Sacked by the Same Club Twice or More - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Sacked by the Same Club Twice or More

Steve McLaren booted out by Derby tonight for the second time.

Any other managers that were sacked, re-hired and then fired again by the same club ?

Doesn't count if they resigned or where poached by another club. "Mutual consent" is acceptable though.

2002/3 was one of our worst ever seasons under Mick Wadsworth, & we were facing liquidation as well. After one dismal game & a demo outside the main entrance, the chairman announced he'd been sacked. Within hours he was re-hired though because the club realised they didn't have the money to pay him off. We then successfully sacked him near the end of the season.

Conversely, we also once failed to hire a manager in spite of having called the press conference where he was to be unveiled...the Phil Parkinson empty chair incident:

andrew-watson-and-ken-davy-353164623JPG.

Edited by Huddersfield

Wasn't there a manager at Hearts during the Romanov era who went back after previously being sacked? Or did he go back into another position within the club and then also find himself relieved of those duties? The name Valdas Ivanuskas is popping into my head for some reason but perhaps i'm getting confused and am totally wrong.

1 hour ago, morrie21 said:

Wasn't there a manager at Hearts during the Romanov era who went back after previously being sacked? Or did he go back into another position within the club and then also find himself relieved of those duties? The name Valdas Ivanuskas is popping into my head for some reason but perhaps i'm getting confused and am totally wrong.

George Burley 23px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.png Scotland 30 June 2005 21 October 2005 12 9 1 2 75.00   [7]
John McGlynn 23px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.png Scotland 21 October 2005 8 November 2005 4 3 0 1 75.00   (Caretaker)[8]
Graham Rix 23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png England 8 November 2005 22 March 2006 19 9 6 4 47.37   [9]
Valdas Ivanauskas 23px-Flag_of_Lithuania.svg.png Lithuania 22 March 2006 23 October 2006 28 14 5 9 50.00 Scottish CupWinners 2006 [10]
Eduard Malofeyev 23px-Flag_of_Belarus.svg.png Belarus 23 October 2006 14 November 2006 4 0 2 2 0   (Caretaker)[11]
Eugenijus Riabovas 23px-Flag_of_Lithuania.svg.png Lithuania 14 November 2006 1 December 2006 2 0 1 1 0   [12]
Valdas Ivanauskas 23px-Flag_of_Lithuania.svg.png Lithuania 1 December 2006 2 March 2007 14 7 3 4 50.00   [10]
Anatoly Korobochka 23px-Flag_of_Ukraine.svg.png Ukraine 2 March 2007 1 January 2008 33 13 14 6 39.40   (Caretaker)[13]
Stephen Frail 23px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.png Scotland 1 January 2008 9 July 2008 21 8 5 8 38.10   [14]

Valdas Ivanauskas?

1 hour ago, morrie21 said:

I don't think Valdes was sacked, I think he had the vlad flu and was given 'leave' and then reinstated a few months later after it was clear Malofeyev and Riabovas hadn't a fecking clue

But like many things during the Romanov era I am not sure what to believe.

Did Jim Jefferies not get booted twice by hertz?

Seem to remember him losing his job after the mighty Hibernian fc put six past his mob, thinking that Gordan Petric was capable of man marking Russell Latapy wasn't Grim Jim's greatest decision

He went to Bradford, then an EPL side, after leaving Hearts the first time, don't think he was sacked. If he did leave in a protest about players being sold (I remember it as him resigning because he'd been offered a top league job down south to be honest, but could very well be wrong) that's ironic though as the Chairman at Bradford used him to sell any decent players they had.