U17s - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

U17s

Ormond

10 hours ago, henry george said:

I think the opposition to colt teams is based primarily on identity - many fans of lower league clubs do not want Celtic A or Rangers A teams in their leagues.  I think we have to accept that and move the discussion on.  One way round this might be to base colt teams around regions rather than clubs.  Having 4 colt teams (eg Western Academy. Eastern Academy etc) with players drawn from clubs in those regions would fulfill the criteria set by the SFA and be respectful of the objections of fans of lower league sides. 

On a personal note I'd rather the colt teams be named slightly more romantically than just  Xxxx Academy, perhaps reviving long lost names like Third Lanark, St Bernards, Northern etc - but that's just me.

Thanks Henry.

Yes, the example of regional Colt teams (I referred to them as Central, but I mean the same thing) is exactly what I'm suggesting - this could be further tied into the performance school and club system by tying particular performance schools or clubs to particular regions thereby hopefully building up a bit of a culture and identity.

I like the naming idea too. The Americans in particular are good at this - a good brand can go  along way to promoting a successful 'franchise', for want of a better word.

Another way of promoting interest in these teams might be to have an annual draft system. Any team that has players available for loan, including those from exile systems (by that I mean Scotland youth internationals playing for foreign (i.e. mostly English) teams), can put their players into the draft at the beginning of the year to be picked up by the teams.

I guess the point is that there are lots of ways you could do something like this, and each way would have advantages and disadvantages, but all seem better in my head than the individual colt teams.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, ProudScot said:

You clearly are offended. 

Hows Greg Kiltie and Craig Slater getting on these days?

Glad to see Robbie Muirhead hit the dizzy heights you claimed he would. 

Cant wait to hear about the next big thing to come from Killie! 

Greg Kiltie has been out injured with a serious injury and has been out majority of the season, he's our best player though. I think that shows the level of interest you have in our domestic game.

Robbie Muirhead signed a 3.5 year deal with MK Dons in January and Craig Slater signed a pre contract with Colchester in June and was an ever present until last week when he did his Hernia and was ruled out for the season..

How's Zak Jules and the other p1sh English players you touted for Scotland doing? You are one of these morons who can't wait to slag our domestic game but put the grand total of fcuk all into it. ProudScot my arse. Probably as Scottish as Matt Phillips.

35 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Greg Kiltie has been out injured with a serious injury and has been out majority of the season, he's our best player though. I think that shows the level of interest you have in our domestic game.

Robbie Muirhead signed a 3.5 year deal with MK Dons in January and Craig Slater signed a pre contract with Colchester in June and was an ever present until last week when he did his Hernia and was ruled out for the season..

How's Zak Jules and the other p1sh English players you touted for Scotland doing? You are one of these morons who can't wait to slag our domestic game but put the grand total of fcuk all into it. ProudScot my arse. Probably as Scottish as Matt Phillips.

A mid table SPL teams 'best player', MK Dons and Colchester... So they're all international stars in the making then... ;)

Literally never touted Zak Jules & Look at you getting all abusive and petulant you are something else :lol::lol::lol:

Edited by ProudScot

53 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

19 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

A mid table SPL teams 'best player', MK Dons and Colchester... So they're all international stars in the making then... ;)

Literally never touted Zak Jules & Look at you getting all abusive and petulant you are something else :lol::lol::lol:

never erver debate with an over indulgent emoji man, ever. if the rules of twitter apply then it equals lost argument, mentaller and in all likleihood simpleton (with a dash of casual racism thrown in from time to time). 

On 3/24/2017 at 4:02 PM, ProudScot said:

I;m not the one desperate for young Scottish players to fail. You keep on wanking yourself silly over English players playing for us.

When was the last time you bothered going to watch a domestic game? In fact, when was the last time you bothered going to watch Scotland?

You really are something else. I'm sorry if Kiltie, who just turned 20 hasn't met your expectations. I'd say 60 odd first team games, dragging us through a play off and chipping in with a decent amount of vital goals is not bad for a player who's missed most this season with a serious injury. 

On 3/25/2017 at 9:20 AM, Malcolm said:

The reason it all goes wrong is that these players end up in our terrible league.  Get them off to Italy, Spain and Germany.

Aye that's the reason, send all our players elsewhere and make the league weaker for other youngsters coming through. Sound logic.

Just now, Squirrelhumper said:

I;m not the one desperate for young Scottish players to fail. You keep on wanking yourself silly over English players playing for us.

When was the last time you bothered going to watch a domestic game? In fact, when was the last time you bothered going to watch Scotland?

You really are something else. I'm sorry if Kiltie, who just turned 20 hasn't met your expectations. I'd say 60 odd first team games, dragging us through a play off and chipping in with a decent amount of vital goals is not bad for a player who's missed most this season with a serious injury. 

Listen to yourself :lol: Example of this please?

Simply stating average players who won't ever be good enough to represent Scotland, are not good players, is not wanting them to fail. It's just calling it how it is.

11 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Listen to yourself :lol: Example of this please?

Simply stating average players who won't ever be good enough to represent Scotland, are not good players, is not wanting them to fail. It's just calling it how it is.

How would you know how good a player say the likes of Kiltie is? You don't even watch domestic football. As i said, you are as Scottish as Matt Phillips.

3 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

How would you know how good a player say the likes of Kiltie is? You don't even watch domestic football. As i said, you are as Scottish as Matt Phillips.

Unfortunately I do watch it. It's then amusing when a supposed "cracking wee player" transfers to League 1.

It's becoming more apparent that you are a moron :lol:

6 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Aye that's the reason, send all our players elsewhere and make the league weaker for other youngsters coming through. Sound logic.

Or travel back in a time machine to pre Sky era football, when our league was semi competitive, and we had two or three teams regularly go well in to European competition and play at the highest level.  It's all over now.  Spl teams out with Celtic would be championship strugglers and league 1.  Unless the whole fundamental financial structure changes we are going nowhere.

Back on topic

The U17's have been drawn in a very favourable group for the U17 finals in Croatia - opponents being France, Hungary & Faroe Islands (yes, I had a second look at that as well).  The top 2 qualify from the group so we should at least reach the quarter finals where, most probably, Spain awaits.

7 hours ago, henry george said:

Back on topic

The U17's have been drawn in a very favourable group for the U17 finals in Croatia - opponents being France, Hungary & Faroe Islands (yes, I had a second look at that as well).  The top 2 qualify from the group so we should at least reach the quarter finals where, most probably, Spain awaits.

It's a very good draw. None of those teams did as well as us in the first 2 rounds. We are the top seed and we can win the group if our key players stay fit. 

Edited by PASTA Mick

7 hours ago, henry george said:

Back on topic

Who was in the Faroes qualification group? 

Fair play to them for making it 

59 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Who was in the Faroes qualification group? 

Fair play to them for making it 

Republic of Ireland, Slovakia and Cyprus.

Horsed off Ireland 4-0, then drew with Cyprus, and qualified in 2nd place by beating Slovakia 2-1 in the final game (in the qualifying round they were in a group that included Czech Republic and Switzerland)

Edited by wanderer

3 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

It's a very good draw. None of those teams did as well as us in the first 2 rounds. We are the top seed and we can win the group if our key players stay fit. 

would fancy us to come second as surely the french must have a top side. 

2 hours ago, LewisEDI said:

We are the seeded side.

We won 6 out of 6.

France won 4, drew 2. 

Hungary won 4, lost 2

Faroes won 2, drew 2

We can win the group.

1 hour ago, LewisEDI said:

We beat Portugal recently and if i'm remembering correctly they seemed way beyond us (especially physical) in the last finals. I've got high hopes for this group, mainly on account of the front 3.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, wanderer said:

2-0 up against the Faroes mid way through the 2nd half in our opening match.

FT 2-0, Aitchison and Innes Cameron. Really hope Aitchison forces his way into the Celtic team. Been a long, long time since there was a young, exciting striking prospect.

21 minutes ago, bookerman said:

Decent start for the young ones. Fingers crossed they can get one of the five spots for the under 17 world cup in India in October. :).

I think you just need to get out of your group to be within a chance, with a semi-final place guaranteeing you a spot, while the beaten quarter-finalists fight it out for the final 5th spot.

Hungary beat France 3-2, so puts us in a very good spot for the next match v Hungary.

15 minutes ago, wanderer said:

I think you just need to get out of your group to be within a chance, with a semi-final place guaranteeing you a spot, while the beaten quarter-finalists fight it out for the final 5th spot.

Hungary beat France 3-2, so puts us in a very good spot for the next match v Hungary.

Think it also the best 2 losing quarter finalist with the best record, who play off for the last spot.

Without wanting to get ProudScot's knickers in a twist, I'd like to see Cameron get a run before the end of the season as he's looked decent in the 20s. Made his debut a few weeks back as a sub but hopefully one for the future. Good touch for a big lad.

Glad to see him get a goal.