Montenegro to Albania - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Montenegro to Albania

adamntg

A drove up tae Muriqan-Sukobin border crossing in Montenegro but did nae cross in tae Albania  (hire car issues)

Drive was nae bother, usual standard of roads over there. The crossing is just ootside the small town. A heard a few things aboot the route is used by drug dealers/traffickers due tae it's remote location but nowt tae suggest it (then again a am nae expert in these things !!!!!?)

Canae recommended Montenegro enough....stunning stunning country 

Strangely enough, I'm actually driving from Podgorica to Tirana tomorrow morning. I've been based in Podgorica for the last 2 years after 7 in Tirana, so it's a route I've done regularly over the last few years.

From Podgorica, easily the best route is through Hani i Hotit. From there to Shkodra is motorway all the way (Podgorica to Shkodra is 60km and easily easily doable in 75 minutes allowing 10 minutes for the border crossing). I've done fthrough Ulcinj too, but that route through the border is much more..........rustic shall we say.There are no trains that cross the border, but there are a few coaches each day from Podgorica through the border to Tirana.

Lake Shkodra is stunning, and you'll get great views of it on the drive down through Hani i Hotit. Shkodra itself is worth a pit-stop and a walk around, but if your itinerary allows, I'd recommend Tirana every time.

As for driving, it's perfectly safe in Montenegro, but once over the border the Albanian style is a bit more unruly with more two lane roads. Nothing to be fearful of though.

15 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Strangely enough, I'm actually driving from Podgorica to Tirana tomorrow morning. I've been based in Podgorica for the last 2 years after 7 in Tirana, so it's a route I've done regularly over the last few years.

From Podgorica, easily the best route is through Hani i Hotit. From there to Shkodra is motorway all the way (Podgorica to Shkodra is 60km and easily easily doable in 75 minutes allowing 10 minutes for the border crossing). I've done fthrough Ulcinj too, but that route through the border is much more..........rustic shall we say.There are no trains that cross the border, but there are a few coaches each day from Podgorica through the border to Tirana.

Lake Shkodra is stunning, and you'll get great views of it on the drive down through Hani i Hotit. Shkodra itself is worth a pit-stop and a walk around, but if your itinerary allows, I'd recommend Tirana every time.

As for driving, it's perfectly safe in Montenegro, but once over the border the Albanian style is a bit more unruly with more two lane roads. Nothing to be fearful of though.

Quality, cheers for the info.  We're likely going to be in Tivat and Budva but it's no a big place at all is it? Everything cheek by jowl...

Been looking at Tirana - looks fairly crazy place.

Edited by adamntg

15 hours ago, Tartan_Don said:

A drove up tae Muriqan-Sukobin border crossing in Montenegro but did nae cross in tae Albania  (hire car issues)

Drive was nae bother, usual standard of roads over there. The crossing is just ootside the small town. A heard a few things aboot the route is used by drug dealers/traffickers due tae it's remote location but nowt tae suggest it (then again a am nae expert in these things !!!!!?)

Canae recommended Montenegro enough....stunning stunning country 

What was the sketch with the hire car?  I read that you need documents to "import" a car to Albania - maybe you can clear it with your hire agency first?

Basically it was one a the countries a could nae enter wae the car as part a the hire agreement 

A had nae planned Albania in the trip..it was a last minute decision so one a those things

See you mentioned Budva above, really liked it...quality wee place 

Edited by Tartan_Don