Thoughts and Questions About God - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Thoughts and Questions About God

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'Renfrew Blue' said...

You do seem really good at missing the point. 

You claim to be a Christian. 

Yet you espouse hatred for a group of people. 

I'm saying that's very unchristian of you. 

The specific group of people you hate is immaterial in this discussion. 

Got it yet? 

And if you'll scroll back I specifically asked if you hated Rangers fans as you continually conflate the club with the fans but you didn't answer. I therefore had to assume. 

23 minutes ago, Scotty CTA said:

'Renfrew Blue' said...

You do seem really good at missing the point. 

You claim to be a Christian. 

I am.

Renfrew Blue' said...

Yet you espouse hatred for a group of people

I'm saying that's very unchristian of you. 

I don't.

I hate the haters (if that's what you mean).

Renfrew Blue' said...

The specific group of people you hate is immaterial in this discussion. 

Even if they are sectarian?

Edited by Scotty CTA

'Renfrew Blue' said...

Fair enough. You believe in the "jam tomorrow" principle. 

Personally I prefer mine when I can enjoy it. 

I'll stop going on about your religion now. 

I would however suggest you listen carefully to the words of the excellent Madness song,  Mr Apples. You might find them interesting. 

Just now, Scotty CTA said:

'Parklife' said...

Ahh satan gives kids cancer? Ok. And God does feck all? What a fecking khunt!! 

I don't know how people get cancer but I know that if something happens, then God has allowed it.

Things like cancer only exist in a fallen world. No sin... no cancer.

Lets say that God steps in to solve all the world's problems.

At what point on the Biblical timeline would you expect Him to do so?

12 minutes ago, Scotty CTA said:

I don't know how people get cancer but I know that if something happens, then God has allowed it.

You cannot debate with a mentality such as this

You really need to grow up

Sadly, there are many self-professed Christians who are convinced in their utmost being that the God does indeed give people cancer (while also intentionally inflicting every other imaginable form of evil on creation). Which means there are countless other Christians who walk into their first session of chemotherapy treatment or sit beside a loved one with Alzheimers or survive a brutal sexual assault only to be told that such unspeakable evil is all part of God’s plan. That God willed their suffering for his own glory.

If it sounds insane - it should

Edited by Ally Bongo

8 minutes ago, Mindimoo said:

Can you clarify what you're asking people to debate?

One of the football threads was going off topic so I started this thread to continue the turn it took to avoid a 'hijack'.

1 minute ago, Ally Bongo said:

You cannot debate with a mentality such as this

You can. Stay with it.

8 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

So children who get cancer are sinners?

I know a few people who have lost babies days/weeks after their birth. Were these babies sinners?

OK, I'll bite, seeing as this thread is just for questions about God.

Do you believe sin is a human or a divine creation, and at what point in life do you believe a human to be capable of sinning? Given your assertions above, can you give me specifics?

As a practical example, I have just completed a placement teaching 6-year-olds. They fight, swear, argue over possessions & disobey adults. They can be greedy, selfish, and hurtful to others. Are they sinners?

9 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:
41 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

OK, I'll bite, seeing as this thread is just for questions about God.

Do you believe sin is a human or a divine creation, and at what point in life do you believe a human to be capable of sinning? Given your assertions above, can you give me specifics?

As a practical example, I have just completed a placement teaching 6-year-olds. They fight, swear, argue over possessions & disobey adults. They can be greedy, selfish, and hurtful to others. Are they sinners?

Good for you with the placement. I am now just waiting on word of a PGDE place. Based on my current 3 days in school then yes, yes they are. Pure undistilled evil :lol:

1 hour ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Good for you with the placement. I am now just waiting on word of a PGDE place. Based on my current 3 days in school then yes, yes they are. Pure undistilled evil :lol:

Good luck with that as well - for all the stress & endless colds (if there's a God, he should have designed small children with hankies around their faces) I'm loving it.

I can't help feeling an odd sense of wickedness myself here. Hijacking a thread about religion to discuss normal stuff :ph34r:

I will say one name - Jimmy Saville.

What did god do to punish him for his sins? He lived until a ripe old age, was revered like a god by many in life, abused thousands of people (alive and dead) and lived a far better life than most of us will ever have. Sorry there are no gods whatever the religion and belief you are.

43 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

Good luck with that as well - for all the stress & endless colds (if there's a God, he should have designed small children with hankies around their faces) I'm loving it.

I can't help feeling an odd sense of wickedness myself here. Hijacking a thread about religion to discuss normal stuff :ph34r:

I wouldn't worry, it's not like you are in the habit of hijacking various other threads by talking about religion all the time. 

I started working 15 hours a week with an 'after (plus breakfast !) school' club last August, and 3 days a week in class from January, in support of my application. Had a horrendous time with colds etc to begin with, even worse than we were getting from our own 2 wee monsters. I'm usually sceptical about 'alternative' medicine but took on some advice from older heads and starting taking a daily dose of each of Manuka honey, cod liver oil, and echinacea. Could be co-incidence, but have been pretty much cold free in the last 4 months.

12 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

With the greatest respect, youre a fcking lunatic.

If God allows kids to get leukemia and die before they even reach school, before they even had an opportunity to sin, then God is a cnt.

10 hours ago, Mitre said:

Do you honestly subscribe to this pish?

I believe that there wasn't any sin until Adam disobeyed God.

7 hours ago, iainmac1 said:

So children who get cancer are sinners?

I know a few people who have lost babies days/weeks after their birth. Were these babies sinners?

We inherited Adam's sin nature and were therefore born dead spiritually.

(That's why we have to be 'spiritually' born again.)

John 3:1-21English Standard Version (ESV)

You Must Be Born Again

Now there was a man of the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews.This man came to Jesus by night and said to him, “Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher come from God, for no one can do these signs that you do unless God is with him.” Jesus answered him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.” Nicodemus said to him, “How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother's womb and be born?” Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Do not marvel that I said to you, ‘You must be born again.’ The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear its sound, but you do not know where it comes from or where it goes. So it is with everyone who is born of the Spirit.”

Nicodemus said to him, “How can these things be?” 10 Jesus answered him, “Are you the teacher of Israel and yet you do not understand these things? 11 Truly, truly, I say to you, we speak of what we know, and bear witness to what we have seen, but you[f] do not receive our testimony. 12 If I have told you earthly things and you do not believe, how can you believe if I tell you heavenly things? 13 No one has ascended into heaven except he who descended from heaven, the Son of Man. 14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, so must the Son of Man be lifted up, 15 that whoever believes in him may have eternal life.