Diddums - Page 7 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

9 minutes ago, slasher said:

The problem is we are so far ahead of the others you would have to seriously handicap Celtic to create genuine competition. If we are talking about fairness here then that simply isn't. Some things could be done and some have been suggested on here but they would have to be equitable, long term and sustainable....there's no quick fix. Even then you are relying on some of the clowns running our clubs using the extra money wisely. ?

Spot on.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, slasher said:

The problem is we are so far ahead of the others you would have to seriously handicap Celtic to create genuine competition. If we are talking about fairness here then that simply isn't. Some things could be done and some have been suggested on here but they would have to be equitable, long term and sustainable....there's no quick fix. Even then you are relying on some of the clowns running our clubs using the extra money wisely. ?

Personally I would ditch the TV deal unless Sky can be persuaded to get much more generous. Get our stadiums full and you'll get moving the right way again. We also need our biggest clubs back in the top flight asap, Hibs, United Dunfermline etc but no one can do it for them.

Celtic would not be handicapped but the huge advantage they have would disappear

8 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Celtic would not be handicapped but the huge advantage they have would disappear

A 50/50 split of gate money and pooling of merchandise income would cost Celtic eyewatering amounts of money!

Come on VA you're not telling me that if some Chinese businessman bought Aberdeen and promised to plough in £50m you'd be happy to give half of it away to the rest for the good of the game? I can hardly find a sheepworrier who'll buy me a pint! ???

Edited by slasher

2 minutes ago, slasher said:

A 50/50 split of gate money and pooling of merchandise income would cost Celtic eyewatering amounts of money!

Come on VA you're not telling me that if some Chinese businessman bought Aberdeen and promised to plough in £50m you'd be happy to give half of it away to the rest for the good of the game? I can hardly find a sheepworrier who'll buy me a pint! ???

Celtic would be less well off but at least everyone would start from the same point, surely this is a good thing? Do you at least agree that Celtic only win because of the huge gulf in resources?

to answer your last question, in a fair and competitive league, no team would be allowed a sugar daddy to just plow in money to beat off the opposition.

15 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Celtic would be less well off but at least everyone would start from the same point, surely this is a good thing? Do you at least agree that Celtic only win because of the huge gulf in resources?

to answer your last question, in a fair and competitive league, no team would be allowed a sugar daddy to just plow in money to beat off the opposition.

You are talking about handicapping Celtic tho..... just admit it! Fairness is at the heart of your argument and yet what you are proposing is in no way fair. Just a desire to clip one clubs wings in the desire to create some sort of communist cabal in Scottish football.

Any gulf in resources between Celtic and the rest has been created by years of hard work by everyone at the club from the fans up. Stop whining and come up with something sensible, equitable and fair to all.

In fairness if some of these proposals were introduced tomorrow they would probably finish off the other lot for good! ?

4 minutes ago, slasher said:

You are talking about handicapping Celtic tho..... just admit it! Fairness is at the heart of your argument and yet what you are proposing is in no way fair. Just a desire to clip one clubs wings in the desire to create some sort of communist cabal in Scottish football.

Any gulf in resources between Celtic and the rest has been created by years of hard work by everyone at the club from the fans up. Stop whining and come up with something sensible, equitable and fair to all.

In fairness if some of these proposals were introduced tomorrow they would probably finish off the other lot for good! ?

My own team would also lose resources when compared to the likes of Killie, Partick, Ross County etc. This is no disrespect to those teams, they deserve the same chance as the rest. I'm willing to sacrifice that to make the game fair.

Your using the wrong terminology, Celtic would not be handicapped, they be on a level playing field with rest. That's not a handicap. 

Celtics large support is what has made them what they are, that can't be argued against. 

This has nothing to do with communism, this is sport but football is barely even a sport anymore. Sport is supposed to be fair but it's now a business, Celtic are definitely the best run business in Scottish football and they've created huge wealth compared to the rest but they had the advantage of a larger fan base.

Celtic (and Rangers) have more fans because they are successful and have more success because they have more fans.

Sharing of gates would certainly help. It takes 2 teams to put on a game.

Imagine boxers kept the entire purse if you went and fought them in their city?

This, in the main, is a healthy debate. Most is decent reading.

Several Celtic regulars have  'suggested' ways that may improve our football across the board.

There IS a way of getting to a place the clubs are ALL comfortable with, I'm sure of that.

Somewhere that recognises the profile (For the correct reasons only) and £'s that Celtic & Rangers (That bloody well hurt ;)) bring to the game here. It also needs to recognise that without the others there would be no game. There's the obvious benefits for the national team too.

Start at the top. That's the real issue. Where do you start though?

8 minutes ago, macy37 said:

If Aberdeen or Hearts won next years league after an incredible season then magically made it to CL group stages would they clubs be happy with say £4m out of their £20m with £16m being shared among the other top flight clubs?

They wont though.

That's not whats being discussed either.

8 minutes ago, macy37 said:

I didn't say it was, I'm merely asking the question. Sharing income idea.

Okay, fair enough.

I think it's important to remember that there would be no income to share if there was no league though.

I'd miss the games against Celtic, however, that's the way its heading.

3 hours ago, macy37 said:

If Aberdeen or Hearts won next years league after an incredible season then magically made it to CL group stages would they clubs be happy with say £4m out of their £20m with £16m being shared among the other top flight clubs?

If East Stirling won the league I'm sure they would be happy with this arrangement.