Dundee Leaving Dens? - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Dundee Leaving Dens?

1 hour ago, Ormond said:

Is the Dens footprint a saleable asset? I can't imagine anybody wanting to develop at a decent price as that area is a total shitehole.

Not Dundee's to sell but yes, as likely permissions would allow construction to at least heights matching surrounds which make very viable for numbers of housing units which could go on the site.

Ground owner knew what he was doing when purchased maybe....?

Just now, black'n'tan said:

Not Dundee's to sell but yes, as likely permissions would allow construction to at least heights matching surrounds which make very viable for numbers of housing units which could go on the site.

Ground owner knew what he was doing when purchased maybe....?

Who owns the ground now?

17 hours ago, adamntg said:

How are Dundee gonna find this?  Tombola?  Race night?

that's what I don't get with any proposed stadium move. whats the minimum for say a £10k seater matchbox stadium?

£10m ? where is that coming from?  any plan like this needs to be a combined effort with regional and probably national support. just cant see it.

Many thanks to the resident Dundee experts, who all seem to be Arabs :lol:

Couple of points they are out on, namely:

Building on Dens

Dens isn’t suitable for large scale development or so the stories go. The South Enclosure is on built up group with the story being the soil testing has been done but it’s not suitable to build any residential units on. Yes the rest would be and should be a large enough scale for Mr Bennett to recover his outlay.

New Stadium

Would be built by the owners or majority lead by them, with this sort of thing being their background, where they made their name and money in. Worth noting that the plan isn’t 100% about the match day use, as a bit like Tannadice, the current stadium use outside of match day is VERY limited. The owners have already purchased the ground and are currently reviewing different stadia around the UK, to understand what plans to submit, to achieve a 24/7 use, i.e. the structure hosting more than just 90 minutes of football. They’ve done similar things in and around Dundee with the building of community based activities being ran out of ‘Showcase the Street’, which currently includes the hosting of the youth academy etc.

So its looking like a similar ‘deal’ to the current one, where one entity holds the lease and one is the football club – its got pluses and minuses IMO but does look a more likely way forward than remaining as current. A good example of this would probably be St Johnstone, as they can generate more income from non-football use of their stadia than match day only.

37 minutes ago, DeeRus said:

So its looking like a similar ‘deal’ to the current one, where one entity holds the lease and one is the football club – its got pluses and minuses IMO but does look a more likely way forward than remaining as current. A good example of this would probably be St Johnstone, as they can generate more income from non-football use of their stadia than match day only.

Bearing in mind we own our ground fully though giving us 100% of the profits.

2 hours ago, Ormond said:

Bearing in mind we own our ground fully though giving us 100% of the profits.

And you owned Muirton which meant Asda built a new stadium for you.  

I don't think I'd be happy seeing United going down the sugar daddy route - Eddie Thompson wasn't a roaring success - but I'd like to see us involved in any new stadium being built in Dundee. 

1 minute ago, adamntg said:

And you owned Muirton which meant Asda built a new stadium for you.  

I don't think I'd be happy seeing United going down the sugar daddy route - Eddie Thompson wasn't a roaring success - but I'd like to see us involved in any new stadium being built in Dundee. 

Muirton's footprint was an extremely sellable asset as has been proved considering Asda still thrive on that same spot today. Asda never built a new ground for us at all. They purchased our land from us for 5 million. That money was in Saints coffers which was used to build a new ground. 

Just now, Ormond said:

Muirton's footprint was an extremely sellable asset as has been proved considering Asda still thrive on that same spot today. Asda never built a new ground for us at all. They purchased our land from us for 5 million. That money was in Saints coffers which was used to build a new ground. 

Ah right.  Same net effect though, no?

1 hour ago, Ormond said:

The land for your new ground was given to you free was it not by a farmer? McDiarmid no?

Don't mean anything by that btw, just what I thought happened. 

2 minutes ago, ShedTA said:

The land for your new ground was given to you free was it not by a farmer? McDiarmid no?

Don't mean anything by that btw, just what I thought happened. 

Yes, that's true. He was an old lifelong Saints fan.