Martin McGuinness - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

1 hour ago, Ormond said:

Spot on. Cvnts.

No I suspect they were of their time like those in the IRA were. No one gets covered in glory from this whole episode. Your perspective changes depending upon which side you thought was in the right. To label the British army as "cvnts" is perhaps a tad harsh its like labelling all Irish nationalists "cvnts" the truth as always is somewhere in between. 

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Nobby said:

No I suspect they were of their time like those in the IRA were. No one gets covered in glory from this whole episode. Your perspective changes depending upon which side you thought was in the right. To label the British army as "cvnts" is perhaps a tad harsh its like labelling all Irish nationalists "cvnts" the truth as always is somewhere in between. 

I wasn't attributing the British army being cvnts solely to Ireland. 

Edited by Ormond

3 minutes ago, Ormond said:

I wasn't attributing the British army being s solely to Ireland. 

No army British or otherwise has an impeccable record and the victor generally writes the history book. What I see is that when called upon over the last few centuries the poor British  "cvnt" when called upon has stepped up and delivered, probably from your family and mine. Judging history by today's standards is generally not a good idea. Granted we had bastards in charge, I'm just glad for a poxy little island our bastards were better than theirs. History tells me that every now and then having a nasty in charge isn't necessarily a bad thing. That's not to say we shouldn't strive for nirvana but I'd rather have Theresa may speaking to Putin than Corbyn for example. I would also add that I'd rather Mickey Mouse spoke to putin than trump ?

Guest BlueGaz
4 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Has a dig at the forum and then says it's not a slight on the forum:lol:

Here is van der hunch with his two pennies worth. It is typical tamb to bring a non football thread back to OF.  Very typical. Do yer wee smilie emojis all you want, doesn't change the fact. 

Guest BlueGaz
4 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

2 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Sssshhhh !!!

Your not allowed to criticise our glorious, heroic British Army on here.

Correctly bringing up the fact that many staggering atrocities these "heroes" * have committed against civilians and prisoners of war makes one a lying, cowardly, pinko, disloyal, terrorist loving scum to all these weirdos with anger management problems that worship everything about the military.

*Including Scots, we cannot walk away from that.

Come on then, just this once, put your money where your mouth is.  You don't have to do it again, just this once.  Afterwards you can rattle on with your oor wullie posts again.

Why are you not allowed to criticise our glorious, heroic British Army on here?  Where does it say that or where have you tried and been shot down?  You will get more support on here for that than anything else.

You are referring to all the military being heroes.  Show me where the vast majority have committed atrocities against civilians and prisoners of war?  Show me and educate me.

Show us where that makes you a lying, cowardly, pinko, disloyal, terrorist loving scum?

Some of these weirdos with anger management problems are far fkin better people than you, thats for sure.  They certainly don't sit on a forum typing the biggest load of p1sh for all to see.  You're full of shite.

6 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

Come on then, just this once, put your money where your mouth is.  You don't have to do it again, just this once.  Afterwards you can rattle on with your oor wullie posts again.

Why are you not allowed to criticise our glorious, heroic British Army on here?  Where does it say that or where have you tried and been shot down?  You will get more support on here for that than anything else.

You are referring to all the military being heroes.  Show me where the vast majority have committed atrocities against civilians and prisoners of war?  Show me and educate me.

Show us where that makes you a lying, cowardly, pinko, disloyal, terrorist loving scum?

Some of these weirdos with anger management problems are far fkin better people than you, thats for sure.  They certainly don't sit on a forum typing the biggest load of p1sh for all to see.  You're full of shite.

:wave: :rollsmile:

The veterans round my area spend most of their time moaning about "the threat to the white race" and "cultural marxism", so I think I can quite confidently say I am a much better person than them, yes. 

Guest BlueGaz
4 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

:wave: :rollsmile:

The veterans round my area spend most of their time moaning about "the threat to the white race" and "cultural marxism", so I think I can quite confidently say I am a much better person than them, yes. 

BS. Crivens, jings, Although you do fit into the weirdo category right enough, full of shite with nothing to back up your generalisations. 

And there are far more veterans than those in Auchenshoogle. 

Guest BlueGaz
1 minute ago, ErsatzThistle said:

:spin: :spin: :spin:

Calm doon.

Always calm. You know that. you don't think a Walt on here gets me that excited do you? 

Guest BlueGaz
Just now, ErsatzThistle said:

It quite obviously does. 

Nothing obvious. Just asked you to back  up your shite, you can't and just come back with emojis. End of. 

7 hours ago, BlueGaz said:

Here is van der hunch with his two pennies worth. It is typical tamb to bring a non football thread back to OF.  Very typical. Do yer wee smilie emojis all you want, doesn't change the fact. 

you forgot to put fact in capital letters, to reinforce your point you must always go with FACT

Good morning, everyone.

Former First minister Alex Salmond's thoughts:-

"IT was 2007 and the fledgling power-sharing administration in Northern Ireland was seeking support and legitimacy.

In successive choreographed phone calls the Rev Ian Paisley and Martin McGuinness, First Minister and Deputy First Minister of Northern Ireland respectively, invited the newly-elected First Minister of Scotland to address the Stormont Assembly.

I went and I delivered an address in the Senate chamber finely tuned to upset as few apple carts as possible. But what I saw was amazing. The press reports of a rapport between the First Minister and his Deputy were underestimated.

In private, the relationship was already deeply personal, even avuncular, between Paisley and the younger man.

In the evening, in the great halls of Stormont, there was a carefully balanced melody of Irish and Scots-Irish traditional music boasting both pipers and flautists!

And there amid the flute band there was a Lambeg Drum – a very symbol of the Protestant supremacy in Northern Ireland.

All day, I had been looking for a photo to encapsulate progress in an atmosphere where handshakes were still problematic and pictures – like phrases – make history in Ireland.
“You wouldn’t usually be so close to one of these drums?” I turned to Martin McGuinness and asked.

“100 yards, protesting” was the response he gave me.

“Ah,” I said. “It would be something if you and Ian were to beat it together would it not?”
Five minutes later, after a hastily summoned confab, the deed was done. Me behind the drum and Paisley and McGuinness with a drumstick each.

It was in the days before pictures went viral. Nowadays, it would have been a certainty.
I thought of that picture yesterday when news came through of Martin McGuinness’s passing and the reaction to it.

In the responses to his death, some were caught in the hurt of the past but some were overcoming it.

It is impossible to criticise those who lost so much, but some of those who lost the most were among those paying the most generous tributes.

Ian Paisley jnr MP’s thought of yesterday that “we are not judged by where we begin but by where we end up” has a more than a Presbyterian ring to it. However, it is a truth which I firmly and intimately recognise.

The reality there would have been violence in Northern Ireland with or without a McGuinness but peace only with him.

He was warm, engaging and witty and, as a hard man, uniquely placed to find the path to peace.

Deeply religious, Martin (like Big Ian) used to end phone conversations with the words “God bless” – and he meant it.

He would be aware of the ultimate fates of the peacemaker compared to those who wreak division in their own house. In Ian Paisley, he found a coalition and a soulmate. Both are now gone and so from politics are a generation of Westminster leaders who understood at first hand the heavy penalty that is visited on all of us from neglect of Northern Ireland.

The current Prime Minister seems totally oblivious to her responsibilities and her relationship with all of the devolved administrations is, at best, distant.

The post-election talks are stalemated and the omens are not good. The Brexit event is casting its long shadow, like a nuclear winter, over politics.

We have to hope the parties of the north realise that real progress can only come from within.

In my opinion they should follow the example of Paisley and McGuinness and beat the Lambeg Drum – beat it loud but together."

Guest BlueGaz
27 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

you forgot to put fact in capital letters, to reinforce your point you must always go with FACT

Sorry, will do that next time.

Him and Paisley deserve a lot of credit for coming together and moving NI on from a terrible period. And for every person who labels either as a great man, I'm sure a polar opposite view won't be far behind.

He tried to reach out to the Unionist community in the last few years, more so than the current DUP are doing to the republican side. Him and Arlene Foster both went to the Euros and suggested they go to both a Northern Ireland and Ireland match  - she refused to go to watch Ireland whilst he went to both. 

Edited by weekevie04

None of us have any idea of what Northern Ireland was like in the last 50 years - particularly what it was like for Catholics

All we have is what the Unionist MSM spoon fed us for years

IRA - dirty scum terrorists

British Army - good guys trying to keep the peace

Guest BlueGaz
20 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

None of us have any idea of what Northern Ireland was like in the last 50 years.  

Some do :ok:

I've no dog in this fight but I suspect that there's no-one involved in Northern Ireland over the last 50 years or so whose hands are particularly clean, be that the paramilitaries on both sides, the U.K. Government, RUC and the British Army.

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

particularly what it was like for Catholics

59 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

Some do :ok:

I doubt either of us really do