Thoughts and Questions About God - Page 5 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Thoughts and Questions About God

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, phart said:

He thinks he knows, no one does. Certainty is an illusion when you have such imperfect tools as us.

Totally agree with you on certainty. The only certain thing in life is death

Agree with the poster above who gave respect to Scotty. We might not agree with his beliefs or his preaching but you have to respect his unwaivering faith

@scotty 

Off the top of my head I think the other "cleansings" were to rid the world of wicked people

Sorry Scotty forgot my thoughts on creation/evolution. Don't know how many times I wrote the post lol

Creation vs evolution? We know something happened to cause an evolutionary jump from apes to man what if the spark was "god's" creation? Sort of along the lines of ok that species has evolved enough let's try giving doing this to them. Both creation and evolution have holes in it for me such as the missing link which makes me wonder if.....

16 hours ago, Reevesy said:

Would that not mean he was a drug dealer rather than a junkie, or am I picking you up wrong?

He just wanted to say something nasty and tripped over himself.

Never been a drug dealer or a junky (if that needs saying).

15 hours ago, Larky Masher said:

What an absolutely c*ntish statement to make.

It's not... In a perfect world there wouldn't be any cancer. We, however, live in an imperfect world.

15 hours ago, Parklife said:

Scotty has started a thread and is telling us: 

- Unless we believe what he does, we're sinnners and are going to hell

1. We are all sinners. 2. If you knowingly, willingly, reject God, then yes, you will end up in hell (and that's true whether I ever existed or not).

(If you are absolutely convinced that that isn't true, then it shouldn't bother you the littlest bit.)

- Kids get cancer because they are sinners

Blair... Play fair... (First page... )

"I don't know how people get cancer but I know that if something happens, then God has allowed it."

16 hours ago, Parklife said:

But whatever he's done in the past is okay because he loves Jesus. 

Sin is never OK, but repentance and the free gift of salvation is open to everyone.

Because of my faith in Jesus Christ my sins (past, present, and future) have been forgiven and I will not be judged for them.

The penalty of my sins was bore on the cross by Jesus so that I wouldn't have to.

It was the single greatest act of love that the world has ever known.

(You are free to mock that, ignore that, spit on it, or embrace it.)

16 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I don't think thats what he said

I don't agree with Scotty but fair play to him for sticking to his beliefs, he's taken stick from all ends...............some of it OTT too

:wink2:

Nah, he dodged the question and said "Cancer only exisits because of sin". 

A shitebag as well as a religious fundamentalist. 

Can you quote the question I dodged? 

Scotty is also the one one that said he was a sinner. 

I'm a wretch. 

I'm not on here judging anyone btw.

We probably don't have the same definition of 'judging'.

A shitebag as well as a religious fundamentalist. 

You were definitely nicer in person. :lol:

(And it's 'Christian Fundamentalist' as in, I believe in the fundamentals of Christianity... Loving your neighbour like yourself, for example... )

12 hours ago, they've_been_suckered said:

In my experience most people who are overly religious are social outcasts. 

I'm not even religious let alone overly religious.

12 hours ago, they've_been_suckered said:

The world would be a better place without religion. 

Agreed.

23 minutes ago, Scotty CTA said:

1. We are all sinners. 2. If you knowingly, willingly, reject God, then yes, you will end up in hell (and that's true whether I ever existed or not).

(If you are absolutely convinced that that isn't true, then it shouldn't bother you the littlest bit.)

Telling people they'll go to hell is just a dogmatic scare story.  It's brain-washed tripe and it should bother most right-minded people. 

16 hours ago, Goozay said:

You're right Scotty, I've never met you. However on here you have two main themes you consistently push - Jesus and crackpot conspiracy theories. 

Off the top of my head... Scotland, Aberdeen, Rangers, music, God/Jesus, satan, the Illuminati, JFK, 9/11, 7/7, truth/deception, numerology, moon landings, flat earth... So football, music, God, and conspiracies would be at least 4.

I'm particularly enjoying "the earth is flat" at the moment.

I wish that I had more time to devote to it.

Jesus Christ to me is one of the many characters that appear in The Bible.

The 39 Books of the Old Testament point to the coming Messiah, and the 27 Books of the New Testament reveal the Messiah. (It's all about Jesus.)

I understand he also gets a few mentions in The Qur'an.

Satan gets more bang for his efforts when he mixes truth and lies.

Finally, "All Christians go to heaven and everyone else goes to hell." is a pretty nasty philosophy I'd thank you to keep to yourself.

The most loving thing I can tell you is the truth. Anyone that rejects the God of the Bible will go to hell.

(Sometimes the only way to say that 'people used to get their hands cut off for stealing bread' is to say "People used to get their hands cut off for stealing bread.")

12 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

God = Sky Fairy. 

File under Tooth Fairy, My Little Mermaid and Superman. 

Shame is causes so many brainwashed nutjobs to kill each other (and innocent bystanders)

Not with Bible-believing Christianity.

I wouldn't worship a god that would 'reward' me for killing myself and as many enemies as possible.

12 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I think he's back on the Don Revie. 

Clean and sober, happy and content.

11 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Must have baws like watermelons.

You're commenting on the courage of my convictions? :wink2:

10 hours ago, phart said:

So much projected anger over someones beliefs.

I take people out of their comfort zone.

(The truth has a way of doing that.)

The abuse has all been factored in (and I'm fine with it).

Folk don't want to think about death, and certainly not their spirit separating from their bodies at death.

But since there are eternal consequences to our decisions... out of love... I would (at least) like folk to understand what they are rejecting.

Everyone so certain.

I am. (boom tish)

No one knows. Not one member of our species has ever known.

Stephen, John, and Paul all saw heaven.

You believe that book is true which is stupid, so let me psychoanalyze you from posts on a message board cause that's a much more rational course of action.

It's an uphill battle, but they're worth it to me. 

10 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Eleven? :yikes3: We'e doomed. Should I go out and spend all my money on booze, drugs and fast women?

You should repent.

(Physical death isn't the end.)

10 hours ago, Eisegerwind said:

I think you'll find Scotty knows.

I believe God... and He knows.

9 hours ago, Eisegerwind said:

I don't think he thinks he knows,I think he thinks he knows

I know.

2 hours ago, hunchy said:

Totally agree with you on certainty. The only certain thing in life is death

What's death?

Agree with the poster above who gave respect to Scotty. We might not agree with his beliefs or his preaching but you have to respect his unwaivering faith

Appreciated! God Bless!

Sorry Scotty forgot my thoughts on creation/evolution. Don't know how many times I wrote the post lol

Creation vs evolution? We know something happened to cause an evolutionary jump from apes to man what if the spark was "god's" creation? Sort of along the lines of ok that species has evolved enough let's try giving doing this to them. 

The problem is that it isn't what He told us in His Word.

Besides, a god needing millions and millions (billions?) of years (boring!) and one who would change his mind and/or figure it out as he goes along, could hardly be God.

The God of the Bible simply spoke the universe into being. (He is that powerful!)

Both creation and evolution have holes in it for me such as the missing link which makes me wonder if.....

What do you feel are some of the holes in creation?

Two of the questions I like to ask evolutionists are...

1. Where do the billions and billions of complex pieces of information in DNA come from?

2. Can you name one beneficial mutation?

59 minutes ago, OLAS said:

Telling people they'll go to hell is just a dogmatic scare story.  It's brain-washed tripe and it should bother most right-minded people. 

I'm not following... Tripe should bother most right-minded folk?

How does that make any sense?

I'm not scared of anything that isn't real.

(I thought that that would be universal.)

Unless...

5 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

Of course it'll bother people. In the same way any false accusation or comment on someones character will bother folk, being told "you're going to hell" will bother people. 

Blair... Play fair... (First page... )

"I don't know how people get cancer but I know that if something happens, then God has allowed it."

And if there was no sin, there would be no cancer. So good is punishing innocent children for the sins of others? Sounds like a swell guy :ok: 

Because of my faith in Jesus Christ my sins (past, present, and future) have been forgiven and I will not be judged for them.

Sweet deal. I can see why loads of convicts find faith. Do what you want then have faith in Jesus, you don't have to feel so bad about it and can go to heaven. Meanwhile, folk who haven't killed anyone or raped kids or performed other abhorrent goes to hell. 

Sounds like a shockingly poorly reasoned, rational and equitable codes of ethics... But i guess that's what will happen if you live your life by the words in a book that's thousands of years old. 

4 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

You were definitely nicer in person. :lol:

(And it's 'Christian Fundamentalist' as in, I believe in the fundamentals of Christianity... Loving your neighbour like yourself, for example... )

I'm a very nice person but i'm afraid i find some of the things you say pretty unpleasant. If you'd said these things to me in person, i'd have given you the same response. 

19 hours ago, they've_been_suckered said:

In my experience most people who are overly religious are social outcasts. 

The world would be a better place without religion. 

Post of the thread.

Throughout mankind's history look at the hundreds of wars and religion is behind a lot of them. The world we live in now is haunted by terrorism fired by religion. If you had no religion the world would be a far better, safer place.

Religion is man made. Anything that's man made is done for money and power.  I hate religion but think wars would happen with or without it, the powerful people would have blonde people going to war with brunettes if it fitted their agenda. 

Oh and as for the afterlife I imagine it'll be exactly as it was before you were born, remember that? - hope I'm wrong tho :)

18 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

Oh and as for the afterlife I imagine it'll be exactly as it was before you were born, remember that? - hope I'm wrong tho :)

As well as dreamless sleep

That's death that is

If there were no religion, we would have to invent it. Again.

Of course there'd be wars. Humans just don't like other humans who dare to be different, be it colour, creed, country or political ideology.

On the plus side, religion has been at the root of some of the greatest art - figurative, literary, musical - that has ever been created. I've just been reading Eliot's Four Quartets for the umpteenth time. It's an incredible piece of work, and shot through with a profound faith. The best English poetry of the last hundred years.

I'm reading Thomas the tank books to my wee boy. They are all wee stories about a train being a "really useful engine", usually with a point about not judging others, being kind, listening to others.....

Thats kind of how I see the bible, wee stories with an underlying moral.

Im not particularly against the bible being used to teach people to be a better person, but it is just fairy stories in my opinion.

43 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Thats kind of how I see the bible, wee stories with an underlying moral.

Im not particularly against the bible being used to teach people to be a better person,

Yeah, it's full of lovely passages about how to be a better person like Leviticus 20:13:

"If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them."

Warms the cockles. 

6 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Yeah, it's full of lovely passages about how to be a better person like Leviticus 20:13:

"If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them."

Warms the cockles. 

I was going to add a caveat.

:lol:

My general point still stands though, it's fairy stories that have an underlying message, albeit the one you've highlighted isn't a very progressive one (although given 20 years ago, let alone 2000 that view was still widely held)

Just now, sbcmfc said:

I was going to add a caveat.

:lol:

My general point still stands though, it's fairy stories that have an underlying message, albeit the one you've highlighted isn't a very progressive one (although given 20 years ago, let alone 2000 that view was still widely held)

But surely you either heed what the bible says and go with it all, or believe none of it? After all, if it is all God's word, then who are we to only listen to some of it?

I'd never point a child towards the bible as a way of teaching them morals or right and wrong.