Challenge Cup Final - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Who's all off to this festival of football then?

Any of our resident Arabs planning on doing this as a double header with the Scotland game?

Definitely think the venue and kick off time favours us over Utd. This looks like being borne out by ticket sales so far.

Looks like we've just about sold our 5000 allocation but rumour has it Utd have only sold about 2500. Maybe also a reflection of Utd's recent league form. 

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

51 minutes ago, Marky said:

Who's all off to this festival of football then?

Any of our resident Arabs planning on doing this as a double header with the Scotland game?

Definitely think the venue and kick off time favours us over Utd. This looks like being borne out by ticket sales so far.

Looks like we've just about sold our 5000 allocation but rumour has it Utd have only sold about 2500. Maybe also a reflection of Utd's recent league form. 

Marky, Don't think many Arabs have much interest in this diddy cup and also losing patience with McKinnon and Thompson of course. Worst team in around 60 years and must be worst run of results since late 50s too, when taking into account the standard of opposition. Utterly depressing.

30 years since beating Barca......and of course 30 years since getting beat from your boys. At least I was around to see these days. Never ever again

10 minutes ago, GHfaeGTA said:

Marky, Don't think many Arabs have much interest in this diddy cup and also losing patience with McKinnon and Thompson of course. Worst team in around 60 years and must be worst run of results since late 50s too, when taking into account the standard of opposition. Utterly depressing.

30 years since beating Barca......and of course 30 years since getting beat from your boys. At least I was around to see these days. Never ever again

Ditto.

Had enough this year, brutal viewing and some pretty feckless displays home and away convinced me to no bother trekking all the way down to Motherwell of all places to find we've not turned up again.

Too many times this season it's been game over barely after a balls been kicked, Easter Rd, Falkirk, Raith et al.

30 years since last Final defeat to St Mirren too, headlines are written already I fear.

Not wasting a Saturday on this......not convinced will bother using season ticket over remaining games.

Ray's teams are sooking the life out of the fans, feckin depressing to watch!

My Dad and my brother are both season ticket holders but are not going apparently due to blatantly unfair venue choice.  Plus, the diddyness of the cup.  I'm genuinely not bothered at all whether we win or not.  I didn't go to the last Diddy Cup final, but this one is a welcome relief from the suffocating horror of watching the team fall apart before our eyes in the league.  To steal from elsewhere, watching United just now is like watching a car crash from inside the car.

Diddy cup or not diddy cup, it's a cup final, and I'm certainly looking forward to it, considering our league position great effort from St Mirren to sell out our allocation.

Edited by Jersey Jim

2 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Looks like all the glory hunters that started following Utd in the 80s are being weeded out.

Glory hunters? I wish. We have never had more than about 7000 hard core support in all that time. Hasn't changed much since the 80s. The glory hunters of the 80s were probably killie fans who came to watch some proper football.

30 minutes ago, ShedTA said:

Glory hunters? I wish. We have never had more than about 7000 hard core support in all that time. Hasn't changed much since the 80s. The glory hunters of the 80s were probably killie fans who came to watch some proper football.

Aye, i'm sure folk travelled up from Killie to Dundee in the 80s to watch Dundee Utd! Plenty of Aberdeen fans down that way but i've never met a Dundee Utd fan from Ayrshire in my puff.

1 hour ago, adamntg said:

My Dad and my brother are both season ticket holders but are not going apparently due to blatantly unfair venue choice.

Seems neutral enough to me?

Its nearer Paisley than Dundee, but can't think of many 10,000+ stadiums that are that much more neutral and have a decent pitch.

Falkirk or Clyde would probably be about half way, but are they both have 3 sides and plastic pitches.

could play in Edinburgh or Livingston, but that's much the same distance from Dundee and further from Paisley so pretty pointless.

15 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Seems neutral enough to me?

Its nearer Paisley than Dundee, but can't think of many 10,000+ stadiums that are that much more neutral and have a decent pitch.

Falkirk or Clyde would probably be about half way, but are they both have 3 sides and plastic pitches.

could play in Edinburgh or Livingston, but that's much the same distance from Dundee and further from Paisley so pretty pointless.

Before I start - I'm not fussy, I am exiled in EK these days and can be at Fir Park in about 20 minutes.

But I think your Scottish geography is a little ropey.

Say we consider Motherwell, Cumbernauld, Falkirk, Livingston, Edinburgh, Dunfermline and Perth as potential venues, all of these would be able to accommodate the anticipated 7,500 attendance (I've left out Starks Park because it's ridiculous looking stadium, Dens Park and Airdrie).

MOTHERWELL is 23 miles from Paisley.  It's 84 miles from Dundee, so 61 miles closer to St Mirren.  CUMBERNAULD is also 23 miles from Paisley but is only 68 from Dundee, but still 45 miles less early morning travelling for Buddies.  

FALKIRK is 34 from Paisley, 59 from Dundee, 25 miles closer to St Mirren.  I suppose it might struggle to cope with the crowd, and you're right, that missing stand is terrible.  LIVI is also closer to Paisley, 43 miles v 64 miles but pretty close to halfway.  

PERTH is obviously much closer to Dundee (22 miles versus 70 miles).

EDINBURGH is almost equidistant - 57 from Paisley, 61 from Dundee.  But DUNFERMLINE is only two miles closer to Dundee than it is to Paisley (48 v50).  It would be the ideal neutral venue, has four decent stands and is also low on the total travelling distances for both teams (98 miles altogether.  Shortest would be Perth at 92 miles.  Longest is - Edinburgh followed by, yup, Motherwell).

Unless you were going to play it at Firhill then you'd struggle to find a less neutral venue.  Having said all that, United are happy with the venue, but a lot of the supporters are not (my Dad and brother included).

Aye, take your points, although if you were to substitute miles for driving time, it's probably slightly less favourable for St Mirren.

Most of the neutral games I've been at have been in Glasgow v old firm, except when we played Hearts at Easter road.

:lol:

How have they split up fir park? The segregation was a negative as a neutral venue in my eyes, as the east stand that runs the length of the pitch can't be split, so presume one team has the big away stand and the wings of main stand and the other has the cooper and the east which would be a slight advantage in my eyes (although our home record doesn't back that up! :lol: )

St Mirren have the Davie Cooper and Main Stand. We've sold our 5,000 allocation, I take it those 2 stands hold more than 5,000, so can only assume some of the main stand has set aside for sponsors etc.

Going to pretty empty elsewhere if the Arabs have only shifted 2,500.

13 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Aye, take your points, although if you were to substitute miles for driving time, it's probably slightly less favourable for St Mirren.

Most of the neutral games I've been at have been in Glasgow v old firm, except when we played Hearts at Easter road.

:lol:

How have they split up fir park? The segregation was a negative as a neutral venue in my eyes, as the east stand that runs the length of the pitch can't be split, so presume one team has the big away stand and the wings of main stand and the other has the cooper and the east which would be a slight advantage in my eyes (although our home record doesn't back that up! :lol: )

I'm in the Cigarettes stand, whichever that is.  You couldn't pick your seat and I've been given Row B which is sure to be a fcuking great view.

1 minute ago, Jersey Jim said:

St Mirren have the Davie Cooper and Main Stand. We've sold our 5,000 allocation, I take it those 2 stands hold more than 5,000, so can only assume some of the main stand has set aside for sponsors etc.

Going to pretty empty elsewhere if the Arabs have only shifted 2,500.

The club have only shifted 2,500 TO the Arabs.  If you get that wrong you sound like the Daily Record.

13 minutes ago, adamntg said:

I'm in the Cigarettes stand, whichever that is.  You couldn't pick your seat and I've been given Row B which is sure to be a fcuking great view.

I used to sit in Row A of that stand quite near halfway.

because the pitch slopes away from you (and is probably steeper than that stand! :lol: ) it's not a terrible view, just struggle to see the lines on the far side.

18 minutes ago, Jersey Jim said:

Excluding the directors box etc. 5000 sounds about right for those 2 stands.

So Dundee Utd have 8000 or so, 5000 behind goal and 3,000 in east stand.

1 hour ago, adamntg said:

Before I start - I'm not fussy, I am exiled in EK these days and can be at Fir Park in about 20 minutes.

But I think your Scottish geography is a little ropey.

Say we consider Motherwell, Cumbernauld, Falkirk, Livingston, Edinburgh, Dunfermline and Perth as potential venues, all of these would be able to accommodate the anticipated 7,500 attendance (I've left out Starks Park because it's ridiculous looking stadium, Dens Park and Airdrie).

MOTHERWELL is 23 miles from Paisley.  It's 84 miles from Dundee, so 61 miles closer to St Mirren.  CUMBERNAULD is also 23 miles from Paisley but is only 68 from Dundee, but still 45 miles less early morning travelling for Buddies.

FALKIRK is 34 from Paisley, 59 from Dundee, 25 miles closer to St Mirren.  I suppose it might struggle to cope with the crowd, and you're right, that missing stand is terrible.  LIVI is also closer to Paisley, 43 miles v 64 miles but pretty close to halfway.

PERTH is obviously much closer to Dundee (22 miles versus 70 miles).

EDINBURGH is almost equidistant - 57 from Paisley, 61 from Dundee.  But DUNFERMLINE is only two miles closer to Dundee than it is to Paisley (48 v50).  It would be the ideal neutral venue, has four decent stands and is also low on the total travelling distances for both teams (98 miles altogether.  Shortest would be Perth at 92 miles.  Longest is - Edinburgh followed by, yup, Motherwell).

Unless you were going to play it at Firhill then you'd struggle to find a less neutral venue.  Having said all that, United are happy with the venue, but a lot of the supporters are not (my Dad and brother included).

Agree with the general sentiment of your post and I said myself that I thought it was an unfair venue choice. Particularly for a 1230 kick off, don't think it would be that much of an issue for any kick off time after 1400.

What I don't agree with is your statement about an anticipated crowd of 7500. It may end up not being much more than that, but it's certainly not what I think most people would have anticipated. Most people including the SPFL I'd imagine, would've fully expected two teams like Saints and Utd to fill Fir Park. Therefore from a size point of view, I'd have thought that Fir Park was the ideal choice.

4 minutes ago, Ormond said:

We're not playing. But the Buddies are. :)

Ahem....

St. Mirren = The Original 1877 Brand

St. Johnstone = The Johnny Come Lately Fake version of 1884

We therefore reserve the right to call ourselves Buddies, Saints or whatever we like.

You are quite `welcome to the dubious sounding "Saintees"

I rest my case!

Edited by Marky

I was going to go along as a neutral with my wee boy (Accies fans, live within walking distance of Fir Park), but Dundee United wanted £9 booking fees for me to buy two tickets from them. 

I declined, so we'll watch it on the telly or go to Wishaw Juniors or something. 

7 minutes ago, Marky said:

Ahem....

St. Mirren = The Original 1877 Brand

St. Johnstone = The Johnny Come Lately Fake version of 1884

We therefore reserve the right to call ourselves Buddies, Saints or whatever we like.

You are quite `welcome to the dubious sounding "Saintees"

I rest my case!

:P