players to play them, not to sit them on the bench and deny talent to other teams.

None of these rules would really stop Celtic winning the league, but it would at least mean they had to work for it and do it on a football basis.  At the moment my old mum could manage Celtic to the title.

8 minutes ago, adamntg said:

I've got more - a percentage of all merchandising sales to be paid to a solidarity fund and distributed through all clubs.  Centralise control of the elite academies with the SFA.  The clubs can have input, maybe they can select a certain number of players each year, but the rest can be distributed on a draft system.  Abolish the mid-season transfer window - pick your 18 senior players then make do and mend during the season.  Would place more value on football and less on chequebooks.

Here's one I've just thought up - any player who doesn't play in a certain percentage of a club's league matches during a season (say 20%) will have the right to leave on a free transfer if they desire.  Clubs should be buying players to play them, not to sit them on the bench and deny talent to other teams.

None of these rules would really stop Celtic winning the league, but it would at least mean they had to work for it and do it on a football basis.  At the moment my old mum could manage Celtic to the title.

Bitter much 

1 minute ago, adamntg said:

Not really.  Just some thoughts on how to make Scottish football more competitive and less boring.

I take it you're a Celtic supporter, do you not see that there's a problem?

I could understand if Celtic were spending money they didn't have but the Celtic business model is working well at the minute, who is to blame that Celtic generate more money than other teams

1 minute ago, Blackpool78 said:

I could understand if Celtic were spending money they didn't have but the Celtic business model is working well at the minute, who is to blame that Celtic generate more money than other teams

You do have a point. Celtic are part of the SPFL however, not the other way round.

There are several suggestions Adam makes where the overall pulling and sharing of resources could help Scottish football.

The feeling being that Celtic would not want that.

5 minutes ago, Blackpool78 said:

It certainly is.  Dull as dishwater for the rest of us.

And, actually, dull as anything for a great deal of Celtic supporters I know as well, as evidenced by the huge swathes of empty seats at Parkhead every week.  What's the point in sport if it's not a contest?

4 minutes ago, adamntg said:

It certainly is.  Dull as dishwater for the rest of us.

And, actually, dull as anything for a great deal of Celtic supporters I know as well, as evidenced by the huge swathes of empty seats at Parkhead every week.  What's the point in sport if it's not a contest?

Not Celtic's fault though and who is to blame?

Edited by Blackpool78

7 minutes ago, adamntg said:

Most home games have had crowds of over 50k this season.

Just because the stadium holds 60k, that doesn't mean those type of crowds aren't impressive.

Sounds like your mates weren't really that into Celtic in the first place tbh.

Edited by Reevesy