Are we up for this game - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Are we up for this game

bonny78

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Worked well with Strachan.....

It did indeed. We started the last campaign reasonably well. A draw away to Poland and home win vs Ireland. It was after that it all went to shit. 

8 minutes ago, bonny78 said:

It just is.

A look at some of the squads who made Euro 2016 would suggest otherwise. We have players better than, or at least as good as, many of them. This group has the potential to do better than we are currently. We just have a manager who is failing to get the best out of them.

21 minutes ago, Reevesy said:

A look at some of the squads who made Euro 2016 would suggest otherwise. We have players better than, or at least as good as, many of them. This group has the potential to do better than we are currently. We just have a manager who is failing to get the best out of them.

I cant think of these players.

16 minutes ago, Reevesy said:

Do you think Northern Ireland have a better squad than ours? 

He's at the wind up mate. He's in another thread asking what tactics we can employ to stop England then in here he's saying it's the players not good enough. Probably doesn't know what day of the week it is.

12 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

opening myself up to a few hits here but do you think our support has become boring? I do! The songs have stopped with the exception of two or three which includes the national anthem. There's no real edge to the support anymore, over the years we've played on the BFIW tag and forgot about the football.

We have no songs . 

Guest allyc

We are absolutely shit...thats why.no feel good factor about the support cos it reflects what being played out on the pitch.different if we actually threatened to qualify again.

Edited by allyc

Only really starting to think about the Slovenia game today, which is about one month later than normal for me when we have a qualifier on the calendar.

I think I've two different reasons..

One is that the Six Nations has just finished, and the rugby team have been brilliant (barring the England game) and just far more worthy of the support.

The other is that the negativiity of the Scotland fans on this forum (combined with the shite performances) had me needing to take a break from caring about the football team for about the last 3 months. It's been a nice time off, but hopefully a win on Sunday and I'm right back to dreaming about the World Cup again.

22 hours ago, kumnio said:

There's over 7 billion people in this planet, there's no doubt there are many who would do a better job than Strachan. 

People who say who will we get who is better, who will be interested, grow a set. 

There is no doubt that there are people who can do a better job but it is getting those people  [or one of them] to take the job.

Either through nationality     or financially   .

So trying to get someone who would basically be doing the job  for the "love of Scotland"  is thinning your 7 billion down !!!!! 

22 hours ago, kumnio said:

There's over 7 billion people in this planet, there's no doubt there are many who would do a better job than Strachan. 

People who say who will we get who is better, who will be interested, grow a set. 

I still can't believe how many people are totally opposed to the concept of getting a foreigner in as manager.

And the arguments they use against it are stupid - "just because..." or "we had a foreigner years ago and he wiz pish so there..." or "we cannae abandon our traditions...".

Apparently for the sake of an obsolete principle we have to end up with McInnes or Moyes who will continue to use the same conservative match tactics and selection policies that have held us back for years.

39 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I still can't believe how many people are totally opposed to the concept of getting a foreigner in as manager.

And the arguments they use against it are stupid - "just because..." or "we had a foreigner years ago and he wiz pish so there..." or "we cannae abandon our traditions...".

Apparently for the sake of an obsolete principle we have to end up with McInnes or Moyes who will continue to use the same conservative match tactics and selection policies that have held us back for years.

Berti vogts.  Nuff said 

Guest BlueGaz
3 minutes ago, bonny78 said:

Berti vogts.  Nuff said 

Thats his point though, because we had a bad experience once, why should it be like that again?  Just ensure its not Berti Vogts again, naw?  If we cant inject something new, something different, surely we will just plod along as we are now not really going anywhere?  

Lets remember - people here can put across all the fanciful names they want for the new manager and each you could make a very good case (probably) for getting the job. HOWEVER, lets just remember who is doing the hiring here shall we? The SFA. The same SFA that has run the sport into the ground for the last decade or two who cannot be trusted in the slightest. Next Scotland manager they elect will not be one that the fans would see as being up to the job.

I'd take a foreign manager right now as we need to shake things up. Go for somebody with different ideas about how the team should be set-up and a different philosophy on team selection and make-up. But again I hold out no hope of that happening with the SFA doing the hiring.

2 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

You can't understand why people would be against a non Scots manager for the SCOTTISH NATIONAL TEAM?

International football is supposed to be representative of your home country. I can see why people would have an issue with that. Same with players.

Would you have been OK with Nacho Novo or Didier Agathe playing for the first team when it was spoken about years ago? I know I wouldn't have been.

13 minutes ago, Reevesy said:

You can't understand why people would be against a non Scots manager for the SCOTTISH NATIONAL TEAM?

International football is supposed to be representative of your home country. I can see why people would have an issue with that. Same with players.

Would you have been OK with Nacho Novo or Didier Agathe playing for the first team when it was spoken about years ago? I know I wouldn't have been.

The players and the manager are two separate things. The pool of Scottish managers available to us is tiny and doesn't exactly fill one with confidence and excitement. The days of "world respected" Scottish managers are now over. We have to look elsewhere for a manager.

Why should we always be the exception and hold ourselves back ? Time to ditch these daft old attitudes.

The idea of one David Moyes, Derek McInnes, Paul Hartley, Steve Clarke or Dougie Freedman taking charge of our national team makes my heart sink. The only Scottish manager I warm to is Alex Neil but I don't know if he'd be interested, probably not.

So it's a foreign manager for me. And it wouldn't remotely bother me in the slightest if he's English.

They might be two separate things to you but maybe not others. I don't think it's fair to call it a "daft old attitude" to want a Scotsman to be in charge of Scotland. 

The point about not wanting a foreigner again because of Berti is ridiculous though, I agree. However I haven't seen anyone actually say that other than Bonny, and I get the impression he's not a serious poster and just constantly on the wind up.