Diddums - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Blackpool78 said:

So what you want is a level playing field to try and help out the other clubs in Scotland, the irony of the post being called Diddums aimed at Celtic ;);)

Could you imagine the SFA operating a draft system? :lol:

Sevco would be given the best players year after year. We'd still be back to a one horse race but a lot more people would be happier with that, funnily enough.

24 minutes ago, Blackpool78 said:

Not Celtic's fault though and who is to blame?

Celtic are partly at fault but no more to blame than the rest of the clubs who have allowed scottish football to become a one horse race. The two horse race was not much better. 

Ultimately I agree with adamtg in that the whole set up needs to change to level the playing field. This isn't going to happen because Celtic don't want it and bizarrely neither to the rest of the clubs.

1 minute ago, Reevesy said:

Sevco would be given the best players year after year. We'd still be back to a one horse race but a lot more people would be happier with that, funnily enough.

Rubbish, if the SFA were that bent then they would have fixed it so that Rangers would have had a whole succession of home ties in the Scottish....oh wait a minute....:huh:

Just now, vanderark14 said:

Celtic are partly at fault but no more to blame than the rest of the clubs who have allowed scottish football to become a one horse race. The two horse race was not much better. 

Ultimately I agree with adamtg in that the whole set up needs to change to level the playing field. This isn't going to happen because Celtic don't want it and bizarrely neither to the rest of the clubs.

What other leagues in football have a system like the one suggested above? I'm not an aware of any, so harsh to single Scotland out.

5 minutes ago, Blackpool78 said:

So what you want is a level playing field to try and help out the other clubs in Scotland, the irony of the post being called Diddums aimed at Celtic ;);)

no, we want a level playing field to include all clubs in scotland. The best solution for scotland  for all clubs to be here with more teams fighting it out for the title. Its not about helping other clubs, its about helping the game as a whole

1 minute ago, ShedTA said:

Rubbish, if the SFA were that bent then they would have fixed it so that Rangers would have had a whole succession of home ties in the Scottish....oh wait a minute....:huh:

That among many, many other things.

The fact that they were allowed to skip straight to D3 when they were formed in 2012 is evidence of that

3 minutes ago, Reevesy said:

What other leagues in football have a system like the one suggested above? I'm not an aware of any, so harsh to single Scotland out.

No leagues have that system, my interest is Scottish football. We are unique here with the domination of two clubs and now one. Whats your point?

Do you have a suggestion? I assume you are happy with what is currently on offer?

Edited by vanderark14

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

no, we want a level playing field to include all clubs in scotland. The best solution for scotland  for all clubs to be here with more teams fighting it out for the title. Its not about helping other clubs, its about helping the game as a whole

You seem to think that most Celtic fans wouldn't enjoy that too. Winning a league with 4/5 genuine contenders would be fantastic.

True, most domestic football leagues in Europe are becoming very one-sided and dull.  They have failed to react to the new wealth in the game by ensuring it didn't corrupt competition.  They had similar issues in most US sports a few decades back and eventually realised that they would have change or die.

I don't think football has come to that realisation yet.

The alternative of course, is that it'll just be the clubs outside the very small elite (Celtic may or may not be in there) that will shrivel and die while a handful of super-clubs fill our TV screens from now til eternity.  

Do you have a suggestion? I assume you are happy with what is currently on offer?

I've answered that in my above post.

My suggestion would be a 16 team league for starters, maybe less games v Celtic would mean teams had a better chance of winning the league. Very few clubs would vote for less games v celtic and Rangers though. All about the ££ for them

5 minutes ago, Reevesy said:

That among many, many other things.

The fact that they were allowed to skip straight to D3 when they were formed in 2012 is evidence of that

I didn't see any of the other clubs including mine or yours arguing against renagers reincarnated being admitted to Div 3.

5 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

why should there be a level playing field though? 

I've answered that in my above post.

My suggestion would be a 16 team league for starters, maybe less games v Celtic would mean teams had a better chance of winning the league. Very few clubs would vote for less games v celtic and Rangers though. All about the ££ for them

simply changing to a 16 team league will do nothing to address the distribution of money in the game

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

I didn't see any of the other clubs including mine or yours arguing against renagers reincarnated being admitted to Div 3.

That's because the men who run those clubs want a version of Rangers in the league.

As for "why am I arguing", I wasn't. Other than against a draft idea, because I wouldn't trust it to be used fairly.

2 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

simply changing to a 16 team league will do nothing to address the distribution of money in the game

True but Celtic and Rangers are always going to have more money in gate receipts. I don't know if they could even be told they were going to share that equally with other clubs from a legal point of view?

Tv money should always be split equally though. I've always said that. It's not the fault of the other clubs that sky and BT want Celtic or Rangers on ever time they play away from home.

That's because the men who run those clubs want a version of Rangers in the league.

As for "why am I arguing", I wasn't. Other than against a draft idea, because I wouldn't trust it to be used fairly.

the draft idea is possibly too far, I'd like to see a completely fair distribution of all money to each club. It could be used fairly, if we are going for radical change I would replace the SFA an those in charge of the SPFL like Doncaster. 

on a side note, your cousins in blue would say the exact thing, they would say any system will favour celtic................and round and round we go

the draft idea is possibly too far, I'd like to see a completely fair distribution of all money to each club. It could be used fairly, if we are going for radical change I would replace the SFA an those in charge of the SPFL like Doncaster. 

on a side note, your cousins in blue would say the exact thing, they would say any system will favour celtic................and round and round we go

No cousin of mine wears blue, unless it is a Scotland top.