Scottish Cup Weekend - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Cup Weekend

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

46 minutes ago, OLAS said:

Awaiting Derek McInnes showing his disappointment that Aberdeen have an extra day rest before the game on Sunday.   He must be disgusted like last time.

Mr McInnes always gets our midweek games moved to Tuesdays as it fits our training schedule.

1 hour ago, deecie said:

Mr McInnes always gets our midweek games moved to Tuesdays as it fits our training schedule.

I shall have to keep a note of that in my diary for next season. I would hate to mistakenly miss The Famous Glasgow Rangers' midweek games.

Are the Sheep worried about Sunday's game?  Some decent players our, unable to break down Hamilton... 

Most Thistle fans are, I'd expect. It's not one we expected to win after the draw. 

6/1 Thistle is great odds, but this might be the game our run comes to an end. Think we also did 4 or 5 wins in a row last season about this time.

Can't see too many goals. 10 games, 8 clean sheets for us. Impressive for any team.  Aberdeen are scoring but struggling with it. 

Archibald and the team have impressed this season with new formations. 

Wouldn't surprise me if we had a non-televised replay. 

5 minutes ago, OLAS said:

Are the Sheep worried about Sunday's game?  Some decent players our, unable to break down Hamilton... 

Most Thistle fans are, I'd expect. It's not one we expected to win after the draw. 

6/1 Thistle is great odds, but this might be the game our run comes to an end. Think we also did 4 or 5 wins in a row last season about this time.

Can't see too many goals. 10 games, 8 clean sheets for us. Impressive for any team.  Aberdeen are scoring but struggling with it. 

0-1 Thistle. I expect a similar game to Tuesday night tbh. 

19 minutes ago, Parklife said:

0-1 Thistle. I expect a similar game to Tuesday night tbh. 

I doubt that. Aberdeen will have a lot of the ball but we're keen to keep it, too. 

Hamilton's game-plan worked perfectly, but they were very lucky.  They'll probably never do that again. 

Although our defense has been phenomenal recently, I don't think we could cope with the same onslaught.

Unless we also got lucky or scored more. 

Have been really impressed with us over the past few months and this is one of the best Thistle teams I've [not physically, yet] witnessed.  

Wish I was even quietly confident, but not. 

Think we would have a better chance at home. 

1 minute ago, OLAS said:

I doubt that. Aberdeen will have a lot of the ball but we're keen to keep it, too. 

Hamilton's game-plan worked perfectly, but they were very lucky.  They'll probably never do that again. 

Although our defense has been phenomenal recently, I don't think we could cope with the same onslaught.

Unless we also got lucky or scored more. 

Have been really impressed with us over the past few months and this is one of the best Thistle teams I've [not physically, yet] witnessed.  

Wish I was even quietly confident, but not. 

Think we would have a better chance at home. 

I meant similar in that i'd expect us to dominate the ball and the territory but not to be clinical enough. Rather than for the actual style of the match to be similar. Partick will be dangerous on the counter and will take one of their chances. We';ll shite it and start lumping long balls in to the box (ala Tuesday) and fail to get a breakthrough. 

Unless Hayes is back. If Hayes is back i reckon we'll win. 

On 28/02/2017 at 9:52 PM, thewolf_1980 said:

I shall have to keep a note of that in my diary for next season. I would hate to mistakenly miss The Famous Glasgow Rangers' midweek games.

If I was a the rangers fan I'd be glad if it missed there games

1 hour ago, OLAS said:

Aside from Parkhead, Aberdeen have pretty much dominated every single one of our last 12 games. Hardly struggling.

Saying that, injuries have undoubtedly changed the dynamic and I agree with the assessment that this will be a tight game that could be decided by one goal or go to a replay.

Without Hayes, we're not the same team. We become one-dimensional and struggle to create clear cut chances...à la Tuesday night. We don't even have the option of bringing on Stockley, as he's injured as well, so we're even more reliant on McGinn and Rooney.

I don't think there's any rocket science or state secret about what Thistle will try to do....keep the game tight as a duck's arse for 30 minutes, and wait for frustration to creep in and for the Dons to run out of ideas. If they can sneak a goal like Hamilton did, even better for them.

I wouldn't be too concerned with a replay, we're a decent team away from home and Hayes will be back.

For some reason though, I have a sneaky feeling that Pawlett will play a part in this. I'll go for a scrappy 1-0 win for the Dons with Pawlett scoring, but it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if it was 0-0, 1-1 or even 1-0 to Thistle.

All bases covered there then... :lol:

Edited by Rossy

3 minutes ago, GRBear said:

Really should be beating Hamilton comfortably. However, with it being a cup tie it will probably be quite tight.

2-1 Rangers.

The two Rangers season ticket holders in my office said they'd happily lose to Hamilton, in order to avoid a pasting from Celtic in the next round. 

7 minutes ago, Parklife said:

The two Rangers season ticket holders in my office said they'd happily lose to Hamilton, in order to avoid a pasting from Celtic in the next round. 

well hopefully we'll get Aberdeen or Hibs in the Semis so we at least get the final appearance dosh :P

17 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I can't get my head around that tbh. A potential semi final will be the 5th or 6th time we've played them this season. You'd think they'd even use the law of averages to find something to cling to.

Also our semi final record hasn't been great in recent years, albeit that was before we had Sinclair, Dembele and Rodgers.

4 hours ago, Parklife said:

Eeerr. I hope you put them right that they're not actually in the next round yet.

51 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

I think that's the point they were making....

I think JJ was pointing out that CELTIC aren't in the next round yet Fairbairn not Rangers.

Speaking of which, in the spirit of Olas's question to the Sheep, any Celtic supporters worried about Sunday's game? ?

Edited by Marky

21 hours ago, Rossy said:

For some reason though, I have a sneaky feeling that Pawlett will play a part in this. I'll go for a scrappy 1-0 win for the Dons with Pawlett scoring

That wouldn't surprise me at all and I'll have a wee nibble on that for fun. 

We are horrendously bad at scoring early.   Only recently we've got this habit, if you can call twice a habit.    

Anyway,  'mon the Accies.    Sky doing their best to undermine them by getting Lambie out and giving Adrian Sprott a mention at every opportunity. 

"Former Celtic player, Donati and Rangers fan Crawford".     Thank fukk I'm not paying for the subscription.