Canada Gemme - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Canada Gemme

Ormond

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strachan should GTF, I hate playing player playing on the wrong wings, its absolutely pointless. Naismith on the left and Snodgrass on the  right is utterly ineffective. 

We wont win on Sunday, the manager will be gone soon thankfully.

4 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Strachan should GTF, I hate playing player playing on the wrong wings, its absolutely pointless. Naismith on the left and Snodgrass on the  right is utterly ineffective. 

Good post.

Strachan doesn't give a flying feck anymore. Please just go now !

What a howlin load of fkin p*sh that was.  Could've been worse though - I could've been there.  Not far along the road from me and I couldnae be arsed.  Cheers, Trashcan - THAT'S what it's come to.

And Chris Martin???  FFS.  Quote of the night from the commentator - "Martin was certain to score at the back post."  Aye, in much the same way I'd be certain to score if Jennifer Lopez walked into my local.  PLEASE get that muppet to fk.

16 minutes ago, daviebee said:

And Chris Martin???  FFS.  Quote of the night from the commentator - "Martin was certain to score at the back post."  Aye, in much the same way I'd be certain to score if Jennifer Lopez walked into my local.  

:lol:

Just now, dandydunn said:

What I learnt tonight

Russell Howard is a lot funnier live than he is on tv. 

I feel i made the the correct decision attending. 

You'd have had a much better laugh watching Scotland.

Don't know about anyone else, but I feel like I spent an hour and a half of this evening in 2003!  Typical Scotland: disorganised in defence, anaemic in attack and one-paced in possession.  Bannan, Martin and Wallace were poor.  Snodgrass has played some excellent games for Scotland but he looked out of form tonight; couldnae trap a bag of cement at times.  Oliver Burke looks like he could be capable of destroying teams with his pace and power but defensively he offers next to nothing.

On the plus side, Anya was good at right-back (I thought he did okay there against England too) and Cairney looks suited to international football.  I doubt it will happen but I'd be tempted to start him on Sunday.

Just now, GordyA88 said:

The only way there will be any atmosphere is if the 10,000 ( if we are lucky ) in attendance can get a Strachan get to F### chant going.

Each one of them will probably have raging hard-ons and stay behind to clap the team and Strachan after we get gubbed.

Well...  I've seen some pretty drab performances in the last 20 years (both player and team) but tonight really was exceptional.

Things may have been different from TV, but these were my observations from the game:

• Chris Martin offers precisely nothing.  He could barely trap a ball.  Looked completely disinterested and in the second half appeared to be actively trying to destroy attacks.  Looked like he'd never seen a football in his life.
  • Snodgrass was, even by his recently poor standards, utterly dreadful.  In fairness, he at least looked like a man who had player football in the past, but who woke up this morning with two left (right?) feet.  Cannot beat a man, cannot take a corner, and apparently can't receive a pass.  Shouldn't start Sunday.
  • Robertson is infinitely better than Wallace and probably our most confident player.  I'd be tempted to play him in front of Tierney on Sunday.
  • Anya isn't a right back, and will f*ck it up if he's given time to think. Yet realistically the only option we currently have at right back.
  • Cairney didn't look out of place and genuinely wanted the ball.  The only player (other than Anya) to be given pass marks over 90 minutes.
  • Naismith and Fletcher are now bit-part Scotland players.  Work hard but no real quality.
  • Burke.  Still looks promising but not a starter.  He plays the last 15-20 minutes for Leipzig.  We should treat him the same.

Overall, my biggest gripe is that we AGAIN, look completely pedestrian and lacking guile and structure against a very mediocre team.  I can't remember the last time we took a game to a team, playing with pace, purpose, and determination.

I feel like Sunday will be much of the same.  It surely cannot be worse.

Strachan's reign appears to be coming to a rather sad end, but I take zero joy from thinking this, given the complete dearth of reasonable options for his replacement.

I have never more pessimistic about the national team.

I understand the theory of the inverted wingers (left footers on the right, right footers on the left) as it enables the winger to cut in and take a shot on his strong foot, or cut in and leave the wing-back to bomb forward into the space.

However we just don't have the players or the athleticism/discipline for it to work effectively. That was obvious tonight when we couldn't even cut though Canada ffs.

Besides, I'm old fashioned. Give me a 442 any day. Full backs who get nose bleeds when they cross the halfway line, left footers on the left, right footers on the right. Those simple, basic formations appear to have gone forever though.....

7 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

I understand the theory of the inverted wingers (left footers on the right, right footers on the left) as it enables the winger to cut in and take a shot on his strong foot, or cut in and leave the wing-back to bomb forward into the space.

However we just don't have the players or the athleticism/discipline for it to work effectively. That was obvious tonight when we couldn't even cut though Canada ffs.

Besides, I'm old fashioned. Give me a 442 any day. Full backs who get nose bleeds when they cross the halfway line, left footers on the left, right footers on the right. Those simple, basic formations appear to have gone forever though.....

That is pretty much spot on. We are not Brazil. Play to our strengths as a nation. Defenders defend. Wingers wing it.

unfortunately Strachan is a fvking cvnt and will think we are total fitba' Holland as usual. 

2 hours ago, kumnio said:

Do you mean inverted wingers? Bale, Ronaldo, Robben, Neymar, Messi, Ribery, Hazard are all of that nature. I don't see the issue if the team is set out properly. Unfortunately it isn't.

2 minutes ago, Mcfadden11 said:

Do you mean inverted wingers? Bale, Ronaldo, Robben, Neymar, Messi, Ribery, Hazard are all of that nature. I don't see the issue if the team is set out properly. Unfortunately it isn't.

Are you fvking drunk? The last time we had somebody close to that was.... fvk me, somefecker help me.... 

2 hours ago, Mcfadden11 said:

Thats exactly it. Just set the team up correctly and our wingers will instantly turn into Ronaldo and Robben. Jesus Christ lol

8 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

By the way, if any Canadian fans are reading this - you can be very proud of your national football team :ok:. At least they care about playing for their nation. Best of luck in the future.

Cheers Thistle. It was what it was and it was pretty ugly at that, but we played with pride at least. Holiett was even working hard. Ledgerwood and Piette played well and James and Straith weren't bad together for the first time. I was very pleased for Aird. His (Glasgow-born) dad died last month and I know the goal meant a lot to him.

I watch Scotland regularly and I'm not sure I can recall seeing them playing so passively. So few challenges and they gave Canada so much time on the ball. I'm don't rate Scott Brown all that highly, but the side was desperate for some of what he brings. I couldn't believe the number of times Aird was allowed to cut across the face of the area unchallenged. 

Given the options, I'm fine with Anya on the right on Sunday, but some context for his performance. Hoilett was better than usual, but he still doesn't defend much. He at least tracked back into his own half. And Max Tissot, our left back for the night, was released by Montreal (it takes a lot for Montreal to release a french-Canadian) and was just loaned out to a U.S. lower level team from DC United. And I don't think he's even a back. He's a midfielder in my book and always has been for his clubs. I couldn't believe Snodgrass didn't trouble Tissot more. As a positive Tissot's hair was significantly less stupid than it was the last time we saw him, so there was that.

Good luck on Sunday.

Players lookeded totally uniterested as if international football is a  major inconvenience. You get the impression Strachan is doing the SFA a favour staying in the job until a replacement can be found on the basis finding anyone willing to take on a thankless task is proving impossible.

51 minutes ago, EddardStark said:

Players lookeded totally uniterested as if international football is a  major inconvenience. You get the impression Strachan is doing the SFA a favour staying in the job until a replacement can be found on the basis finding anyone willing to take on a thankless task is proving impossible.

Strachan has previously said he doesn't like frendlies.

Strachan is more about protecting the players that he he is doing whats right by the team or showing pride. Remember his comment after Lithuania............."we have to remember these players don't get paid for this"

57 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39361127

Strachan; "this game shows what happens when you pick so many players not playing regularly"

why not pick ones who are playing like every other nation does!?

He also references Barry Bannan and Charlie Mulgrew as having good games! 

Might not even watch the game at the weekend. On the TV

I aw a great retort to this. "the scotland team has become a fitness camp for players on the bench in England"

Guest BlueGaz

haha, that sums it up nicely.  I thought Strachan's interview said it all really, without actually saying it.  if all we can focus on is that some players got 90 minutes, pretty disgraceful to be fair and those that went deserve their money back.