Thoughts and Questions About God - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Thoughts and Questions About God

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

Absolutely!

What is your worldview?

I did say open mind Scotty I just don't think you have that but I'll try

Ok where to start. Most religions basically same the same thing or have the same core, be good to others, don't break the rules, murder is bad etc, We know that Christianity, Islam and judaism all stem from the same branch. They are all the sons of Abraham. Could it be that other religions stem from the same line only from an earlier time. History has become so muddled the further back you go that we don't know what has been lost. The best way I can describe it is like 3 people (representing the 3 religions at the start) sitting round a mountain they all see the same mountain but each looks at a different view of the mountain.

The Bible talks about man being created in his image. Most people take that litteraly as in 2 arms 2 legs etc but what if it means something else, what if it's talking about our free will, our curiosity or even our ability to adapt and evolve. Maybe man was given something/changed that caused him to evolve from ape to man

, every religion has a story of a cleansing of the earth, the flood in the Bible, a great fire in abourigonal and some African religions etc.In many religions there are similarities the aztects believed they were visited by 12 bearded white men who gave them knowledge the Bible has Jesus who is seen as being bearded other religions talk of a being giving knowledge who was tall, bearded white could they be talking about the same person. If so how does he appear in so many areas in so many different times? 

A lot of ancient paintings show what could be alien beings/craft. We are told they are not it's just a design or its something else but what if it is aliens. Our ancestors would see these beings as all powerful and over time could easily become god like figures could this have given rise to the white bearded figures depicted in religion? Could they be the messengers of a supreme being?

Hope you can make sense of my thoughts it's hard to condense it down to put in a post. As I said before I don't have the answers only thoughts and observations 

There is more credibility to extraterrestrial visitation than there is with any sort of supreme beings creating everything then deciding what happens.

The human species are less than a baw hair on the timeline of the Universe and as someone really clever stated recently the beings on this planet that witness the sun burning out will be as close to humans as we are to the first single celled life of 480 million years ago.

It is a certain kind of deluded arrogance that asserts the universe was created so humans could exist.

3 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

You do know what it takes for a scientific theory to become just that ?

I know what it takes for theory to become theorem. 

Surely it is you that claims to have all the answers ? (with absolutely no evidence whatsoever)

God has all the answers... I just believe Him by faith

Is there any real point in answering in this debate ?

Of course.

if 'hunchy' posts his worldview then anyone on the board can ask him questions, and feel free to agree or disagree.

That's how a message board is supposed to work.

(Folk will need to share their take on 'the meaning of life' though.)

3 hours ago, Eisegerwind said:

You do realise you're not just thinking that, you've actually typed that out and posted it on an internet forum.

Absolutely. And I stand by it.

1 hour ago, hunchy said:

I did say open mind Scotty I just don't think you have that but I'll try

I've had my mind changed on things like evolution, JFK, 9/11, and now the flat earth.

Those things only happened because I accepted new information that changed where I stood on the matter.

(Thank you for doing this, btw!)

1 hour ago, hunchy said:

Ok where to start. Most religions basically same the same thing or have the same core, be good to others, don't break the rules, murder is bad etc,

Judaism, Islam, Roman Catholicism, etc, are religions. They say 'do' to 'earn' your way to heaven. They are 'works' based.

Christianity is faith based. God has said "done"... just believe in your heart.

2 hours ago, hunchy said:

We know that Christianity, Islam and judaism all stem from the same branch. They are all the sons of Abraham.

Yes, both the Jews and the Christians use the Old Testament, but the Muslims only use (I believe) The Torah and The Psalms.

Could it be that other religions stem from the same line only from an earlier time.

Just to follow you... Where do you stand on evolution and creation? What's the beginning?

History has become so muddled the further back you go that we don't know what has been lost. The best way I can describe it is like 3 people (representing the 3 religions at the start) sitting round a mountain they all see the same mountain but each looks at a different view of the mountain.

I use a similar analogy for the information contained in the 4 Gospels.

Imagine 4 different camera angle video recordings of a goal in football.

All 4 recordings are true, but each may contain similar information, or information that the other recordings don't have.

(For example, only having one angle showing that the ball definitely went over the line wouldn't make the other angles untrue.)

The Bible talks about man being created in his image. Most people take that litteraly as in 2 arms 2 legs etc but what if it means something else, what if it's talking about our free will, our curiosity or even our ability to adapt and evolve. Maybe man was given something/changed that caused him to evolve from ape to man

God would be spirit/pure light, so I agree that it means something else. My take is that since Adam was God-breathed, we too have eternal spirits.

...every religion has a story of a cleansing of the earth, the flood in the Bible, a great fire in abourigonal and some African religions etc.

The flood was God's judgement on a wicked world.

Were the other 'cleansings' similar?

In many religions there are similarities the aztects believed they were visited by 12 bearded white men who gave them knowledge the Bible has Jesus who is seen as being bearded other religions talk of a being giving knowledge who was tall, bearded white could they be talking about the same person. If so how does he appear in so many areas in so many different times? 

Once Jesus humbled Himself and took on flesh, He was then bound by time and space and only ever appeared in one place at a time.

3 hours ago, hunchy said:

A lot of ancient paintings show what could be alien beings/craft. We are told they are not it's just a design or its something else but what if it is aliens. Our ancestors would see these beings as all powerful and over time could easily become god like figures could this have given rise to the white bearded figures depicted in religion? 

It begs the question... How would the aliens come into being? Evolution or creation?

3 hours ago, hunchy said:

Could they be the messengers of a supreme being?

Angels are messengers, but they don't fit the description you've suggested. 

The human species are less than a baw hair on the timeline of the Universe and as someone really clever stated recently the beings on this planet that witness the sun burning out will be as close to humans as we are to the first single celled life of 480 million years ago.

Not everyone subscribes to the impossible odds of evolution occurring given that the one thing it would hinge on (time) would directly oppose it.

It is a certain kind of deluded arrogance that asserts the universe was created so humans could exist.

God is neither deluded nor arrogant.

We exist because He exists.

5 hours ago, Boynze said:

So if you're wrong your answer is at least I tried? Do you think that will cut it with a spiteful, petty vindictive god (or god's) that you knowingly and willingly chose to ignore, in addition to seeking others to do the same?

All my eggs are in the only possible basket.

Something a genuinely don't understand. Scotty you say that only Christians can go to heaven? And that Hindus, Buddhist, Muslims etc are already doomed. The overwhelming majority of the population therfore have no chance and are dammed and they are all wrong and you are right. Is that any Christians or a particular sect. Do Protestants, Catholics, Mormons, Jahova's etc all get in?

Also when was the cut off? What about people who died before Christianity even spread to their countries and had no idea about Jesus. Also undiscovered tribes in the Amazon etc, doesn't seem fair on them. Why hasn't God told these people about him?

15 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Just give it up eh?

Your professions that there is a god just isn't working. You've been blown out more times than a wind-sock then you scurry away and flick through the pages of your bible for something to quote that only you think is the answer. All complete BS. I will never believe in any god when so much awfullness goes on in this world, where evil often triumphs over good, where there is so much pain and suffering and your only comeback is because people are sinners and are being punished even when some cases are still-born babies etc who never even drew breath to sin. You, my friend, are a lost cause - perhaps that is why you are a Rangers fan.

he's no a ranger's fan - Aberdeen & Scotland - Scott was in Gothenburg in 83 

12 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

Scotty CTA - "Would you accept this (standing in front of God) as proof that you were wrong about... oh... everything?"

Dawkins - ( ...silence... trembling... ...off the scale foreboding... )

Scotty CTA - "So... Romans 1:22 ("Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools") Apt, or what?"

Dawkins - "Wha... wha.. what happens next?"

Scotty CTA - "You know what happens next. And you see all of those people over there on the left? You played a HUGE role in many of them being here."

Dawkins - "OH MY GOD!!!" 

Scotty CTA - "I'm sorry. I really am, but it's too late. You not only knowingly, willingly, chose to reject God during your life, but you made it you life's work for others to do the same (and you'll have eternity to think about that).

Dawkins - "But I... (silence) but I... (inconsolable weeping)"

Scotty CTA - "I've got to go now... "

Jesus to the 'goats' - "Then He will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. I never knew you." Matthew 25:41 and Matthew 7:23

7 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

Absolutely. And I stand by it.

Gives a great insight into how your mind works. I'm using the terms 'mind' and 'works' in thier loosest sense.

21 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

I wouldn't worry, it's not like you are in the habit of hijacking various other threads by talking about religion all the time. 

I started working 15 hours a week with an 'after (plus breakfast !) school' club last August, and 3 days a week in class from January, in support of my application. Had a horrendous time with colds etc to begin with, even worse than we were getting from our own 2 wee monsters. I'm usually sceptical about 'alternative' medicine but took on some advice from older heads and starting taking a daily dose of each of Manuka honey, cod liver oil, and echinacea. Could be co-incidence, but have been pretty much cold free in the last 4 months.

There is no doubt that these supplements will be helping. Most people would benefit from taking a good multi-vitamin ever day. Lots of people do benefit from taking different supplements to help different needs that they have. 

One bit of advice, Krill Oil might be a better option that CLO. Much less after-taste and more effective too. 

Can you explain Matthew 16 vv.27-28?

"For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels, and then he shall reward every man according to his works. Verily I say unto you, there be some standing here which shall not taste of death till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom."

Surely Jesus very clearly and evidentially made a mistake here?

57 minutes ago, neil r said:

Why the hell does anyone even give any time to this maniac?

There are some people on this thread who really should know better.

Agreed

I said it myself a few posts back but then keep biting lol

It's clearly a sort of insanity mixed with the fear of death

34 minutes ago, Goozay said:

Hi Scotty,

When did you get your faith?

Was there any particular catalyst or catalysts?

What did you believe before you got your faith?

What were you like before you got your faith?

Think he was a junky, complicit in the suffering and likely death of hundreds. 

2 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Agreed

I said it myself a few posts back but then keep biting lol

It's clearly a sort of insanity mixed with the fear of death

While he will no doubt claim it for his 'god', this is his ultimate self aggradising thread.

It really is scary people like him still exist. It's dark ages stuff

Edited by neil r

3 hours ago, neil r said:

Wanted to say something similar but all you end up doing is contributing to the thread and bumping it (like this ?)

18 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

Not everyone subscribes to the impossible odds of evolution occurring given that the one thing it would hinge on (time) would directly oppose it.

Bonkers new age creationists ?

Should give this a call and let us see the video

I'm sure you would test them

http://atheist-experience.com/

can even watch it live

Edited by Ally Bongo

13 hours ago, iainmac1 said:

0/10 for spelling. It's s-a-n-t-a.  You have the n in the wrong place.

I typed it that way (with the apostrophes) to show that it was the same letters rearranged. (Like the NASA logo with the serpent tongue as the stylised 'T'.)

nasa-medres-1470792281.jpg

Something a genuinely don't understand. Scotty you say that only Christians can go to heaven? 

2Q==2Q==Only those that believe in their hearts through faith that Jesus is exactly Who He said He is will go to heaven.

And that Hindus, Buddhist, Muslims etc are already doomed. 

Satan has his greatest success in false belief systems.

Once they are adopted, they run by themselves with Jews having baby Jews, Muslims having baby Muslims, Hindus having baby Hindus, etc.

(Christians can't have baby Christians btw.)

There's the cults... and then there's atheism for those that reject the supernatural. (And atheists tend to have atheists... )

The overwhelming majority of the population therfore have no chance and are dammed and they are all wrong and you are right. 

Yes... there is hope, but things don't bode well for the majority.

Matthew 7 "13 “Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. 14 For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few.

Folk want to believe that different answers should count equally, but similar to the question of "What is 2+2?" there can only be one correct answer.

Is that any Christians or a particular sect. Do Protestants, Catholics, Mormons, Jahova's etc all get in?

ANY PERSON who believes by faith that Jesus Christ is exactly Who He says He is will be saved.

14 hours ago, iainmac1 said:

Also when was the cut off? 

The cut off is when you die.

Were your sins completely forgiven during your life, or will you carry them into the next where you will futilely be unable to pay for them?

14 hours ago, iainmac1 said:

What about people who died before Christianity even spread to their countries and had no idea about Jesus. Also undiscovered tribes in the Amazon etc, doesn't seem fair on them. Why hasn't God told these people about him?

https://www.gotquestions.org/saved-general-revelation.html

14 hours ago, euan2020 said:

he's no a ranger's fan - Aberdeen & Scotland - Scott was in Gothenburg in 83 

He kens fine. It was meant to be an insult.

13 hours ago, neil r said:

:lol:

(It's like when folk go on the 'Cricket' thread and tell off the people discussing cricket that they shouldn't like cricket because they don't like cricket.)

The forum is 'Anything Goes'.

You don't even have to open the thread if it upsets you so.

14 hours ago, neil r said:

Said the faceless bully trying to lump on the peer pressure.

13 hours ago, Boynze said:

Another question, did Jesus rape his own mother before he was even born so he could be born and then commit suicide to forgive our sins?

The God of the Bible is a Triune God... or a Trinity.

Each member of the Godhead is equally God individually, and collectively they are God.

One Godhead with three distinct personalities.

The Person of God The Holy Spirit was the One Who was responsible for Mary becoming pregnant with Jesus.

13 hours ago, Goozay said:

Hi Scotty,

Hi Goozay.  Thank you for your questions.

When did you get your faith?

This April 15th will be 11 years since I put down my last beer, stopped doing drugs, stopped having sex outside marriage, and went back to church.

Was there any particular catalyst or catalysts?

I was fed up with 'chasing the horizon'. Satisfaction was only temporary. I wasn't content.

Sin hadn't lived up to it's billing. It took me further than I wanted to go, and made me spend more than I wanted to pay.

What did you believe before you got your faith?

I'm a prodigal son.

I went to Sunday School and then other Christian Youth Groups till I was around 16.

Started drinking at house parties as a teen... one thing led to another... and I was 'in the world' for the next 28 years.

What were you like before you got your faith?

My focus was on myself.

What I wanted to do... What I wanted to have... Where I wanted to go...