Leyton Orient In Crisis - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Leyton Orient In Crisis

This is a wee update on what leyton orient are going through at the moment.
If you want a quick and easy guide to what's been done to Leyton Orient, then this link is as good a place as any (and the writer is pretty good and funny) 

http://www.leytonorientblog.com/2017/03/an-open-letter-to-francisco-becchetti.html 

As I've said to one or two of you - Leyton Orient were founded in 1881 - now, some 136 years later, one rich Italian maniac is this close to leading the club into Liquidation. That's a very real possibility on Monday morning, when HMRC will petition the High Court to wind-up the Club. If Becchetti doesn't defend the petition, then we really could be out of business and looking at having to start a Phoenix club in the Essex leagues ! 

The Fans Trust, LOFT, is attending court with Barristers and Insolvency practitioners and hope to avert the liquidation. 

We could do with all the help we can get. 

If you can spare a bit of dosh - visit savetheorient.com and see how you can donate - please use the direct banking option, ideally, as the gofundme page takes an 8% bite out of the donation. Please note that any cash you give is NOT being used to pay off Becchetti's debts, that'd just be plain wrong. The fund is going to be used either to part fund the purchase from the Administrators, or, in the worst case, to help start the Phoenix Club. If you go to that site you'll also get more information on what the Trust is trying to do and how we got to where we are. 

If you don't want to put any money into the fund then please consider sending a message of support to the Fans Trust - the guys and gals are working their socks off to try to save our Club - I have so much admiration and respect for what they are doing. 

You can message them on twitter at @LOFansTrust or on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/57237171439/ (or just search for Leyton Orient Fans Trust) 

The team is going to be relegated - that's just going to happen, and the young kids that are left at the Club are doing their level best, and giving it their all on the pitch, but it's literally Men against boys and they just don't have the guile to escape the inevitable. 

If the first world war, Leyton Orient were the first English football team to sign-up en masse for what became the Footballers' Battalion - 3 of our young men paid the ultimate price in that conflict, just like Raith Rovers. At the time, the Arsenal programme notes said of the Orient "sometimes, the greatness of a Club is not measured in terms of the Trophies they have won". Leyton Orient are a great club, like all of our Clubs - because they are all great - they represent US - they are US. 

This week it might be Leyton Orient - next week, who knows? The Football authorities' rules on ownership are a joke - we are still beholden to the whims of individuals who are not necessarily doing what's right for the game. 

Please give us any support you can. Spread the word. 

savetheorient.com 
Edited by HIGHTOWER 1314

Good fans' club, the Os. Used to like Brisbane Road too back in the day of the lower league London grounds, though it's changed beyond recognition now. Been reading about Becchetti earlier this week as Rovers were going down (handed 'em a 1 - 4 twatting). Seems Barry Hearn retained ownership of Brisbane Rd when he flogged the club so Becchetti won't be doing a Ken Richardson (tried to burn down Belle Vue for the insurance). Another example of appalling, ego-driven ownership running a club into the ground. Rovers came back after a few seasons in the conference; I wouldn't like to see Orient go the way of Third Lanark.

Third Lanark? That's the Scottish based club you chose as an example? Third Lanark!!!?

"...then we really could be out of business and looking at having to start a Phoenix club in the Essex leagues !" 

57 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Has Scotty hacked you?

I'm not the only one on here that speaks sense (but thank you).

Disappeared without trace, whereas DRFC never went into administration and came back from disaster. I was hoping the same for the Os.

I've never followed a top-flight football team and so don't really suffer from the sense of entitlement that pervades the rivalries of such clubs, including the sense that they're entitled to a namecheck in a thread about Leyton Orient ... :)

I used to live just up the road from Orient & have always had a liking for them (partly because I've never seen Town lose there). The ground is quite weird these days as you have 4 blocks of flats now, one built into each corner. I think that was something to do with Hearne trying to raise funds for them by selling off land almost as far as the corner flag.

For me though, other than just another tale of another nutter wrecking a once great average football club, is the saga with the Olympic stadium. Orient tried to get something out of that. Admittedly they would have looked a bit ridiculous playing there, but for all the hype about legacy & paying back the community, Orient were the closest ground to that stadium & got, as far as I know, zilch from it, whereas their already wealthy neighbours landed a bargain.

I was down at Orient earlier in the season when they played Accrington Stanley, ironically another Phoenix club.  I didn't appreciate at the time how much trouble they were in.   It was the first time I'd been to Brisbane Road in about 20 years and it's now a really nice, compact lower league ground.  The flats are a bit weird though. 

They'll be relegated, which is fair enough, but it wouldn't be right if they went completely bust.  It's not as if they spunked a whole load of cash chasing a dream.

Charlton and Millwall are also under a fair bit of pressure as well, not good times for lower league football in London. 

All that said, it was a pretty shit game, the only highlight of which was the 20 or do travelling Accrington fans fighting amongst themselves for no apparent reason. 

Went to a couple of Orient games when I lived in London, I hope something gets sorted out. Not up to speed on what the owners are up to, but Hearne was certainly outspoken on how letting West Ham have the Olympic Stadium would eventually kill the club off. 

17 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

So is this going to be another one of those popular fads where people change their profile pic to a Leyton Orient badge to prove how much they care more than anyone else ?

I'm going to go one better and fly down and give some seminars on things like Creating The List, Aportioning Blame and How To Spot a War Chest & How To Spend It. 

2 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

I'm going to go one better and fly down and give some seminars on things like Creating The List, Aportioning Blame and How To Spot a War Chest & How To Spend It. 

Fb getting in there before Shed does. :lol:

Edited by Ormond