Tommy Gemmell - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I was thinking about tommy gemmill when i read about Billy McNeil.

Apparently he moved into the sheltered housing across the road from my dad and when i was back for my dads funeral last January someone had said he was in a bad way. I can't remember if it was his joints and he had problems walking or if had Alzheimers or Dementia.

I suppose this is going to become more common as players from the 60s and 70s and even 80s start to pass away, as we know a lot more about them than any earlier players.

Having said that, as a Lisbon Lion and goalscorer in a European cup final, Tommy Gemmell can certainly be classed as a legend at Celtic and beyond.

(strangely I thought I saw him in Rutherglen last week, but based on the reports on his health, I presume I was mistaken)

4 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I suppose this is going to become more common as players from the 60s and 70s and even 80s start to pass away, as we know a lot more about them than any earlier players.

Having said that, as a Lisbon Lion and goalscorer in  TWO European cup finals, Tommy Gemmell can certainly be classed as a legend at Celtic and beyond.

(strangely I thought I saw him in Rutherglen last week, but based on the reports on his health, I presume I was mistaken)

Fixed for you :)

4 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Having said that, as a Lisbon Lion and goalscorer in a European cup final, Tommy Gemmell can certainly be classed as a legend at Celtic and beyond.

Goalscorer in 2 European Cup finals.

I was actually wondering about how he was doing recently when he was mentioned in the ex-footballers thread. Sad news indeed.

He could regularly be seen between the Iron Horse and the bookies next door to it :)

I had heard that he was sadly in a care home when we were discussing Billy McNeill last week

His daughter came to my school when i was in 4th year i think - must have been when he moved back from Dundee to Lanarkshire

She was stunning 

11 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Goalscorer in 2 European Cup finals.

Have any other Scotsmen done that,,,,?  In fact how many other Scots have scored in EC finals...   Dalgliesh Surely?

1 hour ago, stocky said:

Have any other Scotsmen done that,,,,?  In fact how many other Scots have scored in EC finals...   Dalgliesh Surely?

Dalglish and John Robertson the only other Scots to grab a single goal so Tommy will keep his record for a long time...

3 hours ago, stocky said:

Gemmell was one of only two British players to have scored in two Euro Cup finals with Phil Neal the other. 

Edited by Ormond

21 hours ago, macy37 said:

The word legend gets thrown about but Tommy is a true legend and a huge one at that. Sad news about one of my club's greats. RIP Mr Gemmell. 

The phrase "the word legend gets thrown about" really does get thrown about often.