Thoughts and Questions About God - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Thoughts and Questions About God

With all due respect Scotty, you come across on here like someone who struggles to cope with reality.

In the past alcohol and other drugs helped, but you didn't find it sustainable.

So now you rely on fantastic unprovable theories to help you make sense of the world.

Thinking the Bible is divine, factual and prophetic and grasping onto outlandish conspiracy theories helps you cope - because you can't take the world as it is.

As for my "world view" I enjoy a drink and having read The Bible can see it for what it is - a loose collection of old stories, myths and fables that have been translated from their original language and have lost a significant amount of context to muddy the intent of the original message and left open to widely different interpretations.

The theory of a divine creator is outlandish enough, without using The Bible as evidence that a supernatural being actually exists.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

Can you explain Matthew 16 vv.27-28?

"For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels, and then he shall reward every man according to his works. Verily I say unto you, there be some standing here which shall not taste of death till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom."

Our works contribute nothing to our salvation. They are merely evidence of our salvation.

13 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

"For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels, and then he shall reward every man according to his works. Verily I say unto you, there be some standing here which shall not taste of death till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom."

Peter, John, and James.

14 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

Matthew 16:28, Mark 9:1, and Luke 9:27 all say the same thing.

Kingdom in this sense means 'royal splendor'. 

Jesus wasn't referring to His Second Coming here. He was referring to His transfiguration.

14 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

Surely Jesus very clearly and evidentially made a mistake here?

No. He's still God. :)

14 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Agreed

I said it myself a few posts back but then keep biting lol

It's clearly a sort of insanity mixed with the fear of death

There's nothing to fear once you know Jesus.

1 Corinthians 15 

55 “O death, where is your victory?
    O death, where is your sting?”

56 The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. 57 But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

12 hours ago, neil r said:

While he will no doubt claim it for his 'god', this is his ultimate self aggradising thread.

Less of me... More of Him.

12 hours ago, neil r said:

It really is scary people like him still exist. It's dark ages stuff

Aye... Dark Ages computer message boards.

8 minutes ago, Goozay said:

With all due respect Scotty, you come across on here like someone who struggles to cope with reality.

I've never had any problem with reality.

My life 'in the world' was the easiest I've known.

The reason I've embraced a harder life is because it's worth it.

13 minutes ago, Goozay said:

In the past alcohol and other drugs helped, but you didn't find it sustainable.

No, I just did them for something to do... kicks... a laugh... but ultimately going no where.

There was no escapism.

15 minutes ago, Goozay said:

So now you rely on fantastic...

Whatever the reason for the human experience, I can guarantee you that it will be "fantastic".

16 minutes ago, Goozay said:

...unprovable theories to help you make sense of the world.

I disagree. I believe that you can find truth if you are honestly looking for it.

20 minutes ago, Goozay said:

Thinking the Bible is divine, factual and prophetic and grasping onto outlandish conspiracy theories helps you cope - because you can't take the world as it is.

:lol: (Sorry, but come on!)

I can guarantee that you have never met me.

(People are even surprised by what I look like.)

I am very confident, together, and have no fears.

I'm not compensating for anything.

I haven't left my senses. I've come to them.

24 minutes ago, Goozay said:

As for my "world view" I enjoy a drink...

That's it? ^?^

Tell us how we got here and what's going to happen to you when you die.

28 minutes ago, Goozay said:

...and having read The Bible can see it for what it is - a loose collection of old stories, myths and fables that have been translated from their original language and have lost a significant amount of context to muddy the intent of the original message and left open to widely different interpretations.

The theory of a divine creator is outlandish enough, without using The Bible as evidence that a supernatural being actually exists.

So, Who is Jesus Christ to you?

On 2/19/2017 at 9:29 AM, Boynze said:

Think he was a junky, complicit in the suffering and likely death of hundreds. 

Would that not mean he was a drug dealer rather than a junkie, or am I picking you up wrong?

On 2/19/2017 at 11:29 AM, Boynze said:

Think he was a junky, complicit in the suffering and likely death of hundreds. 

now now, that's getting a bit vindictive

One of the guys i was friendly with in my 20's was into his acid tabs, whizz etc 

He now has a jesus complex, and thinks he is jesus - reckon all down to the acid

anyone who went to Scotland away games consistently over 10-15 year's knows Scott, because the core of people was around 1,000 and you got to know kent faces

13 minutes ago, euan2020 said:

now now, that's getting a bit vindictive

Is it? I've no idea if what Ally Bear says is true but if it is, then it's fair game IMO. 

Scotty has started a thread and is telling us: 

- Unless we believe what he does, we're sinnners and are going to hell

- Kids get cancer because they are sinners

But whatever he's done in the past is okay because he loves Jesus. 

Just now, Parklife said:

Is it? I've no idea if what Ally Bear says is true but if it is, then it's fair game IMO. 

I don't think thats what he said

I don't agree with Scotty but fair play to him for sticking to his beliefs, he's taken stick from all ends...............some of it OTT too

2 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I don't think thats what he said

I don't agree with Scotty but fair play to him for sticking to his beliefs, he's taken stick from all ends...............some of it OTT too

Nah, he dodged the question and said "Cancer only exisits because of sin". 

A shitebag as well as a religious fundamentalist. 

You're right Scotty, I've never met you. However on here you have two main themes you consistently push - Jesus and crackpot conspiracy theories. I'm particularly enjoying "the earth is flat" at the moment.

Jesus Christ to me is one of the many characters that appear in The Bible. I understand he also gets a few mentions in The Qur'an.

Finally, "All Christians go to heaven and everyone else goes to hell." is a pretty nasty philosophy I'd thank you to keep to yourself.

53 minutes ago, Parklife said:

what's he done in the past ?

I'll qualify it by saying i have known Scott 18 years, & plenty of the other guys who were/are regulars will have known him minimal going on 20 years

10 minutes ago, euan2020 said:

what's he done in the past ?

I've no idea, the last sentence in my post was referencing the first paragraph.

Scotty is also the one one that said he was a sinner. 

I'm not on here judging anyone btw. Merely pointing out the holes and lack of consistency in the "logic" Scotty exhibits. 

So much projected anger over someones beliefs.

Everyone so certain.

No one knows. Not one member of our species has ever known.

You believe that book is true which is stupid, so let me psychoanalyze you from posts on a message board cause that's a much more rational course of action.

Edited by phart

18 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

This April 15th will be 11 years since I put down my last beer, stopped doing drugs, stopped having sex outside marriage, and went back to church.

Eleven? :yikes3: We'e doomed. Should I go out and spend all my money on booze, drugs and fast women?