Team for Slovenia - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team for Slovenia

er yir macaroon

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

I think Robertson will start instead of Tierney as Strachan likes him. No idea who's the better player but we all know that doesn't come into in for our manager. 

This team is most of the reason I won't be there. More than half of them are useless and well passed their best. It's time for a major overhaul and that can only happen with a new manager who doesn't just pick his favourites. 

I think that so far Robertson is the better player but Tierney is already the better defender. I don't think we can afford another defender who cant defend so it's Tierney for me.

Along the same lines Anya at right back scares me a lot. 

5 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

More than half of them are useless and well passed their best. It's time for a major overhaul and that can only happen with a new manager who doesn't just pick his favourites. 

yes - we have oustanding ability in reserve that are just being overlooked. there are eligible players 10 times better than that being picked currently. 

Might as well throw my tuppence worth in.

I'd throw the kitchen sink at it 4-4-2.

Gordon, Robertson, Martin, Mulgrew, Tierney, Forrest or Anya, Brown, Armstrong, Burke, Naismith and Griffiths. Play like demented wasps on acid and scare the bejeesus out of them.

We really don't have anything to lose at this point.

Edited by slasher

Tierney is expected to add to his two Scotland senior caps this week when Strachan’s side take on Canada in a friendly before their crucial World Cup qualifier with Slovenia

And the 19-year-old said: “Full-back is a position where you can switch sides.

“I played right-back throughout a Nike tournament with Celtic’s Under-15s down in England and we won.

“I don’t mind at all – I just need to start working on my right foot.

ADVERTISEMENT

“You just need to run down the line, cut in and shoot. But at the moment if the guy shows you down the line I’ve not got much chance.

“You think of players like Danny McGrain switching flanks – it can happen. It was the same with Adam Matthews who was at Celtic a few years ago.

“It’s not the worst thing – you’re still playing and still playing full-back. I’d honestly play anywhere on the park.”

Tierney at RB on Sunday anyone?

Gordon

Tierney Berra Mulgrew Robertson

Brown Armstrong

Ritchie Cairney Snodgrass

Fletcher

40 minutes ago, slasher said:

Might as well throw my tuppence worth in.

I'd throw the kitchen sink at it 4-4-2.

Gordon, Robertson, Martin, Mulgrew, Tierney, Forrest or Anya, Brown, Armstrong, Burke, Naismith and Griffiths. Play like demented wasps on acid and scare the bejeesus out of them.

We really don't have anything to lose at this point.

and this highlights the issue of who would you like to see play and who would you think Strachan will end up playing. in terms of the formerr it is amazing how so many people go for one up front. Strachan has brainwashed so many into thiniking there cant be two strikers. its impossible apparently for Scotand to play with two strikers as we need people to push on and we need a fluid system. 

13 minutes ago, Return of Yermaw said:

and this highlights the issue of who would you like to see play and who would you think Strachan will end up playing. in terms of the formerr it is amazing how so many people go for one up front. Strachan has brainwashed so many into thiniking there cant be two strikers. its impossible apparently for Scotand to play with two strikers as we need people to push on and we need a fluid system. 

It's win or bust, but you're right it'll probably be Fletcher and Brown holding and one up front as usual ?

7 hours ago, Brooky said:

Couple of teams suggested above have 12 players in starting line up..... Would be nice to play an extra man given where we are just now.

I think Strachan will stick with his 4-2-3-1 formation. This is the team I think he will pick, not the one I would go for but.....:

Gordon

Anya           Martin         Mulgrew     Robertson

Brown    D. Fletcher

Forrest              Armstrong            Snodgrass

S. Fletcher  

I could see him picking Matt Ritchie over Forrest or Tierney over Robertson but I think he'll go with what he thinks he knows which will be 9/10 of above team.

Don't think this will be far away. Maybe Tierney at RB as you said. Would be interested to see how he could justify playing Fletcher up front considering he's had about 30 mins of first team football since Sheffield Wednesday signed Rhodes in January.

1 hour ago, Return of Yermaw said:

Unfortunately we are far from fluid, and even though we're supposed to be playing with 3 in the middle we constantly seem to be getting overran in midfield. I like 4-2-3-1 in theory but it just doesn't work for us. Maybe we should try a 3-5-2.

Gordon

Martin.       Cooper.       Berra

Brown

Anya.    Armstrong.     Cairney.     Robertson

Griffiths.      Rhodes

52 minutes ago, stevenmcn said:

Unfortunately we are far from fluid, and even though we're supposed to be playing with 3 in the middle we constantly seem to be getting overran in midfield. I like 4-2-3-1 in theory but it just doesn't work for us. Maybe we should try a 3-5-2.

Gordon

Brown

Griffiths.      Rhodes

I thought about that as well. On balance though we are probably safer starting with 2 bad centre backs rather than 3 ?

14 minutes ago, slasher said:

I thought about that as well. On balance though we are probably safer starting with 2 bad centre backs rather than 3 ?

You might well be right, but unfortunately, right now "safe" isn't working and hasn't worked for a few years. At least this wouldn't be what Slovenia were expecting. I was going to say "what they'd set up for" but I'm not sure any team change their tactics to play us.

2 hours ago, stevenmcn said:

Gordon

Brown

Griffiths.      Rhodes

you know what, i like this!!! why should be not go back to the craig brown days??? Tough to beat.

We have tried the flowing football style and it has not worked which we can all agree on. I would put fraser for anya as i think he has the work ethic to play the wing back role

What I'd love....

Gordon  

Robertson Berra Mulgrew Robertson 

Fletch

Snodgrass    Cairney    Armstrong 

Griffiths Rhodes

What'll probably happen....

Gordon 

Anya Martin Mulgrew Robertson

Brown Fletcher

Snodgrass Bannan Armstrong 

Martin 

6 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I think that so far Robertson is the better player but Tierney is already the better defender. I don't think we can afford another defender who cant defend so it's Tierney for me.

Along the same lines Anya at right back scares me a lot. 

I'd probably agree but I've not seen a lot of Robertson this season, whereas Tierney was fantastic in Europe for Celtic but is only recently back from injury. 

They're both better than Wallace so I'll be happy with either one. 

6 hours ago, Return of Yermaw said:

yes - we have oustanding ability in reserve that are just being overlooked. there are eligible players 10 times better than that being picked currently. 

That isn't what I said but you have yer wee hissy fit. 

There are different players to try so that we don't have to keep watching Steven Fletcher fail to score against anyone other than utter pub teams. 

I'd prefer to see new failures than watch the same old shit. 

2 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

That isn't what I said but you have yer wee hissy fit. 

There are different players to try so that we don't have to keep watching Steven Fletcher fail to score against anyone other than utter pub teams. 

I'd prefer to see new failures than watch the same old shit. 

I concur.

Gordon

Tierney Martin Berra Robertson

Fletcher Brown

Ritchie Armstrong Snodgrass

Griffiths

The failure to even try to address the centre back issue in trying the likes of Liam Lindsay is baffling.

Shinnie and McLean should also have been in squad.

If Martin plays the game really is up!

Edited by saintlyscot

1 hour ago, Leiper said:

What I'd love....

Gordon  

Robertson Berra Mulgrew Robertson 

Fletch

Snodgrass    Cairney    Armstrong 

Griffiths Rhodes

What'll probably happen....

Gordon 

Anya Martin Mulgrew Robertson

Brown Fletcher

Snodgrass Bannan Armstrong 

Martin 

I really rate Robertson but it's a bit much to ask him to play left AND right back at the same time! Sticking with the 4-2-3-1 I'd like to see:

-------------------------Gordon---------------------------

Anya----------Martin-----------Berra---------Robertson

-------------------Fletcher------Cairney------------------

Burke---------------Armstrong---------------Fraser

------------------------Rhodes-----------------------

Also think folk are reading too much into the Tierney article, he was responding to a question from a journalist in a jovial way rather than making a serious suggestion.

It's a ''I'll play anywhere'' type cliche IMO.

Think Anya is a stick on for right back on Sunday.

Edited by BraveheartGordon

Don't quite get why people think Strachan will play anything but his tried and failed 451 formation, his approach of trying not to get beat at all costs inevitably leads to us getting beat. 

I just want this to be over. 

16 minutes ago, kumnio said:

his approach of trying not to get beat at all costs inevitably leads to us getting beat. 

That's what has held us back the most during the Strachan years. We seem more concerned about not losing than winning. It's an attitude you only really see in the supposed "lesser nations" these days.