Martin McGuinness - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Debian said:

The man was a terrorist. No matter what he did in his later life, it doesn't make up for the part he played in the NI horrors. 

I'd agree with that but it also doesn't mean you can't dismiss out of hand the part he played in bringing a form of peace to Northern Ireland.

If we

6 minutes ago, Debian said:

The man was a terrorist. No matter what he did in his later life, it doesn't make up for the part he played in the NI horrors. 

If we applied that measure of how we engage with political leaders then we would never have engaged with many political leaders of what are view as modern

democratic countries. There are many reasons to despise McGuinness but he brought the IRA to the table and I think many in NI from all persuasions will be thankul for that. There will be many who won't be shedding tears and rightly so but these same people probably realise the risk McGuinness took in moving the IRA into a power sharing alliance and also accepting the political reality of NI within the UK for many years to come.

1 hour ago, aaid said:

I'd agree with that but it also doesn't mean you can't dismiss out of hand the part he played in bringing a form of peace to Northern Ireland.

I don't dismiss it, as he was pivotal in bringing peace, and I have no doubt that in his passing, the product of his time will continue to serve his country well.

1 hour ago, EddardStark said:

If we

If we applied that measure of how we engage with political leaders then we would never have engaged with many political leaders of what are view as modern democratic countries. There are many reasons to despise McGuinness but he brought the IRA to the table and I think many in NI from all persuasions will be thankul for that. There will be many who won't be shedding tears and rightly so but these same people probably realise the risk McGuinness took in moving the IRA into a power sharing alliance and also accepting the political reality of NI within the UK for many years to come.

That's a very valid point Eddard.

1 hour ago, EddardStark said:

It always been BBC policy refer to Londonderry in the first reference. Thereafter they use the term Derry.

Aye. Funnily enough I just found that out off a mate at the weekend.

No doubt McGuinness was involved in some pretty bad things in his youth but fair play to him for putting it behind him and making friends of former enemies for the good of his country.

I heard a radio programme recently about comedy in Belfast and one of the main takeaways from it was that the nature of humour has changed amongst young people there, as they have grown up in a very different environment to a time when deaths in Ulster were headline news most nights of the week.

Found this paragraph interesting on the BBC report this morning.

But his leadership potential was spotted early and he was just 22 when he and Gerry Adams were flown to London for secret talks with the British government: MI5 considered him serious officer material with strategic vision.

A bit of footage kicking on the news at the moment from the 70s/80s with IRA men parading in the full black outfit, balaclava, sunglasses and berets.

I can well remember how intimidating and scary that looked at the time which I guess was the point.

Watching it now, the first thing that came into my mind was that they looked like they were wearing those full body lyrca suits and how ridiculous they appear nowadays.

Making out he was a peacemaker is a little misleading, I mean the UK special forces had infiltrated the PIRA on his watch, leaving him no other option but to pursue a politics only agenda. 

Good riddance, I hope it's hot down there. 

Guest BlueGaz
1 hour ago, Chief said:

Making out he was a peacemaker is a little misleading, I mean the UK special forces had infiltrated the PIRA on his watch, leaving him no other option but to pursue a politics only agenda. 

Exactly why he did it.  Coward to the core.  

1 hour ago, Chief said:

Rumous going around for years that either MM or the bearded one works for the security services hence why they've always avoided prosecution. 

Anyway I hope it was a slow and painful death. My thoughts are with the victims of his death squads who never got to see their kids grow up or get to see Marty jailed for his actions.

Guest BlueGaz
14 minutes ago, Mark frae Crieff said:

So will we finally find out if he was "Steak knife"? 

He avoided the inevitable somehow.  but who knows.

6 hours ago, Debian said:

1 hour ago, Chief said:

36 minutes ago, Reevesy said:

RIP Martin

35 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

Exactly why he did it.  Coward to the core.  

14 minutes ago, dave said:

Anyway I hope it was a slow and painful death. My thoughts are with the victims of his death squads who never got to see their kids grow up or get to see Marty jailed for his actions.

I can't remember what the thread was about, but remember a discussion about fans of either side of the old firm largely following the party line when it came to politics etc.

With the exception of Eddard, not much to dispel that theory in here.