Zagreb - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Zagreb

Tartan_Don

Stayed in a Bad Blue Boys' dead grannys apartment when over for a Scotland U19 tourney.  Fantastic trip!  Fantastic people!

Zagreb is a brilliant destination for Scotland games - one of the best. 

Came bouncing off the 6th train from Slovakia via Austria and Hungary a few stops early to be nearer the stadium... straight into an old man's pub on the platform full of Serbo-Croat war veterans.    Was only then I realised I had no Kunas... I only made the decision to travel early afternoon the day before and had been travelling since then.  Had no chance no get the cash.  

The old yins were more than happy to buy me a drink until the boys arrived and squared me up until I could get to a bank.    

Great first impressions of the people that would only get better. 

Boban's restaurant was very nice and not pricey :ok:

I stayed in the hotel Dubrovnik when we played them a few years ago, however looking on thier website now it must of been done up. It's on the main square. 

As Olas said, really friendly people and seemed to like the Scots. 

There's a couple areas made up of outdoor bars and restaurants off the square which get busy at night with a brilliant vibe.

There's not too much to do or see during the day. I went down to the sports park where they've got a man made beach with a water skiing machine and some cool bars. There's an open top bus that takes you round the city. 

You'll have a good time, weather is great and plenty of open air bars and restaurants. 

We stayed in the Hotel Dubrovnik too - really smart hotel, right in the centre and a steakhouse on the ground floor !

Edited to say Zagreb is still one of my favourite trips - brilliant place and amazing people

Edited by Fugitive

• 2 weeks later...